Hunting License Info

TN Deer Hunting License Information


Consult your “Official Tennessee Hunting and Trapping Regulations” pamphlet or contact the “Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency” for verification of all license fees and required permits before you hunt.

Supplemental Licenses
Supplemental Licenses, types 09, 10, or 11, are required, in addition to the “Hunting and Fishing Combination” type 01 license, to hunt deer. The type of hunting equipment to be used determines which supplemental license is necessary.

Hunting and Fishing Combination (Type 01)  $28.00
 Annual Big Game Gun (Type 09)  $28.00
 Annual Big Game Archery (Type 10)  $28.00
 Annual Big Game Muzzleloader (Type 11)  $28.00
 Sportsman (Type 003)  $136.00
 Junior Hunt/Trap/Fish (Type 02)  $8.00
 Permanent Senior Citizen Hunt/Fish/Trap (Type 166)  $11.00
 Permanent Wheelchair Hunting and Fishing (Type 189)  $10.00
 Permanent DAV Hunting and Fishing (Type 198)  $10.00
 Lifetime Mentally Challenged (Type 199)  $10.00
 Lifetime Sportsman Age determines the cost. Click for info


Junior Hunt/Fish (Type 70) * $9.00
7-Day All Game (Type 74) $175.50
Annual All Game (Type 73) $251.00

 * Required for nonresidents ages 13-15. A Type 073 or 074 is required to hunt big game. 


WMA Permits
Special Season/WMA Nonquota Big Game (Type 94) $21.00
Cherokee WMA Big Game Nonquota (Type 95) $16.00
Annual Reelfoot Preservation Permit (Type 89) $17.00
3-Day Reelfoot Preservation Permit (Type 88) $10.50
1-Day Reelfoot Preservation Permit (Type 90) $3.50


Resident License Requirements

  • Persons who possess a valid Tennessee driver’s license.Persons who have lived in Tennessee for 90 consecutive days with the genuine intent of making Tennessee their permanent home.Military personnel on active duty in this state and their immediate families, who reside with them regardless of resident status.
  • Students who are enrolled in a Tennessee school, college, or university for at least six months.

No License Needed For

  • Residents born before March 1, 1926 (To qualify for this exemption, you must carry proof of your age and residency to show a wildlife officer, if requested).Military personnel on leave carrying leave papers. A pass does not meet this requirement.Landowners, their spouses, and children, who hunt on farmland which is owned by said landowners. Landowners, their spouses, and children must be residents of Tennessee but need not reside on the land. This license exemption does not apply if the farm land is owned jointly or in common by unrelated persons. Be sure and see the landower license exemption info below.Tenants, their spouses, and dependent children who hunt on farmland owned by an individual or family. Tenants, their spouses, and dependent children must be residents of Tennessee and must actually reside on the land and have the permission of the landowner to hunt. A tenant is a person who, for money, free rent, or other consideration, cares for farmland. The tenancy must be agricultural in nature.First cousins who own farmland jointly or in common may fish and hunt small game on the farmland. Their children may fish and hunt small game as well.
  • Resident and nonresident juveniles under 13. Hunters ages 10-12 need only a hunter education certificate to hunt.

Landowner License Exemption
Persons hunting without a license under a farmland owner exemption must complete and sign a statement attesting where the property is located and how this land qualifies for a landowner exemption before hunting. This statement must be carried on their person while hunting under the landowner exemption. A statement form can be found on pages 70 & 71 of official 2001 – 2002 Tennessee Hunting & Trapping Guide. Additional forms are available at TWRA license agents, TWRA offices, and the official TWRA web site. Click here for a copy of the statement form in Adobe format. Landowners and their children hunting on their parent’s land under this exemption are also exempt from the Hunter Safety Certification requirements.

WMA Permits
A WMA permit is required by anyone who hunts on a WMA except the holder of a Lifetime Sportsman License, Sportsman License and juveniles under age 16 hunting small game and waterfowl. The juvenile hunters must be accompanied by an adult with a valid WMA permit.

Order Your License Online
Purchasing your license is more convenient than ever, order it online.

Just Click Here For Online Ordering


Instant Hunting Licenses Available By Phone

You can get your license 24 hours a day, 7 days a week by calling 1-888-814-8972 and charging your license to a major credit card. A $3.95 handling fee will be charged to your credit card in addition to the cost of the license, but this one call can get you in the woods the same day!

Lose your License?

  • All replacement licenses cost $5.00. Mail $5.00, (include your name, address, phone number, and T.W.R.A. I.D. number – if available) to : T.W.R.A., P.O. Box 41729, Nashville, TN 37204.
  • Lifetime Sportsman Licenses can only be replaced at a TWRA office. To replace it by mail, send your name, address, phone number, and T.W.R.A. I.D. number (if available), plus $5.00 to : TWRA, P.O. Box 41729, Nashville, TN 37204.




 Sportsman License
The Lifetime Sportsman License is available to any individual who has resided in Tennessee continuously for the twelve (12) consecutive months immediately preceding the purchase of the Lifetime Sportsman License. Applicants under the age of three (3) years must have at least one parent or designated guardian who was a resident of Tennessee at the time of the child’s birth and has continued to reside in Tennessee since birth. The Lifetime Sportsman License entitles the holder to all the hunting and fishing privileges afforded holders of an Annual Sportsman License. The Lifetime Sportsman License is non-transferable and fees are non-refundable..

The cost of this special license is determined by the age of the applicant.

If applicant is:
Under 3 years of age ~ $200.00
3 years of age but less than 7 years of age ~ $540.00
7 years of age but less than 13 years of age ~ $810.00
13 years of age but less than 51 years of age ~ $1,620.00
51 years of age but less than 65 years of age ~ $945.00
65 years of age or older – $270.00
Applicants must submit a legible copy of their current Tennessee Driver’s License in existence for at least twelve (12) months or other proof of twelve (12) months residency with this application. If the applicant is under the age of sixteen (16) and does not have a Tennessee Driver’s License, you must include : (1) Legible photocopy of a parent’s or guardian’s Tennessee Driver’s License in existence for at least twelve (12) months or other proof of twelve (12) month residency and (2) A legible photocopy of the applicant’s birth certificate.

This license is good for the life of the holder even if the license holder moves out of state. In addition to the Lifetime Sportsman License card applicants will receive a certificate suitable for framing, which makes this special license a natural gift for children or grandchildren. Revenue from the sale of the Lifetime Sportsman License will be set aside in a permanent trust fund from which only the interest will be used to finance programs designed to manage wildlife and preserve the heritage of hunting and fishing in Tennessee. The fee for a Lifetime Sportsman License must be paid in full in either cash, check, or credit card.

Applications for this new license may be obtained by calling the TWRA Nashville Office (615-781-6500), any of the four regional offices, or click here for an online application to print and fill out (Adobe Acrobat Format).