Ammo price increase 2024 ?

Kelljp

Was reading Vista Outdoors announcement that 2024 ammo prices are going up.
That claim there is a powder shortage.
Didn't realize all the brands they control.

Ammo Prices Set to Rise 'Substantially'

Coop87

I got an email from Boss the other day that had an interesting article in it. "

Powder Shortage
In late December I had a conversation with our powder guys at Hodgdon and got some yugoty news. It was reported to me that powder prices were going up and supply was going down. I'll try and keep this short. Nitrocellulose is still hard to get, most of the low cost Chinese material seems to have been diverted to other areas of the world (I think Russia). The largest European manufacturer of NC lost a significant amount of manufacturing capacity last summer with a plant explosion and is 9 months behind in production. The USA made NC is "military weapons grade" and about 10X the cost of commodity material. On top of that, the DOD is ordering insane amounts of ammunition, the powder plants have all the military business they can handle and Hodgdon is only going to get 80% of what they got last year. They also have been asked to service some OEM's that the plants serviced directly over the last year or so. Not good. Worst of all, our prices shot up 25-50% depending on the powder used. The last time things got tight like this was during covid. I promised myself that I would never let this happen again and to our credit, we have managed to build a small surplus of powder over the last few years which should allow us to fare better than others in terms of production capacity this year. More than likely, we will have to adjust pricing at some point as our new powder deliveries arrive. I do envision shortages in 2024. We will do our best to stay ahead of this issue. Out of stock items will be available for pre-order in the coming weeks before the new price increases take effect."

Latest posts