• Advertisement

Favorite restaurant....

Pretty much anything you want to talk about!

Re: Favorite restaurant....

Postby MUP » Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:23 pm

WTM wrote:the best mexican i ever ate was a little restaurant in dunlap. clean food, veggies not cooked to death and no heartburn.

El Metate'? On the main drive thru town on hwy 127.
Image "Amateurs" built the Ark.

"Professionals" built the Titanic.
MUP
Non-Typical

Advertisement

Postby WTM » Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:46 pm

MUP wrote:
WTM wrote:the best mexican i ever ate was a little restaurant in dunlap. clean food, veggies not cooked to death and no heartburn.

El Metate'? On the main drive thru town on hwy 127.

ive eat at both but im thinking it was el metate that i like best. lol, i just tell my son let go to that good mesican place.
WTM
14 Point

Postby redblood » Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:08 pm

The old Gondola restaurant in Tullahoma has incredible pizza. Might have to go this next weekend.
redblood
16 Point

Postby Crow Terminator » Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:24 pm

I don't have any local ones I love. In Athens for a great breakfast, a local joint called Brownies is my favorite. Cathead biscuits and bacon grease gravy...more than you can eat for under $5.

Out of town...it depends on what type food I want. My absolute favorite for a steak is Big Mike's down in Alabama. Seafood is a place in Panama over by the fishing docks. I can't even remember the name of it without looking it up but it's the place with $1 bills all over the walls and beams, and shotguns hanging from the roof. For all around food, I like Lamberts.
Crow Terminator
16 Point

Postby redblood » Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:12 pm

Some great choices ct. i think i know the seafood spot you are talking about. I love Lamberts and big mikes as well.
redblood
16 Point

Postby 41Magnum » Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:22 pm

When the Wife and I go out we always try to eat at local establishments. We have two local Mexican restaurants we like and a couple of local barbecue joints as well.
When we are camping in the Pigeon Forge/ Gatlinburg area we usually go out once for dinner and I get to have a REAL pizza and we will go to Smoky Mtn. Brewery in Gatlinburg. They have the best pizza IMO and I get to have my favorite brew, a Black Bear Ale or a Mountain Light. I only get to have a real pizza 2 or 3 times a year as I’m on the low carb diet. If I want pizza at home I can get a cauliflower crust pizza at a local Italian restaurant the Black Olive Restaurant.
For the most part we like to support local businesses and shy away from the chains, not that they are not good it’s we just like to support the local folks where ever we happen to be. We always ask the locals where the best grub is to be had.
41Magnum
4 Point

Postby redblood » Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:27 pm

41Magnum wrote:When the Wife and I go out we always try to eat at local establishments. We have two local Mexican restaurants we like and a couple of local barbecue joints as well.
When we are camping in the Pigeon Forge/ Gatlinburg area we usually go out once for dinner and I get to have a REAL pizza and we will go to Smoky Mtn. Brewery in Gatlinburg. They have the best pizza IMO and I get to have my favorite brew, a Black Bear Ale or a Mountain Light. I only get to have a real pizza 2 or 3 times a year as I’m on the low carb diet. If I want pizza at home I can get a cauliflower crust pizza at a local Italian restaurant the Black Olive Restaurant.
For the most part we like to support local businesses and shy away from the chains, not that they are not good it’s we just like to support the local folks where ever we happen to be. We always ask the locals where the best grub is to be had.

Im low carb diet as well. My rules is any day i run at least 10 miles, i can have it. It works. Good pizza is worth it!
redblood
16 Point

Postby prstide » Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:13 am

Chaneylake wrote:Spaghetti Store Jackson Tn gets my local restaurant vote.

Acme Oyster Bar anywhere along the beach gets my vacation vote

Old Town Spaghetti Store in Jackson,TN is a sound pick sir! By far our favorite.
prstide
8 Point

Postby 7mm08 » Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:22 am

Chesapeake’s, and Stock & Barrel in K’town

Saltus, Fish Camp @ 11th Street, & Dockside in Beaufort SC. Little town with great restaurants!!
Last edited by 7mm08 on Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians" - George Mason(Father of the Bill of Rights)
7mm08
14 Point

Postby 41Magnum » Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:49 am

redblood wrote:
41Magnum wrote:When the Wife and I go out we always try to eat at local establishments. We have two local Mexican restaurants we like and a couple of local barbecue joints as well.

Im low carb diet as well. My rules is any day i run at least 10 miles, i can have it. It works. Good pizza is worth it!

I don't run but I walk a lot, I try to get in around 5 miles a day, it keeps the weight off and I'm not on any diabetic meds. :super: People always ask me " how do you not eat any bread or taters or sweets? I tell'em I hate taking a pill. My Doctor says to keep doing what your doing cause its working. :D
41Magnum
4 Point

Postby bowhunterfanatic » Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:17 am

7mm08 wrote:Chesapeake’s, and Stock & Barrel in K’town

Saltus, Fish Camp @ 11st Street, & Dockside in Beaufort SC. Little town with great restaurants!!

So is Dockside better than Hudson’s? We are in Hilton Head for a couple of days and ate Hudson’s last night and it was fantastic. Dockside was slam packed full as well when we went by and we debated giving it a go tonight.
bowhunterfanatic
8 Point

Postby Deer Assassin » Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:20 am

texas road house in hendersonville

coltons in dickson
If you can't hang 'em on the wall
Hang 'em in your teeth
Deer Assassin
Non-Typical

Postby old guy » Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:40 am

Braden Station in Galloway , Tn.
old guy
8 Point

Postby BMan » Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:04 pm

Deer Assassin wrote:texas road house in hendersonville

coltons in dickson

X2 on the Dickson Colton's.
The last thing Osama bin Laden saw was an American Flag. It was on my shoulder. I was standing.
BMan
16 Point

Postby basset » Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:18 pm

Agree on Korea House. Also would recommend Lucky Bamboo, Miss Saigon and Kien Giang, all in the same strip center a little further east on Charlotte. If you're traveling, the Gerst House in Evansville, Shapiro's Deli and St. Elmo Steakhouse in Indianapolis.

And I like Cracker Barrel too, but not quite this much: https://www.tennessean.com/story/life/2 ... 609678001/
basset
8 Point

Postby BMan » Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:23 pm

basset wrote:Agree on Korea House. Also would recommend Lucky Bamboo, Miss Saigon and Kien Giang, all in the same strip center a little further east on Charlotte.

Can you give a recommendation for a couple of Vietnamese dishes? Been wanting to go to both of the Vietnamese restaurants you mentioned, but know less than nothing about Vietnamese food.
The last thing Osama bin Laden saw was an American Flag. It was on my shoulder. I was standing.
BMan
16 Point

Postby basset » Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:53 pm

Pho is a good place to start... pronounced "fuh" but I generally just point at the menu :) Big bowl of noodle soup with some kind of protein included, might be beef, pork, fish, tofu, there are usually several options. Spring rolls are a lot like the egg rolls you're probably familiar with from Chinese food but smaller and with a thinner casing.

The Vietnamese places, Lucky Bamboo, and a big international grocery store are all on the same parking lot, south side of Charlotte just west of White Bridge. Went to Lucky Bamboo with a Taiwanese co-worker once and he said their food was the real thing, he honestly did tell me that whatever he was eating was just like his grandmother made it. The really authentic stuff is on a Chinese menu that you have to ask for. Their dim sum is really good too, they just keep bringing you little plates of different foods till you tell em to stop.

Kien Giang is all cash, btw.
basset
8 Point

Postby TX300mag » Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:17 pm

Deer Assassin wrote:texas road house in hendersonville

coltons in dickson
Better than Taco John’s?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TX300mag
16 Point

Postby TAFKAP » Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:19 pm

Memphis has some pretty spectacular places. Some are 5-star, some are 1/2 star. But we've avoided chains as much as possible for a while. Got sick of paying a premium price for frozen boil-in-a-bag food service junk. But because we like to cook (and are pretty good at it), we go for stuff we can't do at home. COVID has really put a cramp on our style, since a lot of our favorite places are ethnic foods. But dog on Memphis all you want, but you're hard pressed to find a wider variety or a larger number of fine dining options.

Vietnamese restaurants....let's face it, they're not likely to be the cleanest you've ever been in. Food is spectacular, fresh, and a great value. Pho soup is life changing, and a bahn mi is probably the best sandwich ever invented
Indian buffets...see above. I don't know what half the stuff is I'm eating, but it's usually incredibly spicy.
Mexican places where I'm the only gringo.....Mexican joints in town tend to be cleaner than the above two. TexMex places are never any good. If the restaurant doesn't serve horchata to drink (or tacos al pastor), I'm not going back.
Steakhouses are a no-go. Couldn't care less to pay $100 a plate for a steak, potato, and plate of creamed spinach.

High end places in Memphis:
Restaurant Iris, Flight, Southern Social (in Germantown), Hog & Hominy (under renovation), and Itta Bena are some of the places that have served some truly memorable meals.
TAFKAP
16 Point

Postby TAFKAP » Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:27 pm

BMan wrote:
basset wrote:Agree on Korea House. Also would recommend Lucky Bamboo, Miss Saigon and Kien Giang, all in the same strip center a little further east on Charlotte.

Can you give a recommendation for a couple of Vietnamese dishes? Been wanting to go to both of the Vietnamese restaurants you mentioned, but know less than nothing about Vietnamese food.

The easiest white people "training wheels" option is called pho tai. They're ALL a beef stock soup, served with rice noodles and a plate of veggies (pho). The (tai) describes the type of meat they serve. It's a basic, thinly-sliced eye-of-round. The more complex, the different they describe it. You can get cooked brisket, tripe, tendon, meatballs, or all of the above. If you're squeamish, stick to the pho tai. The soup is basic, so you flavor it to your own desire. A little dab of hoisin sauce, sriracha sauce, and a squeeze of lime or lemon. Then you tear up the cilantro & basil into the soup, and stir in the bean sprouts. Eat it all up, and slurp the stock up as you go. Vietnamese penicillin will cure what ails you.

Bahn Xeo (bahn zay-ow) is a rice-meal pancake sort of thing, almost like an omelette, but not egg based. Cooked usually with shrimp & veggies, It's usually big enough for two people to split. It's served with fish sauce (an acquired taste). It tastes great, but smells horrible.

Bahn mi is the greatest sandwich ever invented. Because of the French influence in Vietnamese cuisine, they adapted to using buttered French bread for this sandwich. Usually served with a roast/grilled pork, pickled vegetables, herbs, and various sausage options. I love adding some sriracha sauce and wearing it out.

Spring rolls are hard to describe. We used to joke it was like a "stuffed condom". It's cold veggies & herbs, generally rolled up with some thin-sliced pork and shrimp, wrapped in a thin, almost see-through rice paper. Served with a peanut sauce that I love to mix in the chili/garlic paste. They're great.
TAFKAP
16 Point

PreviousNext

Return to TnDeer General Forum