• Advertisement

Antler growth?

Serious Deer Hunting Talk Only!

Antler growth?

Postby JAY B » Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:00 pm

What’s some thoughts on the horn growing process as far as some bucks growing more rapidly than others but topping out the same? I have seen pics of bucks from this week that are just splitting at the g2/main beam and then I have seen some with 3 standing tines. I wonder if genetically some just grow slower and longer and some just grow fast and top out early?
JAY B
8 Point

Advertisement

Antler growth?

Postby Jcalder » Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:28 pm

I don’t have much experience with it but I had a deer last year that was way ahead of any other deer at this point and he finished way ahead of any deer I’ve ever had on camera.
7-7-18 Image

7-24-18 Image

9-29-18 Image

I don’t have the pictures on my phone and may not have any saved but you knew in early June was gonna make a good deer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jcalder
10 Point

Re: Antler growth?

Postby Os2 Outdoors » Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:54 pm

Anltergenesis begins when a buck sheds. So if a buck sheds earlier than others than technically speaking, growth begins sooner than the other bucks.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Os2 Outdoors
8 Point

Re: Antler growth?

Postby gobblesandgrunts » Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:57 pm

JAY B wrote:What’s some thoughts on the horn growing process as far as some bucks growing more rapidly than others but topping out the same? I have seen pics of bucks from this week that are just splitting at the g2/main beam and then I have seen some with 3 standing tines. I wonder if genetically some just grow slower and longer and some just grow fast and top out early?
I checked my cameras last weekend and was thinking the exact same thing, good question

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
gobblesandgrunts
4 Point

Return to Serious Deer Hunting Talk