Vultures

TboneD

Yes. Please kill em every chance you get. We have WAY too many here in middle TN and yes, they eat calves. I've seen that and a couple of years ago they got to a doe I shot early in the morning before I could get back to drag it out. Thankfully they hadn't been on it long enough to peck into any meat besides the rump.

Carlos

There's often-times huge flocks of these Black Vultures around the area lakes.
I wonder if anybody's actually going to shoot them though…

Biggun4214

Bass tournament weigh ins have increased the number of black vultures at the Dandridge boat ramp. Many fish that are"alive" at weigh in soon die and wash back around the ramp. Another place on Douglas is Swann's Marina. They have a fish cleaning station. There are ample roosting areas around both. Both places have problems with otters also. Swann's has more otters and Dandridge has more vultures.

megalomaniac

is it now legal to kill black vultures?

I found this article but I don't know if it's legit.

https://blog.tenthamendmentcenter.c...s-federal-protection-of-destructive-vultures/
We kill them during calving season with a Fed permit authorizing us to do so. Had to prove actual damage (they puked on a calf and melted his hair and hide all the way to the muscle). Be nice just to blast away year round, but we are careful to do everything by the books.

And I don't think they should be classified as vultures... they are buzzards. Way more different than turkey vultures than just the head color. Turkey vultures are a valuable asset, and don't attack live animals.

MUP

Bass tournament weigh ins have increased the number of black vultures at the Dandridge boat ramp. Many fish that are"alive" at weigh in soon die and wash back around the ramp. Another place on Douglas is Swann's Marina. They have a fish cleaning station. There are ample roosting areas around both. Both places have problems with otters also. Swann's has more otters and Dandridge has more vultures.
Would seem to be a good cause to not catch and release in this instance? Maybe donate to the locals who actually eat what they catch? Might help curb some of the dead ones washing up on the banks.

Or, better yet, have a big fish fry after the tournament! 👍🏻 Any "pro" who doesn't partake of the days catch is immediately disqualified! 😀

Latest posts