CWD and feral / wild hogs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Popcorn

2-Step Enabled
Cookeville, TN Cadiz, KY and random other places
I have not seen anything in regards to hogs contracting CWD but knowing that they are omnivores and often eat deer both alive and dead as well as the remains from field dressing.

1. Is there evidence of wild hogs contracting or carrying / spreading CWD ?
It seems likely via fecal transport, thoughts?
What about passively by casual contact at a feeding, collecting prions on their hair, skin, hooves from a contaminated site.
2. What are considerations for dealing with this additional vehicle for the disease.

3. Should we not be far more proactive in eradicating hogs for this reason as well as all the other known reasons?

Omega

Popcorn":2efsjrkm said:
I have not seen anything in regards to hogs contracting CWD but knowing that they are omnivores and often eat deer both alive and dead as well as the remains from field dressing.

1. Is there evidence of wild hogs contracting or carrying / spreading CWD ?
It seems likely via fecal transport, thoughts?
What about passively by casual contact at a feeding, collecting prions on their hair, skin, hooves from a contaminated site.
2. What are considerations for dealing with this additional vehicle for the disease.

3. Should we not be far more proactive in eradicating hogs for this reason as well as all the other known reasons?
I've not read anything in regards to hogs and CWD, and with as many vultures and other carrion eating animals to worry about hogs don't rate as high, in my book. Besides, plenty of other reasons to exterminates hogs already, CWD doesn't make the cut with most that are overrun with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts