Gobbling Hen

Layne

I was hunting opening morning in MS and working a hen on the roost hoping to get her to drag along a gobbler... she eventually flew to a tree near me and became really vocal... She was probably the raspiest hen I've ever heard.
We had a fun conversation and eventually we ended up calling in 3 gobblers, mostly her I'm sure... she pitched down and worked her way up on the ridge I was on at about 30 yards from me, the gobblers had hung up strutting on the next ridge over so I cut at the gobblers and all 3 gobbled, as soon as they gobbled the hen quickly gobbled back at them...
In my years of hunting that was the first time I had experienced seeing a hen gobble.
I did end up taking one of those gobblers but the really memorable experience was hearing that hen gobble... cool stuff.

Popcorn

2-Step Enabled
Cookeville, TN Cadiz, KY and random other places
I was hunting opening morning in MS and working a hen on the roost hoping to get her to drag along a gobbler... she eventually flew to a tree near me and became really vocal... She was probably the raspiest hen I've ever heard.
We had a fun conversation and eventually we ended up calling in 3 gobblers, mostly her I'm sure... she pitched down and worked her way up on the ridge I was on at about 30 yards from me, the gobblers had hung up strutting on the next ridge over so I cut at the gobblers and all 3 gobbled, as soon as they gobbled the hen quickly gobbled back at them...
In my years of hunting that was the first time I had experienced seeing a hen gobble.
I did end up taking one of those gobblers but the really memorable experience was hearing that hen gobble... cool stuff.
Great hunt story. I have never encountered a hen gobbling with gobblers available to her. I did have a domestic hen I held for breeding for 2 months before bringing a new gobbler home. In April. She would strut and gobble but when I brought the gobbler in she became submissive and never did it again.

cbhunter

@gasman and myself were hunting 3 years ago and watched one gobble over and over for what seemed like 20 minutes

gobbler32

Myself and a friend of mine witnessed a hen gobbling on the roost and after she flew down. It was probably about 15yrs ago and I haven't seen or heard another hen trying to gobble. It sounded pretty bad but you could tell what she was trying to do

Bgoodman30

Watched one strut and gobble for about 15-20mins 4-5 years ago. It would jump up on a log and let loose. Definitely a less powerful gobble than her boyfriend.. Thought for sure it would bring him in but he never showed...

LongBranch470

I had a large group of hens fly down off the roost in front of me in a field this past deer season. I was in a shooting house and had a hen gobble 10 yards away. I kept looking with the binos for a Tom but it was definitely a hen.

Rockhound

I messed with one last year in the afternoon that probably gobbled 75 times, had her from 20 to 100 yards the whole time. Listened to her gobble the next morning on and off the roost. Called 2 in in the fall once that both gobbled several times

Layne

Very cool Layne. In all my years of turkey hunting, I have never witnessed a hen gobble. Now you have me wondering if I have ever heard a hen gobble, unbeknownst to me, because I did not see the turkey that gobbled.
you could definitely tell the difference between her gobble and the gobblers... her's was weaker, more of a young jake gobble.

Southern Sportsman

Couple years ago in Henderson county, I called in a hen that gobbled three times on her approach. She was by herself mid-morning and mostly yelped and cut angrily, but when she got especially riled up, she would gobble.

Latest posts