Daughter’s First is a Double Beard

TN Larry

My daughter loves to deer hunt but hasn't wanted to turkey hunt. After my son and I tagged out, she said she wanted to hunt. I had already planned on focusing 100% on fish but excited she wanted to go. We've hunted the last two weekends and a few afternoons during the week and got our butts handed to us.

After having a few trail cam pics this morning of a gobbler, we decided to give it a try after church. There is an old road bed that borders a field and leads to a shooting house in the edge of the field. We never made it to the shooting house. :) I called sparingly as we slipped up the road bed looking in the field. We got nearly to the shooting house, and I saw him standing in the field about 70 yds and looking our way. I thought we were busted but then he tried to go in strut so knew we were in the game. We were caught in the open if he came our way but hid pretty good from where he was looking into the woods. We had a stare down and he finally made a few steps to the right and gobbled. We were then able to side step and sit down as we were then hid from him. I started calling sparingly and scratching in the leaves. After several minutes, he gobbled again and sounded in the same spot. I couldn't see him after sitting down.

After several more minutes of silence, I realized he probably wasn't coming. It was windy so decided to ease back up when the wind blew. He was gone from where he was. I thought he had exited the back of the field so had her to stand up on the next swirl of wind. I was gonna try to make it to the shooting house and sit beside it to call him back. I put her in front of me and had my hands on her shoulders to guide her movements as we used the wind to cover our sound and movement. We made it nearly to where we wanted to be, and I saw a red head through a small opening in some trees between us and the field. He was standing there staring in our direction, but we were hid well. I could see him and had a shot if I was the shooter, but she couldn't see over the thick stuff. He messed around for a few minutes and then started towards an opening about 35 to 40 yards. He went behind a tree and I side stepped and he was in the wide open starting to walk away. I slid her to the opening where she could see him. I called to him and he ran his head up. I told her to shoot him and she said I can't. Crap I thought as he's now looking our way. I said shoot him and the gun went off. He went to flopping and the excitement started in. I ran and got my hands on his neck and the celebration really started.

What a relief and thanks to the Lord for two kids that love the outdoors! She walked in front of the cell camera with it to get a pic so my son and wife could see, but my son had already saw a pic of it flopping. Lol.

17 lbs
9 7/8" and 7 3/8" beards
1" and 1/16" spurs
870 compact 20 ga with hand loaded TSS #9

Very blessed!!!

BA6E0996-CC69-4C44-987F-6B0E4F73354B.jpeg

AED2C4CC-DC56-43E2-A9CD-9450942C7E27.jpeg

B0A5B45F-8DD3-45A3-91A6-81D5EBF0984C.jpeg

134F293D-95B1-4761-A826-64A62850B6B3.jpeg

9AA3E2B9-6879-4EDA-A26F-249BA5EB6D75.jpeg

FD230F94-DBB3-4B03-8343-443D6D945C99.jpeg

Last edited:

Plateau Hunter

My daughter loves to deer hunt but hasn't wanted to turkey hunt. After my son and I tagged out, she said she wanted to hunt. I had already planned on focusing 100% on fish but excited she wanted to go. We've hunted the last two weekends and a few afternoons during the week and got our butts handed to us.

After having a few trail cam pics this morning of a gobbler, we decided to give it a try after church. There is an old road bed that borders a field and leads to a shooting house in the edge of the field. We never made it to the shooting house. :) I called sparingly as we slipped up the road bed looking in the field. We got nearly to the shooting house, and I saw him standing in the field about 70 yds and looking our way. I thought we were busted but then he tried to go in strut so knew we were in the game. We were caught in the open if he came our way but hid pretty good from where he was looking into the woods. We had a stare down and he finally made a few steps to the right and gobbled. We were then able to side step and sit down as we were then hid from him. I started calling sparingly and scratching in the leaves. After several minutes, he gobbled again and sounded in the same spot. I couldn't see him after sitting down.

After several more minutes of silence, I realized he probably wasn't coming. It was windy so decided to ease back up when the wind blew. He was gone from where he was. I thought he had exited the back of the field so had her to stand up on the next swirl of wind. I was gonna try to make it to the shooting house and sit beside it to call him back. I put her in front of me and had my hands on her shoulders to guide her movements as we used the wind to cover our sound and movement. We made it nearly to where we wanted to be, and I saw a red head through a small opening in some trees between us and the field. He was standing there staring in our direction, but we were hid well. I could see him and had a shot if I was the shooter, but she couldn't see over the thick stuff. He messed around for a few minutes and then started towards an opening about 35 to 40 yards. He went behind a tree and I side stepped and he was in the wide open starting to walk away. I slid her to the opening where she could see him. I called to him and he ran his head up. I told her to shoot him and she said I can't. Crap I thought as he's now looking our way. I said shoot him and the gun went off. He went to flopping and the excitement started in. I ran and got my hands on his neck and the celebration really started.

What a relief and thanks to the Lord for two kids that love the outdoors! She walked in front of the cell camera with it to get a pic so my son and wife could see, but my son had already saw a pic of it flopping. Lol.

17 lbs
9 7/8" and 5 3/8" beards
1" and 1/16" spurs
870 compact 20 ga with hand loaded TSS #9

Very blessed!!!

View attachment 225596

View attachment 225594

View attachment 225595

View attachment 225598

View attachment 225597

View attachment 225601
Beautiful kid, turkey, and hunt…congratulations to her and you!💥💥💥💯💯💯