Memorable Mississippi Hunt

Southern Sportsman

Me and two buddies planned a first time hunt on some public land in Mississippi last weekend. Unfortunately my wife came down with the flu last Friday, so I stayed home over the weekend to take care of kids. My buddies found a few birds but didn't get one killed. Weather looked good on Wednesday, and since they knew where some birds were, it seemed a shame not to get any use out of the license I'd already bought. So I left my house at 2:30 and headed down. Quiet at daylight but I struck one about 9:15. Worked with him for a little over an hour. He was inside 80 yards most of that time and around 50 yards at the closest, gobbling and drumming like it was all he lived for. I had a good setup and I don't anything I would do different, but he skirted me just out of range and set up shop about 100 yards away to my 4 o'clock. There was enough cover that he might still come looking, but definitely not enough to move. I spit my call out and sat there quietly. He would either get curious and come looking or get bored and drift off and I would try to get back in front of him. He stood right there gobbling and drumming for another 30 minutes. Then I heard calling from the ridge behind him. Having been teased and all worked up for an hour and a half, he was anxious to explore new options. He quadruple gobbled at the first note, left his strutting spot, and marched up the ridge gobbling all the way to his death.

My buddies were hunting their way back to the truck and heard some of the earlier commotion. From their perspective, there was just a turkey gobbling his lungs out at the bottom of the ridge. They played it right. Set up and listened for a while. I wasn't calling, the turkey was gobbling, so they called just a little. I made it up the ridge for high fives before he even quit flopping. The guy that killed him is the guy that should have killed him. He went down last week to scout and found the birds in the first place. I didn't kill the turkey, but I got what I came for. That should hold me over until next weekend.

He was a 2 year old, but he put up a good fight.

Attachments

• 103D7B34-0575-47D9-A91F-A41334C9833A.jpeg
    103D7B34-0575-47D9-A91F-A41334C9833A.jpeg
    81.5 KB · Views: 862

Southern Sportsman

Roost 1":3l6kdqc3 said:
Apparently birds are on fire in MS...
Congrats on getting to play the game.

We weren't that far south, but the dogwoods were already blooming. I didn't hear another bird, but this one was certainly ready.

Andy S.

Sounds like an awesome hunt and experience in the woods, glad y'all made the most of it. Congrats to all of you. Thanks for sharing.

Southern Sportsman":wh0fxndc said:
The guy that killed him is the guy that should have killed him. He went down last week to scout and found the birds in the first place.
I wish more hunters shared your perspective. Get out there, enjoy the moment and the experience, and whoever pulls the trigger, pulls the trigger, if it even comes to that. The time and fellowship in the woods together far outweighs the kill.

Southern Sportsman

PalsPal":1kmg0ogu said:
Great hunt. Did you know that it was your buddy who was calling?

No. I knew it was possible since we were hunting the same general block, but it was about 1000 acres and I thought they would be hunting the other direction towards the truck. When I started moving on the turkey I wasn't paying much attention to direction, and my bearings were off. Even if it was someone totally random, it would have been a perfectly appropriate setup. At that point I wasn't calling and the turkey was steadily gobbling, so reason to know I was working him. But if I'm being honest, I still cussed him pretty bad as the turkey started that way. I walked over there to congratulate whoever it was, and mainly to check out the bird. I was really glad it was him and immediately felt good about how it all played out.

JCDEERMAN

Andy S.":33qs3qtk said:
Sounds like an awesome hunt and experience in the woods, glad y'all made the most of it. Congrats to all of you. Thanks for sharing.

Southern Sportsman":33qs3qtk said:
The guy that killed him is the guy that should have killed him. He went down last week to scout and found the birds in the first place.
I wish more hunters shared your perspective. Get out there, enjoy the moment and the experience, and whoever pulls the trigger, pulls the trigger, if it even comes to that. The time and fellowship in the woods together far outweighs the kill.
Agreed

Congrats on a great hunt, SS!

Newt

That's awesome glad you guys had a great hunt thanks for taking the time to tell such a good story!

megalomaniac

What a great experience!

My son and I had a similar situation this morning. We struck out at daylight, but had a bird gobble to our footfalls in the leaves around 745am. We got set up on him initially at about 125 yds and started calling. I could never get him completely fired up, but he gobbled 15 or so times over 45 minutes. He got to 75yds just over the rise we had between us, but just wouldnt give us the one look we needed to kill him. I gave him the silent treatment for a while, then scratched the leaves and he jumped all over that, but wouldn't budge an inch closer. He finally began to lose interest and drifted off. I probably overcalled to him at that point in desperation, and that completely shut him up. I should have just let him drift off and reposition around him to work on a completely different setup.

I've covered about 15 more miles since I killed the bird last Sunday. So far, my average is 10 miles hiking to strike a bird this season.

Hope you get to come back to MS this season. They seem to be gobbling more this year than in the past for sure.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

Southern Sportsman

megalomaniac":29j5c4z1 said:
Hope you get to come back to MS this season. They seem to be gobbling more this year than in the past for sure.

After I had so much fun Wednesday, I really wish I'd bought my annual license instead of the 7 day. I will next year.

spoon

Southern Sportsman":2gmw7gew said:
megalomaniac":2gmw7gew said:

After I had so much fun Wednesday, I really wish I'd bought my annual license instead of the 7 day. I will next year.

I've purchased 2 7 day license. Cancelled my Alabama trip so that gave the extra funds to purchase another 7 days

Latest posts