• Advertisement

CWD and feral / wild hogs

This forum is for asking questions of TWRA personnel. Threads in this forum are not open for debate. Personal opinions and debate are not allowed in this forum and are subject to deletion.

Moderator: TWRA Moderators

CWD and feral / wild hogs

Postby Popcorn » Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:00 pm

I have not seen anything in regards to hogs contracting CWD but knowing that they are omnivores and often eat deer both alive and dead as well as the remains from field dressing.

1. Is there evidence of wild hogs contracting or carrying / spreading CWD ?
It seems likely via fecal transport, thoughts?
What about passively by casual contact at a feeding, collecting prions on their hair, skin, hooves from a contaminated site.
2. What are considerations for dealing with this additional vehicle for the disease.

3. Should we not be far more proactive in eradicating hogs for this reason as well as all the other known reasons?
I just don't see this ending without blood loss

Trump 2020
Popcorn
Spike

Advertisement

Re: CWD and feral / wild hogs

Postby Omega » Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:08 am

Popcorn wrote:I have not seen anything in regards to hogs contracting CWD but knowing that they are omnivores and often eat deer both alive and dead as well as the remains from field dressing.

1. Is there evidence of wild hogs contracting or carrying / spreading CWD ?
It seems likely via fecal transport, thoughts?
What about passively by casual contact at a feeding, collecting prions on their hair, skin, hooves from a contaminated site.
2. What are considerations for dealing with this additional vehicle for the disease.

3. Should we not be far more proactive in eradicating hogs for this reason as well as all the other known reasons?
I've not read anything in regards to hogs and CWD, and with as many vultures and other carrion eating animals to worry about hogs don't rate as high, in my book. Besides, plenty of other reasons to exterminates hogs already, CWD doesn't make the cut with most that are overrun with them.
"Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
~Pericles~
Omega
4 Point

Re: CWD and feral / wild hogs

Postby scn » Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:50 am

At this point, chronic wasting disease has only been documented in cervids. Thus, hogs are not an issue for this problem.
scn
16 Point

Return to TWRA QUESTIONS