2019 Blackberries

BamaProud

A couple of my canes didn't make it through the year but the biggest one did, its almost as big around at its base as the T-post it is planted by. I also put in another post to the right of this picture and strung 2 more lines for the vines to grow on. I'll probably plant another vine so it can get started in case my biggest cane dies this Winter. I didn't bother covering them with netting last year and didn't seem to have a bird problem, so unless I notice a problem I'm not going to bother this year...it was a pain to pick them when I covered them a few years ago.

88o5ltp.jpg

DaveB

Looks like a bumper crop.

I do not know the lifespan of a given cane. At what point do you start the replacement plant?

DaveB

Yep, Blackberries and vanilla ice cream, BB and cereal, BB and condensed milk, killing me.

I'm thinking you have the best harvest help anyone could ask for.

Omega

I planted Arapahoe blackberry bushes in 2011, one has survived, at least until last year since I haven't checked on it this year. It keeps 3 or 4 stems, when one dies, another takes it's place. Since it is out on my hunting land, it gets very little attention, unless I'm out doing something in the area. It has survived because the entire area is covered with wild blackberry brambles, which are usually full, just hard to get to.
Back in 2017 when I rebuilt my stand, this bush gave me some snacks.
zNDEQ0q.jpg

This is one of the hills with the most berries. You can get a decent amount from the edges.
B6FP17Q.jpg

The blackberries are practically identical, except the thorns.
NoiTEVc.jpg

DaveB

The BB's over some vanilla ice cream or just condensed milk would sure make a nice desert.

Congratulations, that path of yours is very productive.