Anyone hunt Mississippi?

Kevin

I may have just landed rights to hunt a pretty good farm in Mississippi, and was looking over the rules and regulations.

Can someone please explain the antler restrictions to me..is it really as it seems, that this is a state wide restriction on bucks??

I realize this is a 2011-2012 link but I could not find 2012-2013
http://www.sartainsheritage.com/wp-cont ... 1-2012.pdf

Kevin

And lord the out of state license is crazy. 375 bucks to hunt, oh yea and my wife hunts too!! It's ok though! I wont have to hunt public land exclusively any more.

tn droptine

Man, I had thought about doing some hunting in Mississippi - after reading the regs on the restrictions I think I'll pass. I'll stick with TN and if I want to hunt out of state I'll either do Indiana or Kentucky

Kevin

bowriter said:
Let's see...$375 to hunt what you say is a pretty good farm and the license is free. How does that strike you?

No I get it, this will just be the first time I will pay out of state fee's.

Kevin

Poser said:
I hunt down there a fair amount. There are 3 different deer zones. The Northeast portion of the state requires a 4 point minimum, 15 inch spread. The other two zones are 4 point minimum, 12 inch spread.

There is no statewide check system.

Poachers, illegal baiters, and outlaws are rampant/ game law enforcement is basically non existent.

-can be a good bit of tension between dog hunters and and non-dog hunters. That depends on the area, of course. I do not see any dog hunters where I hunt, but stories abound of retaliation, fist fights and shootouts over and about dogs (I'm not dissing dog hunters here what-so-ever, just stating that tensions exists).

Of particular note for a non resident is this incredibly stupid bit of legislation:

NON-RESIDENT REGULATIONS
A non-resident may not kill antlerless deer except on lands he owns or on lands where he leases the hunting or fishing rights, or a non-resident who has a native son or daughter nonresident lifetime sportsman license or a resident lifetime sportsman license may take antlerless deer on private lands, wildlife management areas, or national wildlife refuges.

The deer herd in MS is estimated to be around 2 million. -plenty of deer and there are some big ones out there, too. I've never killed a trophy rack down there, but I have taken 3.5 year olds weighing over 200 pounds. In addition to public land, I hunt a 40 acre property near Arkabutla and sometimes see 20+ deer during a hunt. Also, the turkey hunting down there can be awesome.

So the way I read it to shoot a doe I need to pay to hunt the property I am going to hunt, even if it is a very low dollar amount??

Boll Weevil

I own a farm in Oktibbeha county and can absolutely agree with much of what Poser states (though running dogs has diminished GREATLY in my area over the past 5-10 years). To be completely honest it's been years and years since I've heard hounds anywhere around my place.

You didn't mention what county you're considering but there are certainly some really super bucks coming from several regions in the state. Take a look here when you get a few minutes. The MS bucks hitting the dirt these days are nothing to sneeze at.