• Advertisement

Switched to Gaiters

Turkey Hunting Talk

Re: Switched to Gaiters

Postby TheLBLman » Fri May 17, 2019 6:43 pm

Thanks for the update!

String Music wrote: . . . . . Lowa Caminos . . . . . .

Mind elaborating more on why you chose these particular boots to compliment your gaiters?
They don't look very snake-proof.

I am also pondering going the gaiter route rather than snake boots.

THIS does not look like a guy who would be worried much about snakes! :tu:
String Music wrote:Image

I'd be more worried about slipping off that log than snakebites
even if I were just wearing regular tennis shoes where you're hunting!
TheLBLman
Non-Typical
 
Posts: 26061
Joined: Wed Jun 12, 2002 12:00 pm
Location: Knoxville-Dover-Union City, TN

Advertisement

Re: Switched to Gaiters

Postby String Music » Fri May 17, 2019 7:41 pm

TheLBLman wrote:Thanks for the update!

String Music wrote: . . . . . Lowa Caminos . . . . . .

Mind elaborating more on why you chose these particular boots to compliment your gaiters?
They don't look very snake-proof.

I am also pondering going the gaiter route rather than snake boots.

THIS does not look like a guy who would be worried much about snakes! :tu:
String Music wrote:Image

I'd be more worried about slipping off that log than snakebites
even if I were just wearing regular tennis shoes where you're hunting!


I went with the Lowa’s after the sole started coming off my Asolos. The caminos are mostly nubuck leather and pretty stout. I don’t think a copperhead could bite through it and a rattlesnake typically bites from the ankle up. It was one of the highest rated boot in the reviews I read. The Salomon 4Ds weren’t tempting but I think a copperhead could get through those.

Dave Owens from Pinhoti Project wears Crispi Summits. It’s a nice looking boot.

Here’s a link to the Caminos: https://www.lowaboots.com/mens/trekking ... gray-black


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
User avatar
String Music
10 Point
 
Posts: 3090
Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:25 pm
Location: Knoxville

Re: Switched to Gaiters

Postby String Music » Fri May 17, 2019 7:43 pm

TheLBLman wrote:Thanks for the update!

String Music wrote: . . . . . Lowa Caminos . . . . . .

Mind elaborating more on why you chose these particular boots to compliment your gaiters?
They don't look very snake-proof.

I am also pondering going the gaiter route rather than snake boots.

THIS does not look like a guy who would be worried much about snakes! :tu:
String Music wrote:Image

I'd be more worried about slipping off that log than snakebites
even if I were just wearing regular tennis shoes where you're hunting!


That log was higher than expected. I don’t think I would have crossed it with my snake boots. I have excellent traction with the Lowas.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
User avatar
String Music
10 Point
 
Posts: 3090
Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:25 pm
Location: Knoxville

Re: Switched to Gaiters

Postby TheLBLman » Fri May 17, 2019 8:13 pm

String Music wrote:I went with the Lowa’s after the sole started coming off my Asolos. . . . .
Here’s a link to the Caminos: https://www.lowaboots.com/mens/trekking ... gray-black

Thanks for all the info!

Unlike you with your log-crossing antics, I typically just walk thru the water and need a little taller boot :D

What are you thoughts on these particular 10" boots with gaiters for the areas you're hunting?

https://kenetrek.com/products/mountain- ... 7833913402

By the way, the last time I walked a log like you did, the log was over a swamp, my foot slipped, and I ended up in 5-ft deep nasty, stinky, snaky water! It didn't seem that slick when I started across. Seems I've learned the "hard way" much about crossing swampy areas!
TheLBLman
Non-Typical
 
Posts: 26061
Joined: Wed Jun 12, 2002 12:00 pm
Location: Knoxville-Dover-Union City, TN

Re: Switched to Gaiters

Postby String Music » Fri May 17, 2019 9:14 pm

TheLBLman wrote:
String Music wrote:I went with the Lowa’s after the sole started coming off my Asolos. . . . .
Here’s a link to the Caminos: https://www.lowaboots.com/mens/trekking ... gray-black

Thanks for all the info!

Unlike you with your log-crossing antics, I typically just walk thru the water and need a little taller boot :D

What are you thoughts on these particular 10" boots with gaiters for the areas you're hunting?

https://kenetrek.com/products/mountain- ... 7833913402

By the way, the last time I walked a log like you did, the log was over a swamp, my foot slipped, and I ended up in 5-ft deep nasty, stinky, snaky water! It didn't seem that slick when I started across. Seems I've learned the "hard way" much about crossing swampy areas!


Kenetreks are excellent boots from what I’ve read. I don’t think the 10” boot is necessary, but I don’t cross many deep streams where I hunt.

I can’t imagine falling into a nasty swamp like that!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
User avatar
String Music
10 Point
 
Posts: 3090
Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:25 pm
Location: Knoxville

Re: Switched to Gaiters

Postby TheLBLman » Fri May 17, 2019 9:43 pm

String Music wrote:I can’t imagine falling into a nasty swamp like that!

Let me help you imagine! :tu:
This was a log across a backwater slough near the Mississippi River.
The slough was several hundred yards long, but only about 15 yards wide where this giant cypress had fallen across.

I was bowhunting in early October.
Around noon the day before, I had carefully crossed this log, without incident, carrying a tree stand.
I was delighted to have found it, since it saved my walking several hundred yards to around the head of the slough.

This slough is about as cottonmouth snaky a looking place you'll ever see, and near it is where one of the biggest cottonmouths I've ever seen actually did strike me right above my left ankle. Fortunately, I was wearing snake boots on top of my stocking foot waders.

Anyway, when I came in way before light the next morning, this big cypress log was wet from dew, and very slick, unlike the mid-day before.
I ended up neck deep in the nasty crap in like a split second. And it was nasty, as in covered with all kinds of moss and crap. Did keep my bow above my head, but everything else was covered in muddy moss and soaked. And more disgusting & frustrating, I lost my small light when I fell, so had to climb up the bank in total darkness. P.S. Always carry two waterproof headlamps (one in a secure pocket)!

Worse would be falling 10 feet on hard rock, like you could have done.
TheLBLman
Non-Typical
 
Posts: 26061
Joined: Wed Jun 12, 2002 12:00 pm
Location: Knoxville-Dover-Union City, TN

Re: Switched to Gaiters

Postby Shanman » Fri May 17, 2019 10:17 pm

String.....thanks for giving an update, I think you have convinced me to try a pair. I've always just kept my eyes moving and walked on through, would hate to know how many no-shoulders I've stepped over. Snake boots always looked to hot to me but I really like the route you took with the hiking boots. Thanks again for the update.
Shanman
6 Point
 
Posts: 588
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2007 7:21 pm
Location: Loudon Co., Tn

Re: Switched to Gaiters

Postby String Music » Sat May 18, 2019 5:37 am

TheLBLman wrote:
String Music wrote:I can’t imagine falling into a nasty swamp like that!

Let me help you imagine! :tu:
This was a log across a backwater slough near the Mississippi River.
The slough was several hundred yards long, but only about 15 yards wide where this giant cypress had fallen across.

I was bowhunting in early October.
Around noon the day before, I had carefully crossed this log, without incident, carrying a tree stand.
I was delighted to have found it, since it saved my walking several hundred yards to around the head of the slough.

This slough is about as cottonmouth snaky a looking place you'll ever see, and near it is where one of the biggest cottonmouths I've ever seen actually did strike me right above my left ankle. Fortunately, I was wearing snake boots on top of my stocking foot waders.

Anyway, when I came in way before light the next morning, this big cypress log was wet from dew, and very slick, unlike the mid-day before.
I ended up neck deep in the nasty crap in like a split second. And it was nasty, as in covered with all kinds of moss and crap. Did keep my bow above my head, but everything else was covered in muddy moss and soaked. And more disgusting & frustrating, I lost my small light when I fell, so had to climb up the bank in total darkness. P.S. Always carry two waterproof headlamps (one in a secure pocket)!

Worse would be falling 10 feet on hard rock, like you could have done.


That’s brutal! I’m glad cottonmouths aren’t in the areas I hunt. I’d be wearing snake proof bibs every where I went if we did!

Good thing that slough wasn’t deeper or you could have been in serious trouble.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
User avatar
String Music
10 Point
 
Posts: 3090
Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:25 pm
Location: Knoxville

Re: Switched to Gaiters

Postby String Music » Sat May 18, 2019 5:45 am

Shanman wrote:String.....thanks for giving an update, I think you have convinced me to try a pair. I've always just kept my eyes moving and walked on through, would hate to know how many no-shoulders I've stepped over. Snake boots always looked to hot to me but I really like the route you took with the hiking boots. Thanks again for the update.


You’re welcome, buddy. I’m planning on leaving the gaiters in my truck. They will come in handy throughout the summer checking cameras, scouting, weed eating, etc. A small price to pay for peace of mind.

My nephew was bit by a copperhead at Fall Creek Falls a couple years ago and had to be air lifted to the hospital in Knoxville. Luckily the only helicopter in East Tennessee that carried anti-venom was able to pick him up. It allowed him to make a full recovery. Most helicopters and ambulances don’t carry anti-venom because of its short shelf-life of 60 days.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
User avatar
String Music
10 Point
 
Posts: 3090
Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:25 pm
Location: Knoxville

Re: Switched to Gaiters

Postby Andy S. » Sat May 18, 2019 6:16 am

String Music wrote:My nephew was bit by a copperhead at Fall Creek Falls a couple years ago and had to be air lifted to the hospital in Knoxville.
That is terrible, glad he made a full recovery. Do you know the details of him getting bit? Bit through boots, pants, on bare foot, on hand, etc?
Andy S.

If I had saved all the money I spent on hunting, I'd spend it on hunting.
User avatar
Andy S.
16 Point
 
Posts: 16474
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 1999 12:00 pm
Location: Atoka, TN

Re: Switched to Gaiters

Postby JeepKuntry » Sat May 18, 2019 6:58 am

Guess I'm the oddball. Bought a pair of Rocky's 3 years ago from the classifieds here for $40. They are still going strong. I prefer protection on the foot and ankle as well. The boots aren't that hot to me.
JeepKuntry
16 Point
 
Posts: 17803
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2004 1:00 pm
Location: Clinton, TN

Re: Switched to Gaiters

Postby String Music » Sat May 18, 2019 7:10 am

Andy S. wrote:
String Music wrote:My nephew was bit by a copperhead at Fall Creek Falls a couple years ago and had to be air lifted to the hospital in Knoxville.
That is terrible, glad he made a full recovery. Do you know the details of him getting bit? Bit through boots, pants, on bare foot, on hand, etc?


He was wearing flip flops and got bit on his pinky toe. Only one fang got him. He was walking on a main trail that several people had walked on just before he went through.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
User avatar
String Music
10 Point
 
Posts: 3090
Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:25 pm
Location: Knoxville

Re: Switched to Gaiters

Postby REN » Sat May 18, 2019 12:10 pm

Switched to gaiters myself this year (non snake proof ones) and will never go back to rubber boots. Wear them with some waterproof Merrill’s and really enjoy the added comfort and less weight.
User avatar
REN
14 Point
 
Posts: 7961
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2007 2:18 pm
Location: Wilson County, TN

Re: Switched to Gaiters

Postby AT Hiker » Sat May 18, 2019 12:56 pm

Lowa Tibet’s GTX with outdoor research gaiters. I’ve been wearing this same set up for well over 7 years. Lots and lots of miles here, the Appalachian mountains and Rockies. Wading water with a properly treated boot is a breeze (wet grass is no longer a concern either) and the stability the boot and gaiter gives just makes one feel more confident and stronger.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
User avatar
AT Hiker
14 Point
 
Posts: 7684
Joined: Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:03 am
Location: Clarksville, Tennessee

Re: Switched to Gaiters

Postby String Music » Sat May 18, 2019 3:55 pm

REN wrote:Switched to gaiters myself this year (non snake proof ones) and will never go back to rubber boots. Wear them with some waterproof Merrill’s and really enjoy the added comfort and less weight.


Which Merrells do you have?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
User avatar
String Music
10 Point
 
Posts: 3090
Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:25 pm
Location: Knoxville

Re: Switched to Gaiters

Postby String Music » Sat May 18, 2019 3:56 pm

AT Hiker wrote:Lowa Tibet’s GTX with outdoor research gaiters. I’ve been wearing this same set up for well over 7 years. Lots and lots of miles here, the Appalachian mountains and Rockies. Wading water with a properly treated boot is a breeze (wet grass is no longer a concern either) and the stability the boot and gaiter gives just makes one feel more confident and stronger.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


That’s a serious boot. I tried crossing a stream in OR gaiters and my boots filled with water every time. What’s the secret?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
User avatar
String Music
10 Point
 
Posts: 3090
Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:25 pm
Location: Knoxville

Re: Switched to Gaiters

Postby REN » Sat May 18, 2019 4:06 pm

String Music wrote:
REN wrote:Switched to gaiters myself this year (non snake proof ones) and will never go back to rubber boots. Wear them with some waterproof Merrill’s and really enjoy the added comfort and less weight.


Which Merrells do you have?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


The moab2 gortex. Using the first lite waterproof gaiters as well. Was super nice walking in them this year

Snakes are not really an issue where I hunt


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
User avatar
REN
14 Point
 
Posts: 7961
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2007 2:18 pm
Location: Wilson County, TN

Re: Switched to Gaiters

Postby Newt » Sat May 18, 2019 8:58 pm

Ditched the snake boots a couple year ago and been wearing gaiters since then, love them and it’s a small price to pay against copperheads and rattle snakes in my neck of the woods. And scared of snakes or not they don’t discriminate when you step on one. Still amazing to me how well they blend in on the forest floor
Attachments
493B0F8A-F3A3-4187-AFA4-15EDE94F9379.jpeg
493B0F8A-F3A3-4187-AFA4-15EDE94F9379.jpeg (141.02 KiB) Viewed 75 times
Newt
Spike
 
Posts: 81
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:24 pm

Re: Switched to Gaiters

Postby AT Hiker » Mon May 20, 2019 5:24 pm

As long as my boots are treated (I use kentrek wax) I’m good. Maybe I got lucky with my gaiters, idk.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
User avatar
AT Hiker
14 Point
 
Posts: 7684
Joined: Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:03 am
Location: Clarksville, Tennessee

Re: Switched to Gaiters

Postby TheLBLman » Mon May 20, 2019 5:32 pm

AT Hiker wrote:As long as my boots are treated (I use kentrek wax) I’m good. Maybe I got lucky with my gaiters, idk.

AT, are you saying you cross water over your boots, and those kenetrek treated gaiters still keep your feet dry? :o
TheLBLman
Non-Typical
 
Posts: 26061
Joined: Wed Jun 12, 2002 12:00 pm
Location: Knoxville-Dover-Union City, TN

PreviousNext

Return to Long Beards & Spurs

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: wmd and 15 guests