• Advertisement

The Air Force found some speed

Pretty much anything you want to talk about!

The Air Force found some speed

Postby wayne » Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:44 am

https://youtu.be/UuYIbYVLF4k

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk
wayne
12 Point

Advertisement

Re: The Air Force found some speed

Postby eddie c » Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:42 am

Cool. If that was in an aircraft, could a computer be fast enough to control it?
eddie c
14 Point

Postby Big Ben » Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:08 am

Don't know if a human body could withstand the forces of going that fast.
Big Ben
12 Point

Postby BamaProud » Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:07 am

Big Ben wrote:Don't know if a human body could withstand the forces of going that fast.

Sure we could. We're all traveling about 10 times that fast right now (67,000mph) in orbit around the sun. The problems for living things come from the acceleration and deceleration.
Save the Little ones for the Little Ones.
Wine-Down Brewing and Winemaking
BamaProud
16 Point

Postby BMan » Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:25 am

BamaProud wrote:
Big Ben wrote:Don't know if a human body could withstand the forces of going that fast.

Sure we could. We're all traveling about 10 times that fast right now (67,000mph) in orbit around the sun. The problems for living things come from the acceleration and deceleration.

Particularly instantaneous deceleration. :D
I'd rather be deplorable than despicable.
BMan
16 Point

Postby Zulu » Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:29 am

That thing's been around a long time. I was at Holloman from '90-'92 and they shot it off fairly often -- doing high speed ejection seat tests I was told. Interesting thing is that the braking system is a water brake -- an open ended cylinder using water as the fluid. They had a dedicated water tower just to fill it up. When they fired it off, you'd hear a tremendous boom from the shock wave, then see a huge cloud of condensing steam rising from where all the water in the brake had boiled off. Scared the shiza out of newbies when it happened the first time -- thought there had been a jet crash.
Always stand on principle...even if you stand alone. -- John Adams
Zulu
8 Point

Postby Wildcat » Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:13 am

We don't need humans in planes today. Look at the drones, they are flown my pilots in the United States while the drones are flying in the Middle East.

Todays planes are flown mostly by computers, The B-2 would never fly as far as the first powered flight without computers, same with all the modern aircraft.

Fighter aircraft are in the works that fly twice as fast as our fastest but will not have a human inside them. They will come out as soon as they can get all the bugs worked out.
When a United States Congressman gets up and walks out of the House when the American people in the House Gallery chats USA, USA, then you know who hates America.
Wildcat
Non-Typical

Postby RobbyW » Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:00 pm

Wildcat wrote:We don't need humans in planes today. Look at the drones, they are flown my pilots in the United States while the drones are flying in the Middle East.

Todays planes are flown mostly by computers, The B-2 would never fly as far as the first powered flight without computers, same with all the modern aircraft.

Fighter aircraft are in the works that fly twice as fast as our fastest but will not have a human inside them. They will come out as soon as they can get all the bugs worked out.

But yet they can’t replace the BUFF (B-52) it first launched in 1954 and has been a extended to the 2040s. Some of these planes will be pushing 90. I was at Barksdale for 6 years. They are a very cool plane.

For this that don’t know BUFF stands for Big Ugly Fat....... the last F is not for friendly
RobbyW
8 Point

Return to TnDeer General Forum