Opinions about Min/Max loads??

DaveTN

I'm making up some Cowboy loads. Their rules are they can't exceed 1000 fps for revolvers and 1400fps for rifle.

I want to make up .38 special's that I can use the same round in 5.5" revolvers and 18" lever rifle.

These are light loads, I don't have any concerns about blowing a gun up, but I do have concerns about squibs.

I'm using Titegroup, 125 grain RNFP Hi-Tek coated from Missouri Bullet co, CCI #500 SPP.

Hodgdon data center says for 125gr cast LRNFP with Titegroup "starting load" 3.2gr, 856fps "Maximum load"3.8gr, 985fps. with 7.7" barrel.

So here's my question.. Common sense tells me to start right in the middle of these numbers at 3.5gr. I'm not at the max, I shouldn't be over the velocity, but I also shouldn't be running the risk of a squib.

Is something wrong with my thinking?

nso123

I shoot Steel Challenge, so I have some experience with this. We don't have to meet a power factor like USPSA or IDPA, so it's common to load rounds down. In my pistol caliber carbine I am running a 125gr 9mm load at 850 fps. This requires going below the listed minimum load which is cause to be very cautious. If you are within the boundaries of the published load data you will be fine. I will tell you, from my experience, if you are in the 900-925 fps range out of your pistol, you will probably be over 1000 in your rifle. Start toward the bottom of the published data and see how the recoil impulse is for you.

DaveTN

I shoot Steel Challenge, so I have some experience with this. We don't have to meet a power factor like USPSA or IDPA, so it's common to load rounds down. In my pistol caliber carbine I am running a 125gr 9mm load at 850 fps. This requires going below the listed minimum load which is cause to be very cautious. If you are within the boundaries of the published load data you will be fine. I will tell you, from my experience, if you are in the 900-925 fps range out of your pistol, you will probably be over 1000 in your rifle. Start toward the bottom of the published data and see how the recoil impulse is for you.
Thanks. The rifle can go to 1400, the pistol is limited to 1000. But that's what I was wondering; if the low end of the published data is good. Many years ago I was shooting next to a friend. He was shooting commercial loaded reloads. He was rapid firing and had a squib. He bulged the barrel on a S&W 66. No one was hurt, but obviously he had to have the barrel replaced.

If you have ever watched the CAS shooters when the shoot their levers; it's pretty impressive. I think that if you noticed you had a squib, the next round would already be fired. I'm not real recoil sensitive, I'm old and am considering doing this for fun. I have no expectations of being the fastest shooter, and I don't want to destroy a gun trying.

nso123

Thanks. The rifle can go to 1400, the pistol is limited to 1000. But that's what I was wondering; if the low end of the published data is good. Many years ago I was shooting next to a friend. He was shooting commercial loaded reloads. He was rapid firing and had a squib. He bulged the barrel on a S&W 66. No one was hurt, but obviously he had to have the barrel replaced.

If you have ever watched the CAS shooters when the shoot their levers; it's pretty impressive. I think that if you noticed you had a squib, the next round would already be fired. I'm not real recoil sensitive, I'm old and am considering doing this for fun. I have no expectations of being the fastest shooter, and I don't want to destroy a gun trying.
It's usually a combination of the range officer and the shooter that catch squibs. We are hitting 5 targets in ~ 1.5 seconds, so stuff happens pretty fast.

dogsled

2-Step Enabled
I mainly shoot 38 and load plenty of them at the starting load. The only squib load I ever had was due to an issue with a Lee autodisk and flake powder bridging (700x). Titegroup meters much better and I have never had an issue with it. Lots of the loading manuals have reduced power cowboy action loads listed.

DaveB

For new loads I never split the difference. Well, hardly ever.......

Last time I did so...9MM Sig...CFEPistol....CCI500...once-fired brass....115 gr FMJ
....9MM Beretta 92FS...CFEPistol...CCI500...Once-fired brass...115gr FMJ

The min load was stove-piping the Sig. No issues with the 92. Went from 4.9 to 5.3 grains..2nd round blew the primer out, 360'd the case, damaged the trigger assembly. Fortunately my Son was not injured and the Sig repair bill was right at 200 bucks. Remaining 50 rounds loaded that way went into the 92, no issues.

Turns out the 92 loved the heavier load and the Sig went down to 5.0 then to 5.1 where we found an accuracy node.

Considerinig I load my '06 with 60 gr of IMR4350 with a 150 A-Bond or Partition, going max+ doesn't faze me but I learned a lesson with pistols. A very very little goes a very long way in the pistol world.

Since fingers and eyes are hard to come by I would spend the extra time and resources to move up the charge ladder more slowly.

Latest posts