CWD Article

fairchaser

Thanks Andy for the article. I learned that a CWD test costs $80 and that while some other tests on live deer or field tests show promise, nothing is effective except testing brain tissue or lymph glands. I'm pretty sure hunters will not pay the testing fee if it's $80.

Strict

Why, for instance, did Hoseck's entire herd test positive for CWD all at once? "I've asked myself that a lot," he says. "The only thing I can figure is that I had a feral cat that got really familiar with my deer. The deer would lick it like it was their fawn, and that cat would use the deer feed troughs like a litterbox. I take in a lot of deer for skull mounts in my taxidermy business, and some of those heads come in from across the river, in Wisconsin. After I boil the heads, I'll blow out the brains with a pressure washer. Sometimes the cat would eat those brains, and I'd guess if it ate infected brains and then crapped in the feed and my deer ate it, they could get infected too."

Cat's fault!

TNGunsmoke

2-Step Enabled
Interesting theory, the article is short on any details though.

https://thehuntingnews.com/cwd-research ... -8qbrxsFuc

CWD Researcher May Have Discovered Major Breakthrough

CWD has turned into a very controversial topic in the US. With confirmed cases in 24 states and spreading, it has many hunters worried. Many people believe CWD is the biggest problem to face hunting in 100 years, others think its a hoax. Everyone thinks they are an expert. Here is what one scientist has discovered.

Dr. Frank Bastian at Louisiana State University's Department of Agriculture, thinks we may be wrong about prions causing CWD. He believes CWD is actually caused by a previously undiscovered species of bacteria called spiroplasma.

John Eveland of Unified Sportsmen of PA says, "Because prion is always present in infected animals, it was erroneously assumed that prions were the cause of the disease."

For many years we have not seen any development in eliminating CWD. The problem has been growing and the only solution has been to eradicate deer populations. Even this solution wont work since the prions remain in the soil for years, and free ranging deer go where ever they want.

We still do not know for sure if DR. Everland is correct. This may be the breakthrough that scientist have need to find a real solution for CWD.

Matador

Thanks for the article Andy. I try to read and stay abreast of CWD issues. With no known cure yet, I can see where a lot of hunters can get frustrated and even go into denial about known CWD facts. Looks like this is going to be a long fight and a whole lot of uncertainty facing deer hunters.

Tiny

Matador":286xirhh said:
Thanks for the article Andy. I try to read and stay abreast of CWD issues. With no known cure yet, I can see where a lot of hunters can get frustrated and even go into denial about known CWD facts. Looks like this is going to be a long fight and a whole lot of uncertainty facing deer hunters.
Not to argue or stir the Pot.. I dont believe theres too many CWD Facts except it's Bad BAD BAD...N Fatal to Deer n Members of the Deer Family..

I to thank you for the link an will read it

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Latest posts