Food Plots Help with new property

huntingfool

I recently purchased a 150ac farm. I want to create a couple of food plots but I'm not sure where to start. I have attached a pic of the property. The yellow "x" are fields that I lease to a guy to cut hay on so those are off limits. The green "dots" are small fields that were grown up that I just bush hogged. The fields at the top of the pic are grown up with cedars just a little too big for my bush hog. Any ideas on were I should make some plots? Also, when should I start and how do I go about it?

Also, the property has some ponds but they won't hold water anymore. I was thinking about putting a watering trough somewhere. Is there a place that is better than others?

Thanks, and sorry for so many questions.
pic

Boll Weevil

Congrats on the new farm! Now is definitely the time to prep your ground for plots as you may have years of compaction, acidity, weeds, saplings, and seedbank to work on. Most of your spots look like they're located really nicely; good places near the interior.

Depending on how big the woody stuff is, a few hours of dozer time might make economical sense. Get the trash out of the way first: mow, dozer, plow, or spray with the correct herbicide. The hot/dry summer months are perfect for getting rid of the unwanted stuff. Prep your soil: disc, lime, and let it mellow until planting time this fall. Planting next...there's tons of choices you should get plenty of ideas on here. I'm pretty much a Durana clover guy as we rotate corn, beans, and wheat throughout the rest of the farm. Easy to establish, maintain, drought resistant, and lasts for YEARS if taken care of.

Let us know what you decide and good luck!

tn droptine

Best advice I can give other than what BW said is spend the couple of bucks it costs to have a soil sample sent off - it will save you a lot of time and money in the long run!

de novo

That's an awesome looking place.

There are mixed opinions on stagnant water sources (like water troughs) contributing to EHD.

MossyOakLandman

Congratulations, That's a nice looking property. I would resist the temptation to put in multiple plots. Most of your boundary lines are open. The block of woods in the center looks like an ideal spot. it is out of view from your neighbors and has several travel corridors leading to it (fence rows) The triangular block of woods in the southeast looks like another spot. just remember, stay off your property line.

Boll Weevil

If they are pretty small, you might be able to get many of them out with a box blade; just drop your rippers down as far as they'll go and adjust your toplink appropriately. A chisel plow might work as well.

Provided they don't resprout, they'll likely be good and dead/dry in several months and you can more easily pull them out and clean up any roots and trash. Building a good plot from scratch (or reclaiming old) can be very much a process.

Hunter 257W

That's a great looking farm for deer hunting. Lots of little hidden pockets among the fencerows and partially grown over fields. You can put as many food plots in as your time and money will allow. Being that several of your green dots are on the North side of the woods though I will say that I've had bad luck with Fall/Winter food plots planted right up against the North side of mature trees. Apparently there isn't enough light. You can still plant those spots but there will be a strip 100 feet or more wide along the North edge of the big trees if your results match mines. If the clearings are wide enough to plant further out than that, I say go for it!

HOOK

Things you need to consider:
#1 Your plots should lay from a south to north configuration
for best results.

#2 Wind direction- Consider where you will post (Either tree stand or blind)

#3 Entry points. How can you best enter your area without detection.

#4 Close Visible sign- Travel routes: Trails, old rubs, scrapes,

#5 Consider having a large primary plot and a smaller secondary so you don't over hunt a single area.

This should get you started.......

Latest posts