• Advertisement

Poults

Turkey Hunting Talk

Poults

Postby elknturkey » Thu May 21, 2020 4:18 pm

Buddy flushed a hen off this nest a week or 2 ago. He's been watching her from a distance and seen she wasn't over there today. This is what he found. Hatched 13 and 1 died. Temp hasn't got above 50 past 2 days and over 3 inches of rain so outlook isn't good. If they made it and can get thru today weather looks much better
elknturkey
6 Point

Advertisement

Re: Poults

Postby woodsman04 » Thu May 21, 2020 5:03 pm

Just think if only ONE more poult survived out of every brood/clutch how many more turkeys we’d have. Ain’t it like 7% of every egg laid will turn into a two year old gobbler?
As many ways as they can die and as many animals that eats them, by the time they are an adult they are true survivors.

And people say it’s ok to shoot hens... fall or bearded or not..
woodsman04
4 Point

Postby Carlos » Thu May 21, 2020 5:09 pm

woodsman04 wrote:Just think if only ONE more poult survived out of every brood/clutch how many more turkeys we’d have. Ain’t it like 7% of every egg laid will turn into a two year old gobbler?
As many ways as they can die and as many animals that eats them, by the time they are an adult they are true survivors.

Those statistics make me not want to shoot Turkeys, when I think about em. It's hard to believe they've got so many things stacked against them.
Carlos
6 Point

Postby woodsman04 » Thu May 21, 2020 5:14 pm

Carlos wrote:
woodsman04 wrote:Just think if only ONE more poult survived out of every brood/clutch how many more turkeys we’d have. Ain’t it like 7% of every egg laid will turn into a two year old gobbler?

Those statistics make me not want to shoot Turkeys, when I think about em. It's hard to believe they've got so many things stacked against them.
Lucky for us they are prolific breeders and good enough at surviving we still have a few to hunt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
woodsman04
4 Point

Postby Southern Sportsman » Thu May 21, 2020 5:52 pm

It’s not even that good. Of all the nests laid, about 7% produce A poult (1 or more) that survives to become a juvenile turkey. A huge percentage of those die before they turn 2.
Southern Sportsman
10 Point

Postby MickThompson » Thu May 21, 2020 6:05 pm

I found a wrecked 12-egged on Tuesday :cry:
MickThompson
10 Point

Postby woodsman04 » Thu May 21, 2020 9:05 pm

Southern Sportsman wrote:

It’s not even that good. Of all the nests laid, about 7% produce A poult (1 or more) that survives to become a juvenile turkey. A huge percentage of those die before they turn 2.
May be right, I thought what I said is what chamberlain said on the meat eater podcast a couple months ago. Couldn’t remember what he said

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
woodsman04
4 Point

Postby megalomaniac » Thu May 21, 2020 10:52 pm

10% of nests hatch. Roughly 2 out of 10 hatched poults make it to adulthood. So about 2 out of 100 eggs laid become adults.

Or 1 out of 100 eggs laid becomes a male bird you can harvest.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk
megalomaniac
14 Point

Postby 'borohunter » Fri May 22, 2020 9:47 pm

Wow - not great odds.
'borohunter
6 Point

Return to Long Beards & Spurs