• Advertisement

Caught Italy

Pretty much anything you want to talk about!

Caught Italy

Postby Kilby » Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:40 pm

Looks like we caught Italy on number of confirmed cases let’s hope we don’t match them on deaths...
Kilby
6 Point

Advertisement

Re: Caught Italy

Postby dr » Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:53 pm

Kilby wrote:Looks like we caught Italy on number of confirmed cases let’s hope we don’t match them on deaths...

Agree, but Italy is a spec compared to US.
The Forest was shrinking, But the trees kept voting for the Axe, because it's handle was made of wood. And, they thought it was one of them.
dr
12 Point

Postby Kilby » Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:18 pm

dr wrote:
Kilby wrote:Looks like we caught Italy on number of confirmed cases let’s hope we don’t match them on deaths...

That’s true but we have more cases than China now, but for now our death rate is much lower than anyone else
Kilby
6 Point

Postby dr » Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:27 pm

Kilby wrote:
dr wrote:

That’s true but we have more cases than China now, but for now our death rate is much lower than anyone else

I really don't believe China. I think their infection rate is Much higher than they will admit. Most of these foreign countries don't care for the elderly like we do. We have probably the best healthcare in the World.
The Forest was shrinking, But the trees kept voting for the Axe, because it's handle was made of wood. And, they thought it was one of them.
dr
12 Point

Postby Bone Collector » Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:38 pm

Kilby wrote:
dr wrote:

I think we have better health care than most other places. I also don't trust China's count. If you look at it from a per capita basis Italy will be the hardest hit i think.
Semper Fi!
Bone Collector
16 Point

Postby Kilby » Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:44 pm

China’s count is suspect to me also, probably not even testing anymore
Kilby
6 Point

Postby BMan » Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:49 pm

Kilby wrote:
dr wrote:

We will never know how many cases China had, has, or will have. To believe otherwise is naive, at best.
I'd rather be deplorable than despicable.
BMan
16 Point

Postby dr » Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:23 pm

Kilby wrote:China’s count is suspect to me also, probably not even testing anymore

Yep, and most of the infections in China seem to be in Wuhan, where it's thought to have started. Never hear about any other large Cities in China with problems. I'm beginning to think it was released Intentionally...Some reports say it was thought to have started in Oct.
dr
12 Point

Postby LanceS4803 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:17 pm

dr wrote:
Kilby wrote:China’s count is suspect to me also, probably not even testing anymore

Yep, and most of the infections in China seem to be in Wuhan, where it's thought to have started. Never hear about any other large Cities in China with problems. I'm beginning to think it was released Intentionally...Some reports say it was thought to have started in Oct.

I hadn't thought of that. We never heard of cases in other large metropolitan areas. You can't tell me that NO ONE from Wuhan went to Beijing, Shanghai, etc.
TN Lifetime Sportsman license
NRA Life member
VFW Life member
Collector of US and Russian Cold War weapons
LanceS4803
10 Point

Postby MickThompson » Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:50 pm

How do we compare to Italy on people tested?
MickThompson
10 Point

Postby catman529 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:15 pm

we are going to exceed them on deaths due to the size and population of the U.S. however their death rate percentage is a lot higher than ours which is good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
catman529
Non-Typical

Postby BamaProud » Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:52 am

Per capita statistics mean a lot more than raw numbers. High population density spreads viral infections most efficiently.

Antarctica has zero infections.
Save the Little ones for the Little Ones.
Wine-Down Brewing and Winemaking
BamaProud
16 Point

Postby sawman » Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:12 am

There’s some, I believe, major differences between the US and Italy. There’s nearly 6 times as many people here. Their probably 95% Roman Catholic. They hold mass which means drinking from the same cup, eating from the same plate. How long did they let this go on before they realized what was happening. A common greeting is a kiss on each cheek in Italy. I’m sure their not doing that anymore. The death rate in Italy is nearly 10%. Here, so far it’s just over 1%. Can’t trust anything coming out of China. They haven’t been truthful about anything so far
sawman
4 Point

Postby CHRIS WILSON » Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:17 am

Keep in mind, Italy is a country of just over 60 million people. The US population is over 320 million. As a country, we have more high density population areas such as New York City, Chicago, etc. As testing expands, we'll see the total confirmed cases rise. It's not unexpected.
"If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police and he fears neither judge nor jury. Therefore, what he must be taught to fear is his victim.".....Lt. Col. Jeff Cooper, USMC
CHRIS WILSON
8 Point

Postby BMan » Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:02 am

sawman wrote:There’s some, I believe, major differences between the US and Italy. There’s nearly 6 times as many people here. Their probably 95% Roman Catholic. They hold mass which means drinking from the same cup, eating from the same plate. How long did they let this go on before they realized what was happening. A common greeting is a kiss on each cheek in Italy. I’m sure their not doing that anymore. The death rate in Italy is nearly 10%. Here, so far it’s just over 1%. Can’t trust anything coming out of China. They haven’t been truthful about anything so far

They are also very close family-wise, with most families coming together at least once a week. One person in the family gets the virus, doesn't take long for 20 others to have it.
BMan
16 Point

Postby dr » Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:03 am

Screenshot_20200327-091713[627].png
Screenshot_20200327-091713[627].png (180.56 KiB) Viewed 277 times
dr
12 Point

Postby BMan » Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:24 am

CHRIS WILSON wrote:As a country, we have more high density population areas such as New York City, Chicago, etc.

Actually, the great majority of towns and villages in Italy have high population densities - much higher than in the U.S. Few people live in "the country" but are instead crammed into towns with little personal space; many of the houses abut each other, and apartment buildings are usually several stories. That is the main reason for the many piazze in Italian towns, it gives the populace somewhere to move around a little. In southern Italy especially, the passeggiata is still a daily routine, and residents stroll the streets to meet and talk with friends and neighbors; it may be the best experience in Italy. Makes passing on the virus in the early days a simple matter.

Go to maps.google.com and navigate over to Italy; enable street view and click on any street in just about any Italian town. You'll see they are packed in much more tightly than we are. Here's a random streetview from the town of Carovigno, which has a slightly smaller same population than Dickson, TN, but the population density is more than 18 times higher (note that Carovigno is 2.5 square km, compared to Dickson's 51.7 square km).

https://www.citypopulation.de/en/italy/ ... carovigno/

https://www.citypopulation.de/en/usa/pl ... __dickson/
BMan
16 Point

Postby CHRIS WILSON » Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:33 am

BMan wrote:
CHRIS WILSON wrote:As a country, we have more high density population areas such as New York City, Chicago, etc.

Actually, the great majority of towns and villages in Italy have high population densities - much higher than in the U.S. Few people live in "the country" but are instead crammed into towns with little personal space; many of the houses abut each other, and apartment buildings are usually several stories. That is the main reason for the many piazze in Italian towns, it gives the populace somewhere to move around a little. In southern Italy especially, the passeggiata is still a daily routine, and residents stroll the streets to meet and talk with friends and neighbors; it may be the best experience in Italy. Makes passing on the virus in the early days a simple matter.

Go to maps.google.com and navigate over to Italy; enable street view and click on any street in just about any Italian town. You'll see they are packed in much more tightly than we are. Here's a random streetview from the town of Carovigno, which has a slightly smaller same population than Dickson, TN, but the population density is more than 18 times higher (note that Carovigno is 2.5 square km, compared to Dickson's 51.7 square km).

https://www.citypopulation.de/en/italy/ ... carovigno/

https://www.citypopulation.de/en/usa/pl ... __dickson/

Interesting.
"If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police and he fears neither judge nor jury. Therefore, what he must be taught to fear is his victim.".....Lt. Col. Jeff Cooper, USMC
CHRIS WILSON
8 Point

Postby TennesseeRains » Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:47 am

MickThompson wrote:How do we compare to Italy on people tested?

Good point.

We haven't been doing massive testing - I reckon because the tests weren't available. The more we test, the more positive cases will be documented increasing our confirmed case number (probably exponentially). There's no telling how many people are out there with the virus right now...and no telling how many have had it without being diagnosed then recovered.

Which brings up the death rate - if we don't know the true number of people with the virus, how can we possibly extrapolate a death percentage? Further, how many of those who've had the virus and died - actually died from an underlying medical condition and the virus was the final nudge to send them over?

I'm not trusting the numbers constantly blared by the news - and definitely not the hysteria they foment.
I don't always eat meat but when I do I prefer deer. Stay hungry my friends-nbforrest#3

To be fair, we can now blame everything on everything else-Wildcat

The Republican party is an organized well funded deception-tsc
TennesseeRains
16 Point

Postby TNRifleman » Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:34 am

The population of Italy is also SIGNIFICANTLY older than the us. Median age in Italy is just over 47 years while median age in the US is just over 38 years.
Phil. 2:3
TNRifleman
10 Point

Next

Return to TnDeer General Forum