• Advertisement

Scope recommendation

Talk about airgun hunting and equipment

Scope recommendation

Postby TNlandowner » Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:57 pm

I just bought my son a Gamo Swarm Fusion .22 Cal air rifle for his 9th birthday. I'd like recommendations for replacing the Gamo scope that came with the rifle. I'm looking at the UTG AO scopes on line, but would like to hear from those with experience with these air guns.
TNlandowner
6 Point

Advertisement

Re: Scope recommendation

Postby Kirk » Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:40 pm

I have the UTG "BugBuster" 3-9-32 mounted on my .50 cal Sam Yang air rifle. I had to really tweak it and work with it to get consistently accurate. It is very temperamental. It was around $90.

In contrast, I placed a Hawke Airmax 3-9x40AO on my Texan SS .457 cal and it has performed perfectly after zeroing it in. The Hawke costs more at $180 but is a much better scope.
Kirk
16 Point

Postby TNlandowner » Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:14 am

Thank you for the recommendation. I was looking at the UTG 3-12 scope, but may go with another option now.
TNlandowner
6 Point

Postby Kirk » Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:07 pm

Just based on all the problem I had with mu UTG I would go another direction. I honestly thought it was the air rifle that was inconsistent at first. I pulled the scope off of the rifle then vised the rifle down in my Hy-Score rest. Got a big piece of 3' x 3' cardboard to use as a target and set up about 25 yards from the target. Shot three rounds and all 3 were almost in the same hole. I knew it wasn't the rifle then.

I remounted the scope and set up at 50 yards was shooting 6 inch groups. The scope had almost no adjustment left on it. Took it off again. Dialed it back to factory zero. Shimmed the scope and finally got it to quarter size groups at 50 yards. I have had to tweak it several times since to keep that grouping.

The Hawke scope was dead on and set after 3 shots and has been accurate with 1 inch groups at 50 yards ever since. I did a lot research on air rifle scopes and the Hawke was the top rated scope under $200 and that is why I went with it. I have been very pleased.
Kirk
16 Point

Return to Airgun hunting