Pretty good evening hunt

MickThompson

I got off a little early yesterday so grabbed a buddy and we headed out for an evening squirrel hunt. Perfectly windless, warmer evening right before the big chill made for some pretty good conditions.

We hit the woods with about an hour of decent light left. As soon as we got in the woods, we were being barked at by a squirrel we never found in the tree. Maybe 100 yards later, the first made a mad dash past me and the 20 made short work of it. A few minutes later, I heard my buddy shoot his .22 once- always a good sign! I eased on down towards the property line, and as got to the boundary fence, I found another sitting in a maple. He made it to a big snag, but was immediately chased back out by another squirrel. One of the peeked over a limb to see where I was- a shotgunner's favorite shot, as the tree protects the meat. I peeled him off the tree, and turned up the hill to find another 80 yards away sitting on a log. Things got hectic 50 yards later- there were 3 in the same tree, chasing each other, oblivious to the gunfire. I cut one out of the top, then got another "peeker". The third managed to escape.

My buddy never fired another shot. We called it a night and headed back to the truck with a sackful on a very short, fast action hunt.

bd25a206a553ac17c08080132add1519.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts