Annual “rut report” thread

Andy S.

Spurhunter":3nne2xz3 said:
Andy S.":3nne2xz3 said:
mdjuh42":3nne2xz3 said:
All depends where youre hunting ...... Northern middle Tennessee is at prime chase phase, other parts of the state may be a little behind.
Ditto. SW TN is usually 10-14 days behind northern middle TN.

Andy, I hunt in Hickory Withe. I haven't seen any mature buck rut activity yet. Just the young ones scraping and thrashing every tree they can get on. I think you are right that we are a little ways out. Is this what you are seeing as well?
Generally speaking yes. I did luck into a mature buck sighting this past weekend at last light, but generally speaking, the last week of November and first week of December are prime in SW TN, assuming we have good weather to increase daylight movement. Second week of December can be great to kill a big mature buck too in SW TN. With that said, a buddy had a mature buck on camera this morning at 7:45 slipping around in the drizzle as the temps dropped, very close to Grand Junction, TN.

TDW05

2-Step Enabled
Spurhunter":3tsd8s7z said:
mdjuh42":3tsd8s7z said:
All depends where youre hunting at spurhunter. Northern middle Tennessee is at prime chase phase, other parts of the state may be a little behind. Most of the state's herd will be bred over the next two week period with exceptions to a few religions.
I'm in Fayette county. SW Tennessee. I have a big, mature buck coming out during daylight hours pretty regular, but I've been greedy and working too much. I know I'm hunting Saturday Sunday Monday coming up. Still debating on the overtime. It's hard to turn down double time!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Just take the double bubble spur, and drop a pin where your stand is at and I'll hunt it for you! That way I can tell you if you missed anything or not! :poke: :tu: jk lol

Spurhunter

TDW05":1hdgil3g said:
Just take the double bubble spur, and drop a pin where your stand is at and I'll hunt it for you! That way I can tell you if you missed anything or not! :poke: :tu: jk lol

You can always count on the good folks of TNDeer when you need a favor! :tu:

UTGrad

I've seen an uptick in roadkill in Williamson County. Also I'm starting to see new bucks pop up on trail cameras. My observations are the bucks are starting to split up, roam larger tracts of land and get more competitive. I haven't seen a hot doe get chased yet. Also in Franklin I'm able to watch several mature does almost daily and I've yet to see a buck show up to harass them.

It's certainly close and now is the time to start sitting on stand as long as one can stand it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

catman529

Grunted in a 3.5 year old 8 point this evening. Didn't get a shot but had him at 25 yards. When I first saw him I believe he was cruising the downwind side of doe bedding. Would have been my best public land deer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

megalomaniac

I've had 2 new bucks show up on my cell cam (one 3.5, the other 2.5). They are searching hard right now.

Try to find does that have lost their fawns. They usually come into estrus earlier than the does with fawns. Hunt the does and this week should be great in middle TN

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

Racknquack

Seen three small bucks this morning in Bradley County. All three came through the oaks nose down. Had my first scrapes show up this week.

gunrunner

I just saw a big mature buck walking head down just south of Edwin Warner park in Nashville.They are just about to bust loose.I did not see the doe,but this guy was hot on the trail.

TraumaSlave

Chasing is on in Monroe county. I have seen X2 8s, X2 4s, and a 12" 2 this morning. All chasing the 3 different does I saw. Too bad they were either too close to get scoped or too far out for a shot.

mdjuh42

Total of 5 bucks this morning, ranging from 4 points to 8, cruising and chasing. Did hear plenty of grunts in the thick stuff through out the morning. wilson county.

tke466

Got to hunt 3 days last weekend... in Sumner. No does in heat. Bucks are chasing but as the does get too far away they stop pursuing. Found a few rubs and scrapes. My cameras are showing a huge jump in buck activity so they are cruising. I had 5 bucks come by the stand on Sunday AM, some shadowing each other. One did not like I grunted at him... one came back to me when I grunted and wheezed. I started seeing nose down bucks starting around Oct 22nd. Next weeks cold is going to provide some excellent rut hunting in Sumner County.

Bone Collector

Rutherford county.

58daebd821bc56d7532f0713c72a334a.jpg

Brother missed a good buck this morning. He's not happy. Had another one in front of him but it was too dark.

He left. I'm at the other side of the property watching squirrels....
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bgoodman30

Kind of weak activity compared to this weekend last year... Small bucks pushing and some cruising but don't think any does in yet...?

catman529

Shot a 2.5yo 8 point this evening checking the downwind side of a bedding area and working a scrape

Lost Lake

Henry County. Saw nine different bucks this weekend, most were 1.5 year olds, with one nice 3.5. All were cruising and hitting scrapes. A couple of the young ones were pestering does.

Another couple of weeks is usually peak there.

Latest posts