TN Elk Hunt - What’s Your Strategy?

EastTNHunter

2-Step Enabled
I know that it's a long shot to get drawn, but if I am fortunate enough to draw a tag I don't want to be totally unprepared.

Has anyone here ever drawn, and if so, how did you go about locating elk? I'm not familiar with the WMA or Elk Zones, and didn't know how access was or terrain/vegetation.

I've been to the Hatfield Knob viewing tower a few times, but that is a good ways away from where the hunt zones are. Is it similar? Does TWRA provide you with a map, because the online map and their descriptions of boundaries are useless to someone not familiar with the area.

I may not get drawn, but I can dream and plan, right?

EastTNHunter

2-Step Enabled
Also, TWRA does not make it easy on a hunter trying to decide which unit to apply for. I looked at the limited information provided and picked, but that was little better than throwing a dart at a dart board unless you are really familiar with the lay of the land

PickettSFHunter

I hear ya. I just looked at past success rates for the areas and opted to put in archery since the draw odds are better. My strategy if I ever do draw is to go spend some time scouting since I'm not to terribly far away. That's about my only plan, just spend some time up there before it opens.

fairchaser

I would suggest hiring a local to guide you. Where to find one, IDK but I'm sure the state might have a few suggestions on ones that have been successful in past years. Those areas are huge and unless you have unlimited time to pre scout, I would think the odds are pretty slim on finding them.

EastTNHunter

2-Step Enabled
I'm not sure, but I'm anxious to get my "unsuccessful" notification ;-)

I'll definitely put boots on the ground if I get drawn, I just had a hard time selecting which unit to draw. There's not much time between getting drawn and going hunting.

cmn

I have guided Tn.elk every year but one...Happy to help if you get lucky! Many hunters ask me for my thoughts on areas before they make a choice. Past success is a pretty good indicator of good areas for the gun draw. The archery draw can be a bit different though... Hope a Tn.Deer member is drawn.