Switched to Gaiters

TheLBLman

Thanks for the update!

String Music":1mvcr9fj said:
. . . . . Lowa Caminos . . . . . .
Mind elaborating more on why you chose these particular boots to compliment your gaiters?
They don't look very snake-proof.

I am also pondering going the gaiter route rather than snake boots.

THIS does not look like a guy who would be worried much about snakes! :tu:
String Music":1mvcr9fj said:
0379ae805b6d3b448358dd9ee233deb3.jpg
I'd be more worried about slipping off that log than snakebites
even if I were just wearing regular tennis shoes where you're hunting!

String Music

TheLBLman":2j6e4u7i said:
Thanks for the update!

String Music":2j6e4u7i said:
Mind elaborating more on why you chose these particular boots to compliment your gaiters?

String Music":2j6e4u7i said:

I went with the Lowa's after the sole started coming off my Asolos. The caminos are mostly nubuck leather and pretty stout. I don't think a copperhead could bite through it and a rattlesnake typically bites from the ankle up. It was one of the highest rated boot in the reviews I read. The Salomon 4Ds weren't tempting but I think a copperhead could get through those.

Dave Owens from Pinhoti Project wears Crispi Summits. It's a nice looking boot.

Here's a link to the Caminos: https://www.lowaboots.com/mens/trekking ... gray-black

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

String Music

TheLBLman":3upcm0hw said:
Thanks for the update!

String Music":3upcm0hw said:

String Music":3upcm0hw said:

That log was higher than expected. I don't think I would have crossed it with my snake boots. I have excellent traction with the Lowas.

TheLBLman

String Music":189bz3lv said:
I went with the Lowa's after the sole started coming off my Asolos. . . . .
Here's a link to the Caminos: https://www.lowaboots.com/mens/trekking ... gray-black
Thanks for all the info!

Unlike you with your log-crossing antics, I typically just walk thru the water and need a little taller boot :D

What are you thoughts on these particular 10" boots with gaiters for the areas you're hunting?

https://kenetrek.com/products/mountain- ... 7833913402

By the way, the last time I walked a log like you did, the log was over a swamp, my foot slipped, and I ended up in 5-ft deep nasty, stinky, snaky water! It didn't seem that slick when I started across. Seems I've learned the "hard way" much about crossing swampy areas!

String Music

TheLBLman":1xwfl4e8 said:
String Music":1xwfl4e8 said:
I went with the Lowa's after the sole started coming off my Asolos. . . . .
Thanks for all the info!

Unlike you with your log-crossing antics, I typically just walk thru the water and need a little taller boot :D

What are you thoughts on these particular 10" boots with gaiters for the areas you're hunting?

https://kenetrek.com/products/mountain- ... 7833913402

By the way, the last time I walked a log like you did, the log was over a swamp, my foot slipped, and I ended up in 5-ft deep nasty, stinky, snaky water! It didn't seem that slick when I started across. Seems I've learned the "hard way" much about crossing swampy areas!

Kenetreks are excellent boots from what I've read. I don't think the 10" boot is necessary, but I don't cross many deep streams where I hunt.

I can't imagine falling into a nasty swamp like that!

TheLBLman

String Music":2fpxbq7j said:
Let me help you imagine! :tu:
This was a log across a backwater slough near the Mississippi River.
The slough was several hundred yards long, but only about 15 yards wide where this giant cypress had fallen across.

I was bowhunting in early October.
Around noon the day before, I had carefully crossed this log, without incident, carrying a tree stand.
I was delighted to have found it, since it saved my walking several hundred yards to around the head of the slough.

This slough is about as cottonmouth snaky a looking place you'll ever see, and near it is where one of the biggest cottonmouths I've ever seen actually did strike me right above my left ankle. Fortunately, I was wearing snake boots on top of my stocking foot waders.

Anyway, when I came in way before light the next morning, this big cypress log was wet from dew, and very slick, unlike the mid-day before.
I ended up neck deep in the nasty crap in like a split second. And it was nasty, as in covered with all kinds of moss and crap. Did keep my bow above my head, but everything else was covered in muddy moss and soaked. And more disgusting & frustrating, I lost my small light when I fell, so had to climb up the bank in total darkness. P.S. Always carry two waterproof headlamps (one in a secure pocket)!

Worse would be falling 10 feet on hard rock, like you could have done.

Shanman

String.....thanks for giving an update, I think you have convinced me to try a pair. I've always just kept my eyes moving and walked on through, would hate to know how many no-shoulders I've stepped over. Snake boots always looked to hot to me but I really like the route you took with the hiking boots. Thanks again for the update.

String Music

TheLBLman":102yzh6a said:
String Music":102yzh6a said:
Let me help you imagine! :tu:
This was a log across a backwater slough near the Mississippi River.
The slough was several hundred yards long, but only about 15 yards wide where this giant cypress had fallen across.

I was bowhunting in early October.
Around noon the day before, I had carefully crossed this log, without incident, carrying a tree stand.
I was delighted to have found it, since it saved my walking several hundred yards to around the head of the slough.

This slough is about as cottonmouth snaky a looking place you'll ever see, and near it is where one of the biggest cottonmouths I've ever seen actually did strike me right above my left ankle. Fortunately, I was wearing snake boots on top of my stocking foot waders.

Anyway, when I came in way before light the next morning, this big cypress log was wet from dew, and very slick, unlike the mid-day before.
I ended up neck deep in the nasty crap in like a split second. And it was nasty, as in covered with all kinds of moss and crap. Did keep my bow above my head, but everything else was covered in muddy moss and soaked. And more disgusting & frustrating, I lost my small light when I fell, so had to climb up the bank in total darkness. P.S. Always carry two waterproof headlamps (one in a secure pocket)!

Worse would be falling 10 feet on hard rock, like you could have done.

That's brutal! I'm glad cottonmouths aren't in the areas I hunt. I'd be wearing snake proof bibs every where I went if we did!

Good thing that slough wasn't deeper or you could have been in serious trouble.

String Music

Shanman":2zlhyyve said:
String.....thanks for giving an update, I think you have convinced me to try a pair. I've always just kept my eyes moving and walked on through, would hate to know how many no-shoulders I've stepped over. Snake boots always looked to hot to me but I really like the route you took with the hiking boots. Thanks again for the update.

You're welcome, buddy. I'm planning on leaving the gaiters in my truck. They will come in handy throughout the summer checking cameras, scouting, weed eating, etc. A small price to pay for peace of mind.

My nephew was bit by a copperhead at Fall Creek Falls a couple years ago and had to be air lifted to the hospital in Knoxville. Luckily the only helicopter in East Tennessee that carried anti-venom was able to pick him up. It allowed him to make a full recovery. Most helicopters and ambulances don't carry anti-venom because of its short shelf-life of 60 days.

Andy S.

String Music":2y9vba7v said:
My nephew was bit by a copperhead at Fall Creek Falls a couple years ago and had to be air lifted to the hospital in Knoxville.
That is terrible, glad he made a full recovery. Do you know the details of him getting bit? Bit through boots, pants, on bare foot, on hand, etc?

JeepKuntry

Guess I'm the oddball. Bought a pair of Rocky's 3 years ago from the classifieds here for $40. They are still going strong. I prefer protection on the foot and ankle as well. The boots aren't that hot to me.

String Music

Andy S.":1g6r2v5k said:
String Music":1g6r2v5k said:
My nephew was bit by a copperhead at Fall Creek Falls a couple years ago and had to be air lifted to the hospital in Knoxville.
That is terrible, glad he made a full recovery. Do you know the details of him getting bit? Bit through boots, pants, on bare foot, on hand, etc?

He was wearing flip flops and got bit on his pinky toe. Only one fang got him. He was walking on a main trail that several people had walked on just before he went through.

REN

Switched to gaiters myself this year (non snake proof ones) and will never go back to rubber boots. Wear them with some waterproof Merrill's and really enjoy the added comfort and less weight.

AT Hiker

Lowa Tibet's GTX with outdoor research gaiters. I've been wearing this same set up for well over 7 years. Lots and lots of miles here, the Appalachian mountains and Rockies. Wading water with a properly treated boot is a breeze (wet grass is no longer a concern either) and the stability the boot and gaiter gives just makes one feel more confident and stronger.

String Music

REN":de911r5r said:
Switched to gaiters myself this year (non snake proof ones) and will never go back to rubber boots. Wear them with some waterproof Merrill's and really enjoy the added comfort and less weight.

Which Merrells do you have?

String Music

AT Hiker":3hshvp9h said:
Lowa Tibet's GTX with outdoor research gaiters. I've been wearing this same set up for well over 7 years. Lots and lots of miles here, the Appalachian mountains and Rockies. Wading water with a properly treated boot is a breeze (wet grass is no longer a concern either) and the stability the boot and gaiter gives just makes one feel more confident and stronger.

That's a serious boot. I tried crossing a stream in OR gaiters and my boots filled with water every time. What's the secret?

REN

String Music":1ko1upwy said:
REN":1ko1upwy said:

Which Merrells do you have?

The moab2 gortex. Using the first lite waterproof gaiters as well. Was super nice walking in them this year

Snakes are not really an issue where I hunt

Newt

Ditched the snake boots a couple year ago and been wearing gaiters since then, love them and it's a small price to pay against copperheads and rattle snakes in my neck of the woods. And scared of snakes or not they don't discriminate when you step on one. Still amazing to me how well they blend in on the forest floor

Attachments

• 493B0F8A-F3A3-4187-AFA4-15EDE94F9379.jpeg
    493B0F8A-F3A3-4187-AFA4-15EDE94F9379.jpeg
    141 KB · Views: 2,048

Latest posts