food plots??

huntncoach

My hunting buddy and I have three small plots on our lease and we've had mixed success. Should we plant something now or wait til later in the summer or fall? We have typically gone with clover/chickory mix early and then sow some turnips late october/early september. We have also fenced off smaller sections of each plot for later in the season after the first hard frost. This has been a pretty good strategy to get deer back into the plots after most of the browse is gone and acorns are few and far between.

gobblesandgrunts

I put out half clover plot two weeks ago and its coming in fine, gonna do the other half this fall in brassicas, peas, oats mix

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

MickThompson

I like wheat and a crimson clover. I've had crimson clover reseed itself several years in a row before. I don't like brassicas because if you get any cold weather early they can be prone to winter kill.

huntncoach

AlabamaSwamper":3fpoduxc said:
You are sowing your turnips to late for one
Mid to late August for those

If I had three small plots I'd put one in turnips and rape and two in oats

They just kill plots being small anyway.

That's one reason we started fencing parts of each plot - That growth is like a magnet once the rest is gone in late fall - although it only takes a few days for it to get picked down.

gobblesandgrunts

huntncoach":33pkzpjj said:
AlabamaSwamper":33pkzpjj said:
You are sowing your turnips to late for one
Mid to late August for those

If I had three small plots I'd put one in turnips and rape and two in oats

They just kill plots being small anyway.

That's one reason we started fencing parts of each plot - That growth is like a magnet once the rest is gone in late fall - although it only takes a few days for it to get picked down.
Checked my plot today and its starting to come in
9a8b34a9ffaff3ffb05a0a46416f12c0.jpg

gobblesandgrunts

huntncoach":3fx4pemb said:
Looking good Gobbles!! that seems to be about the size of our three plots.
Got to go out there Sunday and one side is really doing good and the other not so much, but I'm going to plant a fall plt on the other side later on this year.
f7c8e1e7c5468be5bb9a94e5e9824c15.jpg
2582ec576a053e5cf4eb3df951df36fa.jpg

saddlecricket

Mine is doing really well! I did lots of hard ground fixing preparation in January to boost my plot for maxium protein to grow the biggest deer possible. I have a group I started not long ago. I do videos pictures and give out information to help hunters grow better deer. It's all free too! I just enjoy helping others live out a dream. Healthy soil makes for healthy deer.

Attachments

• VideoCapture_20190701-235700.jpg
    VideoCapture_20190701-235700.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 1,786
  • 20190630_150133.jpg
    20190630_150133.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 1,782

jpanthony3526

Anyone know if its too late to plant beans? I just sprayed about 1.5 acres and the farm, along with neighboring farms are all corn. I always had better luck on late beans, but I'm not sure if its too late? Plan would be to drill in wheat over the top after they start turning yellow. Thanks!

saddlecricket

It still can be done just probably will not get tall has normal. I have set out some 2 weeks ago to fill in so gaps in mine. They are now about 4 to 5 inches tall. I use some compost to help them have a fast start. Then I will fertilize them once they are all 6 inches or taller.

tndave59

jpanthony3526":1yhf4mc2 said:
Anyone know if its too late to plant beans? I just sprayed about 1.5 acres and the farm, along with neighboring farms are all corn. I always had better luck on late beans, but I'm not sure if its too late? Plan would be to drill in wheat over the top after they start turning yellow. Thanks!

Partly depends on what part of state your in. If don't have out already I'd go with wheat and maybe rye mix towards end of August first of September, can top seed it without disking.

barkscraper

The beans are great till we get our first frost 3rd week of oct. I add them to my plot because of the price and the results I get but you need something after the frost which the ground hog radishes will provide till after season for me they will last till jan. Then you need something after which the cheap jerry oats and awless wheat and rye will provide and if you want add a white clover that will last till next sept. The turkeys will love you in the spring they raise their little ones in my plots all spring and summer.

Latest posts