• Advertisement

“Molding” a leather holster / sheath

Do it yourself projects and how to's...

“Molding” a leather holster / sheath

Postby Methane » Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:42 am

I bought a $20 leather holster, a generic looking holster, but wanted one that was molded to the shape of the gun. I remembered this from when I was a kid when I got my first Buck folding hunter knife, there were instructions on how to mold the knife sheath to the shape of the knife for a snug fit.

I soaked the holster in water for a couple minutes, just enough to get the leather good and wet. Actually, this holster is sewn at the bottom, so I just filled it up and let the water sit in it for about 2 minutes or so. Placed the gun inside a ziplock bag then inserted the wrapped gun into the holster. I worked the holster with my fingers for several minutes to start the process of it taking the shape of the gun. I set it aside to let it air dry, making sure to give it some attention and work the leather every once in a while....more at the beginning and less frequently as it dried more.

The result is a very nice custom molded holster. Obviously, gun only goes in one way...with my knife, it can go fat side down or fat side up, mine only goes in fat side up as that is how I molded it originally and it has retained that shape for about 35 years.

Once it was completely dried, I also rubbed a little snowseal (beeswax) onto the outside of the holster and heated it gently to get the product into the leather, then wiped the excess off. It looks great!
Methane
6 Point

Advertisement

Re: “Molding” a leather holster / sheath

Postby Jon54 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:56 pm

I know you can “wet form” a knife sheath. I’m sure it will work for pistols. Google it. I saw one where a guy used a food saver to speed up the process.
The road to Hell is paved with good intentions
Jon54
10 Point

Return to Do It Yourself / Tips & Tricks