Mouse proofing ATV wiring ?

Kelljp

Anyone out there found anything that deters rodents from chewing on electrical.wiring ?
Started working on 4 wheeler and quickly found mouses nest in wiring. Seems like every year I'm spending money on some piece of equipment that they have caused damage to.
Surely there is something besides putting poison out to discourage them from equipment infestation.

BPhunter

Anyone out there found anything that deters rodents from chewing on electrical.wiring ?
Started working on 4 wheeler and quickly found mouses nest in wiring. Seems like every year I'm spending money on some piece of equipment that they have caused damage to.
Surely there is something besides putting poison out to discourage them from equipment infestation.
It's the insulation they like, something to do with vegetable oil. My shop is pretty well sealed and we have a crap load of outdoor cats to depopulate mice and gophers(works great). I also keep bar bait around the floors of shop in small traps.

Gravey

Poison is about all I do along with sticky traps. Thought about a barn cat but the boat is in there and I'd kill a cat for sharpening it's claws on the seats or swim platform.

I replaced a battery and air filter several weeks back on my 4-wheeler. When I got to the air filter there was an old nest all in there. Suckers had to climb up the motor to the air hole (pipe) that leads to the filter. Totally shocked me.

Livin2hunt

We use poison bags called havoc up in Illinois. We put them in the barn where we put our 4wheelers and stuff. We also use it in the house up there. House sits in middle of 200 acres of crops and we were covered up with mice every fall when they started combining. Haven't seen a mouse since we started using it last fall. A little pricey but it has worked for us. And no smell of the dead ones. I believe our coops have it here along with ace hardware.

BPhunter

I use "PB Blaster" penetration lube.
A mechanic put me onto this.

Park ATV or SxS in the shade and spray all the wires as possible and let it air dry.

The above works great on my mini excavator.

For inside an ac/heated cab a fresh bar of Irish Spring Soap works great.
I forgot all about those remedies! Thanks man! PB Blaster is a really all around great product. Don't even use WD-40 anymore. And the Irish Spring soap....awesome!

Planking

JT Eaton blocks, drowning buckets and a few victors is what i use. I also put steel wool in all the bottom cracks of my metal building. I had the wires chewed up once and that was the last straw for me.

Bgoodman30

I use "PB Blaster" penetration lube.
A mechanic put me onto this.

Park ATV or SxS in the shade and spray all the wires as possible and let it air dry.

The above works great on my mini excavator.

For inside an ac/heated cab a fresh bar of Irish Spring Soap works great.

Good tip! I definitely believe nothing will come around that awful smelling stuff!

WestTn Huntin man

2-Step Enabled
Ground Hot Pepper and moth balls scattered around where you park it. You can spray Tabasco on the wires and under the seat add a little dish washing soap to make it stick. Just be careful the mice get the pepper and not you when working on it.

dogsled

2-Step Enabled
I had a problem with chipmunks gnawing wires on my stuff. Found a recipe on UTube for a cayenne pepper spray. Don't remember what else goes in it, but it seems to work.

rifle02

I've had problems with mice getting into a camper at this time of year. They get into a camper and also in a storage shed. So last week I tried a new product called "Just One Bite". Anyone tried it? I will check on the place again next week and find out if it's any good.

Latest posts