Modified choke and shot size

Buzzard Breath

I've been following the threads where captian hook and Wes have suggested using a modified choke instead of a turkey choke while hunting. I currently shoot a Madd Max choke but since 100% of my kills have been within 30 yards, I've often thougt about going to a factory full choke, I've just never gone out and patterned my gun for it. It looks like the next half way decend day, I'll be getting my gun out and seeing how it patterns with a modified and full chokes at 25 yards and closer.

But, my question is, Is there any advantage to shooting a larger shot like a 4, or would the smaller shot size of a 6 be just as effective at these ranges? Lets say they both produced a basketball size pattern at 25 yards. Because the 6 shot has a higher pellet count, it would have more pellets in the heck and head, but the 4 shot is a heavier shot with more "knock-down" power to it. Is the "knock-down" power neccessary at this yardage?

Grizzly Johnson

I would have to say not, the knock down would come into play at the longer distances. At the distance you are saying, I would go with the #6's and the modified. Full choke & #6's might even get you out to 30 yards. That's just my opinion though....You just really need to shoot your gun and see how it performs with the different chokes.

Gravey

I shoot a Mossberg 835 with the extra full choke that came with it. My shells are 3 1/2" Winchester Supreme #5's and I've killed them out to 50 yards. 4's didn't pattern well in a 500 I had so when I bought the 835 I stayed with 5's and they were fine. Like Griz said, shooting it to see what it will do is the only way to be sure.

Buzzard Breath

I must not have worded my question correctly.

Assuming 4's and 6's pattern the same out of my gun, what is the advantage of shotting 4's instead of 6's?

TheLBLman

#6 shot have enough energy out to 40 yards to completely pass thru a turkey's head ---- that's more than enough.

Particularly with a modified choke, I would go with #6 over #5 (or #4) provided I obtained "uniform" patterns with the #6 shot.

Although it may be hard or inconvenient to find, the most deadly "shot size" out to 40 yards (if you're always going for a head/neck shot) may be #7 shot, particularly the newer "high-density" shot that's at least 10% heavier than lead. You should get penetration comparable to #6 shot, but with a denser pattern.

I've killed turkeys with #7 1/2 standard lead shot, but consider it lacking on penetration past 35 yards.

When I "recommended" a modified choke, that was more a recommendation to beginner or less experienced turkey hunters, although I personally would have killed almost as many turkeys over time had I been using a modified more instead of a full or extra-full "turkey" choke.

Certainly over 90% of the turkeys I've killed have been at ranges not exceeding 35 yards, and simply not taking shots over 40 yards has not really cost me many birds. Particularly when considered I would later call those out-of-range birds in later or simply kill them later on another day, sometimes the next year.

Considering the fact that most turkeys are killed by most hunters at under 40 yards, it's possible the "average" turkey hunter might just bag more turkeys with a "modified" choke instead of an extra-full "turkey" choke. Many turkeys are simply missed at 15 yards with these "turkey" chokes, whereas they would have been dead birds with a more open choke.

Although I've yet to pattern these particular shells with a modified choke, some very appealing inexpensive loads are the Fiocci "turkey" shells loaded with #6 nickel-plated lead shot. The nickel plating is supposed to be harder, thus less deformed shot and greater penetration, than copper plated.

Grizzly Johnson

As per TWRA 08/09 Reg book:

LEGAL HUNTING EQUIPMENT:
Shotguns (28 gauge 1. or larger) using
ammunition loaded with number 4 shot
or smaller. No restriction on number of
rounds in magazine.

Latest posts