Got new binos

LanceS4803

After MUCH research and deliberation, I finally broke down and got the binoculars I have been wanting for almost 2 years. I even talked to the Vortex rep at the NRA show last year.
Reviews put them at almost the same quality as Swarovski, at half the price.
Cabela's had these in their Bargain Cave at 35% off, and yesterday they had a military discount of another 10%. So, even though I won't get to use them on their intended hunts in UT this year, Buy Once-Cry Once, right?

Vortex Razor HD 12x50

LanceS4803

Next on the shopping list along with one of their adapters.
From looking at tripods, the specs and prices are all over the place! I don't want to get crazy with $300 carbon fiber/titanium that weighs under a pound. Just functional, stable and moderately light weight that can double for use with spotting scope.
Got any suggestions?

These are intended to be used for glassing out West, so a good tripod and nice butt pad are needed.

Boone 58

Looks great...........I cant handle anything stronger than 8x42 without a very good rest as the magnification makes any body movement horrible to look thru binos because the slightest movement is just too much. I have never looked thru the vortex, but I love my Steiner merlins.

LanceS4803

I'm a die hard Steiner fan, but they didn't have anything this large.
My hunting buddy didn't draw a goat tage like he thought he would, so maybe I will get to use these on a pronghorn hunt.

PillsburyDoughboy

LanceS4803":1np9hc1g said:
After MUCH research and deliberation, I finally broke down and got the binoculars I have been wanting for almost 2 years. I even talked to the Vortex rep at the NRA show last year.
Reviews put them at almost the same quality as Swarovski, at half the price.
Cabela's had these in their Bargain Cave at 35% off, and yesterday they had a military discount of another 10%. So, even though I won't get to use them on their intended hunts in UT this year, Buy Once-Cry Once, right?

Vortex Razor HD 12x50
Gonna need a bigger boat. :)

PillsburyDoughboy

LanceS4803":7008cfeb said:
True!
But the view is pretty amazing from my dinghy.

From those of us who have been there and done that ... Good luck. Under real field usage your going to need a truck mount or a pod of some type to get any real,practical use out of those.

Generally speaking those type are used for glassing miles.. Not yards.. They are used for picking up shadows on the canyon walls at a 1000 yards away. Unless you are planning a goat hunt or have a truck hunt of so,e type in mind for them.. Their use is going to be very limited.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

LanceS4803

These are intended to be used when I go back to Utah to hunt.
Glassing from hilltops for muleys, sitting behind a tripod, is the way to go.
My buddy is within a year of getting his mountain goat tag and I still have a pronghorn hunt coming up.
These will see plenty of use.

Woodman

Just got some 10x42 Vortex Razors......I did a lot of research also, and I'm very impressed with the quality of the glass and construction. I had been using some Nikon Monarch X's and these Vortex Razors blow the Nikons away in virtually every category.

Latest posts