Questions for you rabbit hunting experts

MidTennFisher

My father and I have made a few rabbit hunting outings over the past month or so and we're expending entirely too much energy to maybe jump one rabbit, sometimes none. We don't have dogs to hunt with, we just stay 20 yards apart and walk through thick briars, honeysuckle, fallen trees, anything that looks like excellent rabbit cover. I'd find it very difficult to believe that there actually aren't any rabbits in the stuff we stomp through, especially with the food nearby such thick shelter. I don't know too much about hunting rabbits so I'm wondering a few things.

1] On New Years Eve, for example, we stomped all through Williamsport and didn't jump a single one. Does that area get hit hard with the Beagles and we're just too late since the rabbits have been thinned out? I know you guys with the dogs have some awesome rabbit hunts.
2] We did notice a lot of holes among that thick stuff. Is it possible all the rabbits are just going underground long before we get close enough to see them? Is it possible they're taking off way ahead of us because surely they know we're coming from 50 yards away? Perhaps that's why this game is a lot more productive with a dog or several so they can chase them back towards you.

My dad did get a few rabbits last year and gave me one, its one of the best tasting meats I've ever eaten so I'd sure like to get some more. Is there something else I should be looking for habitat wise that I'm missing? I do like spending a crisp day in the woods but man, hours of walking and getting stabbed with briar thorns needs to yield a meal or two of rabbit or it's just not worth it. Any advice you seasoned rabbit hunters can give is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

bcartervol98

I wish I had advice for ya man. I grew up stomping fence-rows for rabbits and always managed to get a few each trip. It is tough though, sometimes you can walk 5 feet away from one and he will freeze and not jump especially the colder it is. I grew up in West Tennessee and never hunted with dogs and many times would get a limit without going out of view from my house. Now that I have moved here I have not seen a single rabbit outside in my neighborhood lol. Not sure if they are sparse in East TN or if I just haven't been in the right places. In fairness I haven't rabbit hunted but have been all over deer hunting and scouting and now dove hunting till the season closes and will get after squirrels. I wish I knew somewhere here that has any numbers of rabbits.

My friends that still live in West TN say the rabbits there have gotten sparse as well and blame the coyotes but not sure if that is right or not.

Mud Creek

Im no expert but Id say your kicking them up without knowing especially if cover is thick.

MidTennFisher

Well I'm not giving up! I plan on several more trips this Winter stomping around the thick stuff during the day for rabbits and the last hour or so of sunshine I'll sit still and knock down some squirrels. I'll try to slow down a bit more and be more alert. Who knows how many I have jumped and just didn't notice them take off.

I do see droppings in some areas as well as small trails into the thick stuff that I assume some of which have to be made by rabbits. I know they're there, or they were there at one time. Predators may have gotten some, hunters may have gotten some, but they can't get them all! I'll keep trying!

X-Tennessean

MidTennFisher":14mvqwa2 said:
Well I'm not giving up! I plan on several more trips this Winter stomping around the thick stuff during the day for rabbits and the last hour or so of sunshine I'll sit still and knock down some squirrels. I'll try to slow down a bit more and be more alert. Who knows how many I have jumped and just didn't notice them take off.

I do see droppings in some areas as well as small trails into the thick stuff that I assume some of which have to be made by rabbits. I know they're there, or they were there at one time. Predators may have gotten some, hunters may have gotten some, but they can't get them all! I'll keep trying!

Is there a particular reason you don't want some beagles ? If you have never hunted behind a pack of beagles you are in for a treat!! They are not hard to train as most pick it up on instinct, your already out there stomping around so get ya a pup and let him tag along with ya! If you can find you an old dog to put down with it that just adds a bonus. To me there is nothing better than the sound of a pack of beagles hot on the trail and I feel you would enjoy it as well.
If the pup doesn't work out as a hunter they make excellent family pets.
Good luck and stay at it.

MidTennFisher

X-Tennessean":1hc15oru said:
MidTennFisher":1hc15oru said:

Is there a particular reason you don't want some beagles ? If you have never hunted behind a pack of beagles you are in for a treat!! They are not hard to train as most pick it up on instinct, your already out there stomping around so get ya a pup and let him tag along with ya! If you can find you an old dog to put down with it that just adds a bonus. To me there is nothing better than the sound of a pack of beagles hot on the trail and I feel you would enjoy it as well.
If the pup doesn't work out as a hunter they make excellent family pets.
Good luck and stay at it.

No reason at all, I love dogs, especially dogs that serve a purpose! We have a yellow lab/golden retriever mix who would LOVE to come in the woods with me and chase bunnies but she needs a bit more discipline so I know I can maker her stop and come back if she goes too far so she doesn't get lost. I took her to my parent's land a week ago and walked her with my Father and wife back there for a while hoping we'd see a rabbit. We did and we brought the dog over to where it was, she immediately picked up the scent and was pulling so hard to try and follow it. I do someday plan on having a beagle and will train him/her to hunt or maybe train the dog I have now. It's on the list of things to do when we have a little more time to put into it.

Mike Belt

A lab is fully capable of tracking a rabbit. The only problem is that you'll never know where they are. A rabbit can lead a dog/s far away. When they turn and head back you'll never hear them coming. A lab doesn't bark on trail. The beagle does.

drrxnupe

Mike Belt":aysb0i1y said:
A lab is fully capable of tracking a rabbit. The only problem is that you'll never know where they are. A rabbit can lead a dog/s far away. When they turn and head back you'll never hear them coming. A lab doesn't bark on trail. The beagle does.

What he said...gotta have a loud and persistent barking dog to make it easier. I guess you could always put a bell or chime on a quiet one.

tailchaser

If your hunting WMA land then that may be your problem ,them places are hunted to death and have very few rabbits,I hunt alot of WMA and corp land with dogs and dont jump but 1-2 ,but any dog that will get in the brush and just roam around will get a rabbit to jump don't have to be a beagle the best jump dog I ever had was a spitz she would wear a brush pile or briar patch out .but if you don't take a dog just stomp around hit briar patches with sticks throw rocks or sticks in the thick stuff and watch for them to run it may be a long day and a lot of walking but if there's rabbits there you'll jump one

turkeyhunter

A good jump dog will find a rabbit, if they are no rabbits he will make one. lol If you have a good jump dog keep it dont ever sale it no matter what is offered!

Latest posts