COVID saves the turkeys

Hunt 365

Since I'm bored, here's my crazy theory. National lockdown for the virus first month of the season. Hunting seriously diminished. Out of state hunters limited regardless with TN's liberal and long season. Turkey harvest down but maybe a good thing. And since it's rained every day for three months, it finally quits raining and we have lush, dry nesting habitat. Every hen gets bred. Numbers next year insane. And for a decade to come turkeys better than ever. Just trying to keep positive. Who's with me?

megalomaniac

Covid has given me more opportunities to socially isolate in the woods. I've hunted 6 out of 7 days so far here in MS. I suspect more time off from work will result in more man days afield overall, and thus a higher than average kill.

Wish I could find a bird. I've only found 1 so far. And hes dead :)

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

catman529

I think the hunting pressure is going to be worse with the virus and people off work and out of school. Out of state hunters will probably be less than usual, but turkey hunters are going to hunt somewhere if they can!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

PickettSFHunter

I was able to get out to Georgia this weekend but they were starting to close parts of the campground. The WMA campgrounds were both locked and closed. That makes it tough on non-residents. The popular campgrounds in my area of TN are also closing, I know some non resident hunters like to stay in those.

megalomaniac

My work schedule is becoming lighter and lighter... as a consequence, imma be in the woods tomorrow for half day that I wouldnt have been able to otherwise. Going after the Tom's I missed 3d ago

Bone Collector

i think it will increase the kills. I am working from home. I have been social distancing in the woods. Its my only escape. That and fishing.

I will be out opening weekend and then will hunt whenever i get the chance. Wife won't leave the house, so no competition for free time. I can go most afternoons as long as we work from home.

REN

i will be hunting more this year (although I am fortunate to already work from home and hunt a lot during the week anyways) but with my kids out of school I dont have to worry about putting it all on my wife to get the up and ready every morning.

megalomaniac

Corona did save a gobbler in south FL. I was supposed to leave this AM for 3 days down there, but my wife nixed the trip. My 15 yo is hunting with me in the am locally since hes off from school and I dont want to punch my last MS tag.

catman529

A buddy of mine has scouted 2 different WMAs in the past week or so, both times during a week day, both times seeing 5-9 trucks parked where people were scouting. These are already heavy hunted well known WMAs, but it looks like it's going to be a sh*t show this year with all the people off work. I'm gonna probably hunt a big field opening morning and enjoy the show, then drive around and see how bad it is everywhere else. I'll be in the turkeys but I'll probably have hunters coming at me from all angles. Should be fun

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

deerfever

I have been in Alabama the last two days. I have never seen it so crowded! It was not this crowded this past weekend. There are people everywhere! I never dreamed that I would see so many people through the week. Again I guess everyone is off work and hunting. My license is good for 4 more days , I am going to move to a different tract of land altogether when and if I go back.

Andy S.

catman529":3bwlsiu8 said:
I think the hunting pressure is going to be worse with the virus and people off work and out of school. ..... but turkey hunters are going to hunt somewhere if they can!
Agreed, this is what I am planning on. Sounds like everyone's account above it spot on, hunters literally EVERYWHERE!

philsanchez76

Yeah I concur; stopped to scout a WMA yesterday and literally couldn't find a spot to park. I've never run into more than 2-3 people here before. Gonna be interesting.

th88

Got to a Bama gate at 3AM yesterday. First truck rolls by at 3:15. Another before 3:30. 4 before 4AM. 9 before 4:20AM. 11 before 4:30AM. At that point I quit counting.. never saw nothing like it in my life and I've hunted over half the U.S.!

Corona definitely ain't saving Turkey on that public..and didnt stop non-res from traveling either!

Latest posts