Green Beans??

spctbone

2-Step Enabled
The lease I am on has leased the fields to a farmer who planted about 300 Acres of green beans. The farmer decided that they were not "fit" to harvest and has left them standing. Will Deer eat them? Most are turning brown but there are several new shoots growing. I guess my question is would it be worth setting a stand over the fields? We are not seeing a whole lot of oaks dropping and those that have been are dropping very small acorns. Also, I am "new" to hunting fields. what would be the best way to hunt them as far as things to look for when selecting a stand site? Thanks

BSK

Deer will eat them while they are green and growing, but the plant will have little nutritional value once they die.

spctbone

2-Step Enabled
So would you set up to hunt the fields? There is new sprouts growing and it looks like there is clover growing between the rows.

BSK

Right now, I would look long and hard for good white oak acorns. The deer are really shifting their feeding patterns to acorns.

spctbone

2-Step Enabled
Thats the thing, We are not finding alot of acorns, Finding very little actually. The land is actively being clear cut and just about all of the BIG mature oaks are being cut. We are finding young oaks that are dropping but the acorns are very small. The hull is bigger than the actual nut. There are a few oaks along the field edges that are dropping pretty good though. We were hoping the farmer would turn the green beans under and plant winter wheat or something but it dont look like he is going to. Next year he is planning on planting the fields in Soy Beans.

southernhunter

spctbone . my dad is a green bean farmer. since they lease land all over tn its very possible its one of his plantings . last year he planted right at 3000 acres of green beans, i would hunt the beans deer love them but the will be gone the frost .

Latest posts