Need some guidance please

tree_ghost

So my youngest son has developed a very healthy appetite for Indian relics which I think is awesome. When I was about his age we lived in Ga on a lake. When it drained in the winter time you could walk out and find points and pottery all over. However that's really the extent of my relic hunting experience...so I'm pretty much a novice. Fast forward to today…I secured a spot to relic hunt with my son this weekend. It is a very secluded property in Woodbury with a decent size natural spring and a large collapsed cave, that was able to be entered 40 years ago, but has since collapsed. The spring and the cave are within 20 yards of each other and the landowner tells me this place hasn't been relic hunted since he owned it. What do you think is the most effective approach to take is to a place like this? Just prospect the creek? Dig test holes and sift it? Try to locate higher flat ground in close proximity and dig there? I'm also nervous that we will throw away a tool that we don't recognize. What resources do you recommend for referencing any relics? Thanks for your time.

XCR-2

Do some digging and sifting out from the cave. If you find flint then keep digging. Depending on the layout of the land is how I would approach where I hunted. Don't worry about throwing anything away, keep it and post pics here and you'll get an answer. YouTube has lots of videos on artifact hunting and you can learn a lot there. But the only real way to figure it out is boots on the ground and shovels in the dirt.

tree_ghost

if there are any overhanging ledges where the Indians could escape the rain, dig there
The old collapsed cave that is right next to the spring was plenty large enough to shelter in. I just don't know if I should try to dig down and find the original cave entrance floor or stick to the area outside the entrance by the spring. I'll probably start in the spring since it will be easier work. If I find anything good then maybe plan a dig?

cbhunter

The old collapsed cave that is right next to the spring was plenty large enough to shelter in. I just don't know if I should try to dig down and find the original cave entrance floor or stick to the area outside the entrance by the spring. I'll probably start in the spring since it will be easier work. If I find anything good then maybe plan a dig?
They used the cave without a doubt I suspect. No right or wrong answer. Get in there, get your feet wet and see where it leads you. Best of luck

tree_ghost

I think we found one in the creek bed… we worked our butts off digging test holes around the spring and mouth of the old cave. This was the only thing that looked man made to me. Had a great time and we're looking into some new spots to try in a part of the state that had a more permanent Indian presence. All my research seems to point to this area not being inhabited by resident natives but it was more so a shared hunting ground.

Attachments

• IMG_8020.jpeg
    IMG_8020.jpeg
    176.4 KB · Views: 87

cbhunter

I think we found one in the creek bed… we worked our butts off digging test holes around the spring and mouth of the old cave. This was the only thing that looked man made to me. Had a great time and we're looking into some new spots to try in a part of the state that had a more permanent Indian presence. All my research seems to point to this area not being inhabited by resident natives but it was more so a shared hunting ground.
Without a doubt that's a point! That's pretty dang good on first hunt and considering the inexperience. Congrats!

Hduke86

Pretty cool to hold something like that in your hand knowing someone made that a long time ago before modern conveniences and they actually used it to gather food.

tree_ghost

Without a doubt that's a point! That's pretty dang good on first hunt and considering the inexperience. Congrats!
Thank you we had a blast. It was almost overwhelming because of the amount of rock coming off the ridges into the creek. I'm working on purchasing some books to help me try and determine good "working" rock from limestone or other hard rocks

Hduke86

Thank you we had a blast. It was almost overwhelming because of the amount of rock coming off the ridges into the creek. I'm working on purchasing some books to help me try and determine good "working" rock from limestone or other hard rocks
When I get home this evening I'll check over at my neighbors house. I know he has a TON of books downstairs in the den. He worked for the National Parks for decades and if I recall he had numerous books about arrowheads and off the land type living. If I find any of them, consider them yours.

tree_ghost

When I get home this evening I'll check over at my neighbors house. I know he has a TON of books downstairs in the den. He worked for the National Parks for decades and if I recall he had numerous books about arrowheads and off the land type living. If I find any of them, consider them yours.
Houston thank you buddy! Your generocity knows no end…

Latest posts