Nemesis 4 seasons in a row!

Bgoodman30

My nemesis aka Mr. No gobbles survives again!
4 seasons he's evaded us! This bird does not mess up! Honestly don't target him often because he's no fun but he definitely had more pressure this year...Anyone else chased a bird this long?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

megalomaniac

I usually don't bother with non gobbling birds. They just aren't fun, and I have no desire just to sit and deer hunt a bird hoping to ambush him on his daily loop.

At least he made it to fertilize some non gobbling offspring to drive you crazy for the upcoming decade :)

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

Bgoodman30

megalomaniac":2t1ked7v said:
I usually don't bother with non gobbling birds. They just aren't fun, and I have no desire just to sit and deer hunt a bird hoping to ambush him on his daily loop.

At least he made it to fertilize some non gobbling offspring to drive you crazy for the upcoming decade :)

I'm usually targeting birds that are on the edge of his ridges... He's king of the hill you know.. Heard him slip behind me drumming hard yesterday morning but never in sight of course...

Oh he is fertilizing some none gobbling offspring alright at least they have the old age gene... What a survivor... He used to keep a Jake body guard with him...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

cowhunter71

Although there is no guarantee that I am hunting the same Gobbler from year to year, targeting the one's that seem to setup in the same spots each Spring, "closest to the gate", is something I enjoy the most. Gobble the least, hunted the most, and usually have Hens right up till and beyond the closer. I am a firm believer that any Turkey can be killed on any given day, but these Gobblers develop an education that makes them "almost" unkillable. As a proud Old School Turkey Hunter, there is no greater challenge then sneaking into or very close to, one of these Old Gobblers strut zones, choosing a "kill spot", and then making him come within 40 yards of the tree I have chosen to sit against, "looking" for me. Most who are not good enough to execute this strategy, will dismiss it as "deer hunting" a Turkey, which is an entirely different method of killing Turkeys all together. Although it is a style that is not for everyone, being able to "call" these well educated Gobblers to the gun, even on days when they are not gobbling, is a skill set that demands respect, especially from the old time 'killers" I have had the privilege of learning from. ;)

scn

cowhunter71":s30yrffy said:
Although there is no guarantee that I am hunting the same Gobbler from year to year, targeting the one's that seem to setup in the same spots each Spring, "closest to the gate", is something I enjoy the most. Gobble the least, hunted the most, and usually have Hens right up till and beyond the closer. I am a firm believer that any Turkey can be killed on any given day, but these Gobblers develop an education that makes them "almost" unkillable. As a proud Old School Turkey Hunter, there is no greater challenge then sneaking into or very close to, one of these Old Gobblers strut zones, choosing a "kill spot", and then making him come within 40 yards of the tree I have chosen to sit against, "looking" for me. Most who are not good enough to execute this strategy, will dismiss it as "deer hunting" a Turkey, which is an entirely different method of killing Turkeys all together. Although it is a style that is not for everyone, being able to "call" these well educated Gobblers to the gun, even on days when they are not gobbling, is a skill set that demands respect, especially from the old time 'killers" I have had the privilege of learning from. ;)

Well said. And, if things do come together, they mean so much more to you than the birds that come on a string gobbling every step.

Setterman

Anyone else notice birds that live in certain spots, even different birds are much harder than others?

I've got a place where every year a bird hangs and I've killed several of them but they're always the gnarliest most evil bastards around.

megalomaniac

I found a spot on national forest this year that birds were almost unkillable if they were in it. 1000 acres of straight up and down eroded washes with average bluffs of 25 to 50ft all over the place. Great virgin hardwoods, nice and open, they could get on the narrow 10yd spines and be protected from predators and see for 100s of yards.

The problem with hunting those birds was moving in on them. They could see you coming, and if you held off 200yds, there was always a vertical wash in between that hung them up when you tried to call them in. I killed one of them when he screwed up and roosted on the edge in reasonable terrain he could traverse on the ground.

My strategy for hunting them was to call like a desperate hen from the edge I wanted him to roost on the afternoon prior to really hunting him the next morn. That 1000 ac block was probably served as a sanctuary for turkeys and the reason I was able to locate a couple relatively unpressured toms down here on public.

timberjack86

cowhunter71":3v4agv0h said:
Found a bird just like this right across the mountain from you. Slipped in tight one morning and everything went right, except the shot lol. He came in close and I shot over him lol. I still feel like I won.

cowhunter71

timberjack86":1tkb40gp said:
cowhunter71":1tkb40gp said:
Found a bird just like this right across the mountain from you. Slipped in tight one morning and everything went right, except the shot lol. He came in close and I shot over him lol. I still feel like I won.
Although I try to convince myself of this when it happens from time to time, I know down deep I have not "won" until I am holding him by his feet :) Turkeys are still hammering away here, as well as down on the Chattahoochee. Cohutta has a hog dog hunt going on right now and have a group of friends there camped out all weekend. Said they've been hearing Turkeys gobbling every morning. This is the reason I am not there :) Absolutely destroys me to hear them gobbling still and not be able to hunt them. It will be at least another month before my dogs load up. Concentrating on putting a trout fed Rockfish or two in the freezer right now. ;)

Latest posts