• Advertisement

Phone service?

Pretty much anything you want to talk about!

Phone service?

Postby TRIGGER » Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:06 pm

I have been with Verizon for probably 15 years but there about to lose me. Slowly my service has been getting worse and worse to the point at times my phone just says “no service” at the house. When I moved into this house 10 years ago I had 3 bars of service and never an issue. It’s not only at home but around town also. I have spent hours on the phone wit them trying to figure it out. New phone and SIM card didn’t fix it. Who do you guys use that actually has good service most of the time?
TRIGGER
12 Point

Advertisement

Re: Phone service?

Postby DaveB » Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:18 pm

We use T-mobile, have a family plan, 5 phones that are always on the go from city to rural TN and beyond.

I am not a good judge of connectivity because I hate the intrusive side of cell phones. However, everyone else in the family says T-Mobile has the best connectivity.

Strictly at your residence: Do you have wi-fi enabled and are using the 5 gig bandwidth (not the 2.4) (assuming here you have a dual band router). My daughter tells me it makes a huge difference everywhere.
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield
DaveB
16 Point

Postby GaryLBumpus » Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:25 pm

Same deal with ATT. This very week, Monday I switched to completely of all my comms to verizon. After 19 YEARS with ATT, the coverage has become subpar to nonexistant. Same deal, I live within view of a 600ft tower erected by Cingular 1, ATT acquired them. Had 4-5 bars at my home for several yrs up until a year ago. Dead spots in my home, drop calls, little internet wheel spins and spins. Call Habib and Ms Ghandi and they play the "oh it must be your phonec let's waste 45 mins of your time while you try to figure out what I'm saying"

I travel extensively. In the last month, I have been in Montana, Oregon, Washington, Georgia, Florida, Idaho, California. Barely any coverage in those places except in Seattle, Kalispell, Eugene, Crescent City. Darn frustrating.

I have a verizon phone too I carry as a backup in case my people need to get me. I noticed it worked way more places, even in remote areas.

In Tenn, I cannot ise my ATT service for 40 miles worth of i-840. Dead pockets in Christian, Todd counties.

I gave ATT the official boot.

Only thing I can figure is tower loading and teeny bobbers burning up bandwidth wholesale streaming HD.
GaryLBumpus
4 Point

Postby GaryLBumpus » Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:31 pm

I also figured something else out too, If youre terminating service and they switch you to Conflict Resolution, Customer Loyalty or Cancellation Depts....they are ohhh so nicey-nicey and they have a smooth talking American, English speaking person then.

And if you own all your phones outright, which I do, they are even more super kissy-butt.
GaryLBumpus
4 Point

Postby TRIGGER » Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:37 pm

GaryLBumpus wrote:I also figured something else out too, If youre terminating service and they switch you to Conflict Resolution, Customer Loyalty or Cancellation Depts....they are ohhh so nicey-nicey and they have a smooth talking American, English speaking person then.

And if you own all your phones outright, which I do, they are even more super kissy-butt.

You went from AT&T to Verizon? I was thinking about AT&T but have heard the same complaints about them that you have.
TRIGGER
12 Point

Postby BULL MOOSE » Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:44 pm

It sure beats what I paid for 20 years ago! Not to mention waiting till after 9 pm to even make a long distance call for better rates.

iPads and iPhones are two of the best and worst inventions ever made.
BULL MOOSE
10 Point

Postby deerfever » Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:46 pm

I have Verizon and we have experienced the same lapse in coverage. I have been by, called customer service and connected to WiFi calling. I do not understand what is going on, we had Verizon for years but the service here now has gotten frustrating. The dropped calls are constant. We are also considering a change but do not know who to go with as of yet.
deerfever
4 Point

Postby WTM » Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:57 pm

its traffic congestion. the more load on the tower the more it splits power between the subs. towers are capped by the FCC on the amount of power they can transmit. the tower i purposely hit is located in Jville right by the the TNWR. it gets very little usage and i can hit 20 mb/s on 2 bars. i go across the lake and can hit 80mb/s on 5 bars since very few people hit that tower. BUT, take springhill for instance, i can stand downtown and barely hit 3 mb/s on 5 bars!

then you have what is called traffic priority.

speaking of bars. they dont really mean crap. every phone designer can put as many bars as they want on their phones. power from the cell tower is what you want to know. anything higher than -90dbm is fair and anything below that is good. apple got smart and took the cool utility that tells you all this info off of their phone after they were caught.

as far as coverage, it all depends how many towers a company is leasing in the area. i do know that verizon and att is erecting new towers. most towers has a 5 mile range, but a few has 20 mile coverage.

well i guess that is about as plain english as i can put it. i think it will get better as time rolls on, at least from a backhaul perspective. everyone is excited about 5G but im telling you right now, coverage is at least a decade away. we will need to reach 400G on the backhaul routers and switches and add a million or more new antennaes.
WTM
12 Point

Postby huntinkev » Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:54 pm

We have Verizon and it has gotten horrible. Our sales rep stopped by the office last week and I complained to him about it again. He says they are updating, getting rid of 3g and it's going to be a little worse before it gets better, said att is doing same thing. We've been with verizon for 15-20 years. It's frustrating for sure.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
huntinkev
10 Point

Postby ruger7mag » Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:21 pm

Same story here with Verizon. The service used to be great in my house. I just recently bought a booster.
ruger7mag
8 Point

Postby BULL MOOSE » Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:30 pm

WTM wrote:its traffic congestion. the more load on the tower the more it splits power between the subs. towers are capped by the FCC on the amount of power they can transmit. the tower i purposely hit is located in Jville right by the the TNWR. it gets very little usage and i can hit 20 mb/s on 2 bars. i go across the lake and can hit 80mb/s on 5 bars since very few people hit that tower. BUT, take springhill for instance, i can stand downtown and barely hit 3 mb/s on 5 bars!

speaking of bars. they dont really mean crap. every phone designer can put as many bars as they want on their phones. power from the cell tower is what you want to know. anything higher than -90dbm is fair and anything below that is good. apple got smart and took the cool utility that tells you all this info off of their phone after they were caught.

as far as coverage, it all depends how many towers a company is leasing in the area. i do know that verizon and att is erecting new towers. most towers has a 5 mile range, but a few has 20 mile coverage.

well i guess that is about as plain english as i can put it. i think it will get better as time rolls on, at least from a backhaul perspective. everyone is excited about 5G but im telling you right now, coverage is at least a decade away. we will need to reach 400G on the backhaul routers and switches and add a million or more new antennaes.

How does a normal person see how thier phone is receiving these invisible waves?
BULL MOOSE
10 Point

Postby MUP » Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:07 am

GaryLBumpus wrote:
Only thing I can figure is tower loading and teeny bobbers burning up bandwidth wholesale streaming HD.

This, and it's not only teeny boppers. :)
Image "Amateurs" built the Ark.

"Professionals" built the Titanic.
MUP
Non-Typical

Postby Wildcat » Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:37 am

I've had Verizon for years but the last 2 years I've seen their service go way down to the point that some days I just quit trying to text anybody.

A few years ago during the ice storm that knocked power out in Western Kentucky and Mo for weeks the ONLY phones that worked in my family was Verizon. Today, forget it. I have to go into Paducah if I want 100% service. Last night it took me 4 tries to simply text my next door neighbor and I had to go outside on the front door, would have been less trouble to just walk over there and knock on the door.
When a United States Congressman gets up and walks out of the House when the American people in the House Gallery chats USA, USA, then you know who hates America.
Wildcat
Non-Typical

Postby WTM » Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:11 am

BULL MOOSE wrote:
WTM wrote:its traffic congestion. the more load on the tower the more it splits power between the subs. towers are capped by the FCC on the amount of power they can transmit. the tower i purposely hit is located in Jville right by the the TNWR. it gets very little usage and i can hit 20 mb/s on 2 bars. i go across the lake and can hit 80mb/s on 5 bars since very few people hit that tower. BUT, take springhill for instance, i can stand downtown and barely hit 3 mb/s on 5 bars!

How does a normal person see how thier phone is receiving these invisible waves?

there is a field test mode on iphone and android:

iphone-dial this number *3001#12345#* it will be under serving cell measurements. look at RSRP(signal power) a good signal should be below -90dbm. -100 to -105 is usable but spotty. RSRQ should be low like in the -3db range. this is signal quality.

on the android, every version is a little different but it should be under settings/status/about phone.

there may be some free signal meter apps but idk.

one app i use a lot is “open signal” you can pull up cell tower info and a map of where its at. the coverage map is really handy. its a map from data from the phones that have the app. ive found it to be very accurate. here is a screen shot of around dickson:

DD104DF9-30D5-4539-90FF-3810433142B2.png
DD104DF9-30D5-4539-90FF-3810433142B2.png (210.04 KiB) Viewed 98 times
WTM
12 Point

Postby @fulldraw » Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:24 am

I think most people are experiencing these issues. I do believe it has to do with the conversion to 5g and removing 3g. I have found that by turning off LTE and talking on 4g I have better service. I would drop calls on LTE in certain places and can keep talking on 4g.
@fulldraw
10 Point

Postby huntinkev » Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:40 am

@fulldraw wrote:I think most people are experiencing these issues. I do believe it has to do with the conversion to 5g and removing 3g. I have found that by turning off LTE and talking on 4g I have better service. I would drop calls on LTE in certain places and can keep talking on 4g.

I agree. But from my understanding 5G isn't going to be out in the sticks. I think the towers have to be within 1/2 mile to receive 5G, I think 4G is maybe 10 miles from tower and 3G maybe 20 or more miles. So I wonder with dropping 3G if the service will get any better outside of the cities.
huntinkev
10 Point

Postby Deer Assassin » Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:54 am

straight talk

paid yearly
If you can't hang 'em on the wall
Hang 'em in your teeth
Deer Assassin
Non-Typical

Postby WTM » Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:29 am

huntinkev wrote:
@fulldraw wrote:I think most people are experiencing these issues. I do believe it has to do with the conversion to 5g and removing 3g. I have found that by turning off LTE and talking on 4g I have better service. I would drop calls on LTE in certain places and can keep talking on 4g.

I agree. But from my understanding 5G isn't going to be out in the sticks. I think the towers have to be within 1/2 mile to receive 5G, I think 4G is maybe 10 miles from tower and 3G maybe 20 or more miles. So I wonder with dropping 3G if the service will get any better outside of the cities.

best case tests so far have been 500 meters for 5G fixed wireless on the 28GHz band. 5G is scheduled to run on 30 to 300 GHz bands. to give an example of the amount of antennaes we will need a small town up north was wired with 50 antennaes to cover a 2 square mile area. this was after they complained about the 100 antennaes that was needed to make it work.
WTM
12 Point

Postby double browtine » Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:39 am

I had Verizon from the the beginning. Then went to straight talk on Verizon network, now back to Verizon for the past 3-4 years. Verizon has gotten crappy all around.

They sell some cell phone signal boosters. You can buy them at best buy, $400, on Amazon, but the cheapest price I found was on eBay ($70-80). You pretty much put the antenna on a high pole outside, and then plug in the booster inside the house. Comes with like 50 ft of cable. Main thing is you have to buy one that matches up with the mHZ that your phone runs on. Only Verizon wireless works where I live so I am stuck with them. I can't wait for CEMC to run fiber in my area of cheatham county!
double browtine
12 Point

Postby MUP » Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:42 am

That may be an ulterior plan, crappy service gets folks to buy a "signal booster". :?
Image "Amateurs" built the Ark.

"Professionals" built the Titanic.
MUP
Non-Typical

Next

Return to TnDeer General Forum