MS report

Spurhunter

I spent Friday and Saturday hunting central MS (around 50 miles north of Jackson). Friday was a glorious spring day. 50 degrees at daylight. I only heard 3 gobbles on the limb in 3 different directions way off, but thoroughly enjoyed being in the woods. I was amazed at the green up down there compared to SW TN. Saturday morning was cold but the birds were warming up. Heard 5 birds gobble a half a dozen times each. Got set up on a bird roosted over a deep creek. Of course before fly down some hens got cranked up on the other side of the creek. He went to them and that was it. He did gobble a few times on the ground. The dogwoods are in full bloom down there. Can't wait to get back.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

megalomaniac

Crazy green down here. Full bloom dogwoods everywhere.

Our population is down as well, so it's harder to find the suicidal 2yos wandering in between flocks early in season. In fact, many of the 2yos actually have their own small harems right now. Itll be interesting to see what our kill numbers are at the end of the year (first year for mandatory check in). I bet we end up well less than TN, despite the conventional wisdom that MS has more birds. We USED to have more birds than TN, but the population has plummeted in the past decade in south MS.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

Roost 1

Tough 2 days in southern Alabama. No gobbles on the limb either day. Bumped some hens midday Saturday on a hardwood ridge and as they ran down off the backside a bird gobbled in the bottom. Went back this morning and set up in a blowdown, never heard a turkey gobble or hen yep. Heard some fly down so I scratched in the leaves a little and wasn't long I heard him drum, shortly after that a hen popped up on top and then a couple more and here he came. Thank goodness for the blowdown or I would have been easily picked off in the wide open woods.

Attachments

• 7E00F317-2CBD-46AE-8BA3-291F10C64FDD.jpeg
    7E00F317-2CBD-46AE-8BA3-291F10C64FDD.jpeg
    109.2 KB · Views: 1,467

Spurhunter

megalomaniac":3s1lg38k said:
Itll be interesting to see what our kill numbers are at the end of the year (first year for mandatory check in).

I'm not optimistic that the numbers will be even close to accurate. A lot of folks are pretty set in their ways. They haven't ever had to check a bird in and I don't see them starting now. I was sure hoping to get to!

Spurhunter

Roost 1":16ayr4yd said:
Tough 2 days in southern Alabama. No gobbles on the limb either day. Bumped some hens midday Saturday on a hardwood ridge and as they ran down off the backside a bird gobbled in the bottom. Went back this morning and set up in a blowdown, never heard a turkey gobble or hen yep. Heard some fly down so I scratched in the leaves a little and wasn't long I heard him drum, shortly after that a hen popped up on top and then a couple more and here he came. Thank goodness for the blowdown or I would have been easily picked off in the wide open woods.
Congratulations. Right time right place!

megalomaniac

Congrats roost! But I do SO hate how birds this far south don't gobble well.

I suspect there will be a lot of birds that go unchecked. Hopefully the wardens bust a few and the word gets out. MS is flying blind as far as Turkey management

Newt

Congratulations roost, I bet that still had your heart pumping even though he didn't gobble!! I wish Tennessee would go back to wrapping a tag around the turkey or deer as soon as you walk up. This phone and internet net is handy but I think it can be abused fairly easy.

megalomaniac

Only 2634 checked in statewide as of this morning. Pretty pathetic for the opening 4 days of season, plus a week of Juvie prior. Hard to know whether it's because of poor compliance with mandatory game check or our population is really that low now.

Spurhunter

megalomaniac":1tm5cbkr said:
Only 2634 checked in statewide as of this morning. Pretty pathetic for the opening 4 days of season, plus a week of Juvie prior. Hard to know whether it's because of poor compliance with mandatory game check or our population is really that low now.

I didn't know they were posting like TN does. I'm going to try to keep up with it.

spoon

Heard 2 gobble on the limb yesterday morning. We setup on them only to have them fly down the opposite direction. Hunted until 11 without hearing a bird. That afternoon sat near their roosting tree and I took one.

This morning we have split up, neither of us have heard a bird

megalomaniac

spoon":3k2x4916 said:
Heard 2 gobble on the limb yesterday morning. We setup on them only to have them fly down the opposite direction. Hunted until 11 without hearing a bird. That afternoon sat near their roosting tree and I took one.

This morning we have split up, neither of us have heard a bird
Grats on #2 Spoon! Did he gobble and work or just sneak in?

I hunted from 9am till 1230 today. Covered 2.5 miles and finally struck a bird at 1130. He only gobbled back to aggressive cutting, I worked in on him, but he refused to budge toward me. Must have had hens.... but I know where he's roosting over a swamp and noone else on my lease knows he's there :) Going to kill him Sun morn before church. (At least that's the best laid plans!)

Latest posts