• Advertisement

Expected accuracy?

Talk about airgun hunting and equipment

Expected accuracy?

Postby Yotekiller011 » Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:07 am

I’m new to air gunning and picked up a Beeman Sportsman RS2 to start. Now when I was a boy I used a daisy pump air gun and 10 pumps was deadly with it at 25 yards or so. The Beeman is a .177 the best it will do with the iron sight is maybe 1”1/2” group. I’ve tried two different pellets gamo red Fire 7.8 gr. and crosman premier 7.4 gr. And neither group very good. The front sight on this gun appears to set high, like 3/4 from the barrel about like a ar front sight. I’ve adjusted and adjusted and can’t get any accuracy from the bench. Should I just go with a scope and see if it helps? Or are these guns just not accurate or dependable enough to shoot small game? I don’t even think a scope would work without removing the high front sight. Any suggestions?

image.jpg
image.jpg (53.68 KiB) Viewed 881 times
Yotekiller011
8 Point

Advertisement

Re: Expected accuracy?

Postby Kirk » Tue May 05, 2020 7:43 am

All of my recent air gun experience is with the big bore .45 and .50 caliber rifles. I haven't shot a .177 in several years.

I get a lot of information on a website called "gateway to airguns". That talk forum is 100% airguns and nothing else. It is set up a lot like Tndeer.com and has the specific types and calibers broken out in dedicated forums. Try it and you should find some answers.

www.gatewaytoairguns.org
Kirk
16 Point

Postby Atchman2 » Thu May 28, 2020 5:56 pm

Almost all spring air rifles are hold sensitive. Putting them on anything but the back of your arm just makes it worse. A couple of things:

1) Check the stock screws. There are usually three. Those need to be pretty firm.
2) https://www.pyramydair.com/article/The_ ... ne_2009/63
3) Some air rifles are "pellet sensitive". You have to try a few different brands to be sure. Some just shoot better than others.

Sometimes an air rifle needs "tuned" that means that certain parts need smoothing and lubricated. I normally only do that to my high end air rifles though. I have a similar rifle to that one from a China. It is so accurate and lethal. I'll bet I've killed several hundred critters with it.
Atchman2
8 Point

Postby mike243 » Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:34 am

I have had a ruger .177 for a couple of years and it loves the red fire pellets, it wont shoot cheap pellets for nothing, I use a cheap 30 year old scope and it has about killed it lol , first thing you read in a bb gun forum is use a scope made for them, this stupid thing kicks , just ask the grand son :tu:
I'm Just a Spike/button Hunter, I will shoot a Trophy if 1 comes by but will settle for what the Lord provides/trophy's are in the eyes of the hunter not their neighbors
mike243
16 Point

Return to Airgun hunting