• Advertisement

Weird

Pretty much anything you want to talk about!

Weird

Postby TRIGGER » Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:39 pm

I just received this email :
(The following form has been submitted from your website - http://www.laalterationsakronoh.com.
Phone: 6074251847
Name: Benjamin Chandler
Message: I have a Joseph Abboud Gray Herringbone Topcoat that I need to get tailored a bit. It is about 3 inches to long. Can you give me a round about price on how much it would be to adjust the length?
Email: bac1022@yahoo.com)

I looked at the website and it also shows my address as there’s. There located in Akron Ohio. It seems to be a legitimate company. What should I do?

I receive similar emails when someone reaches me through my website. But for concrete not alterations.
TRIGGER
12 Point

Advertisement

Re: Weird

Postby Omega » Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:42 pm

Contact the webmaster, usually listed at the bottom of the page, and let them know, they'll fix it.
"Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
~Pericles~
Omega
4 Point

Postby KENBOB10 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:44 pm

Get some thread and needles and get busy! Sheesh!
KENBOB10
16 Point

Postby TRIGGER » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:13 pm

Omega wrote:Contact the webmaster, usually listed at the bottom of the page, and let them know, they'll fix it.

I don’t see the webmaster at the bottom of the page. I guess I will call the number on the website and talk to them tomorrow.
TRIGGER
12 Point

Postby TRIGGER » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:13 pm

KENBOB10 wrote:Get some thread and needles and get busy! Sheesh!

They would have some really mad customers lol
TRIGGER
12 Point

Postby BMan » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:16 pm

I'd be willing to bet that whomever set your web site up, also set up that one and didn't scrub their template of your information.

Your address is on the page, but at the bottom; the correct address is near the top of the page, along with their local phone number. If the person who put the page missed that, it's entirely possible they left your e-mail address in the code that processes the form data when someone enters it. The fact you've only received one shows they get most of their business through phone calls, not webpage forms.

Give them a call and let them know what's going on; they'll appreciate it!
I'd rather be deplorable than despicable.
BMan
16 Point

Postby BMan » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:22 pm

TRIGGER wrote:
Omega wrote:Contact the webmaster, usually listed at the bottom of the page, and let them know, they'll fix it.

I don’t see the webmaster at the bottom of the page. I guess I will call the number on the website and talk to them tomorrow.

They're going through one of the small-business centric web hosting companies; believe it or not, there are over 13,000 other web sites hosted at the same IP address.

http://whois.domaintools.com/laalterationsakronoh.com

In fact, I just checked and Trigger's web site is hosted on the same web server.
BMan
16 Point

Postby Omega » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:40 pm

BMan wrote:
TRIGGER wrote:

They're going through one of the small-business centric web hosting companies; believe it or not, there are over 13,000 other web sites hosted at the same IP address.

http://whois.domaintools.com/laalterationsakronoh.com

In fact, I just checked and Trigger's web site is hosted on the same web server.
Same host, that's entirely normal, but must be different IPs, otherwise the websites would be all messed up.

Trigger: Did you use the built in website builder for your site? If so, it's an issue which must be addressed with your web host. The system's cache bled over to that other site, and possibly others, when they did theirs. Possibly, hopefully, the web host can fix the issue of your address and info on others pages, otherwise each owner must do it themselves.
"Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
~Pericles~
Omega
4 Point

Postby BMan » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:59 pm

Omega wrote:Same host, that's entirely normal, but must be different IPs, otherwise the websites would be all messed up.

Let me say, I actually misspoke (mistyped, actually). The domains were all hosted on that one server, not the individual websites for those domains. My bad.

That being said, though, it is common to have multiple sites from multiple domains hosted on one (or usually one cluster to improve performance) web server using only one or a small number of IP addresses. The web servers check the URL that is being called and present content based upon the URL.

For example (using a simplified MS IIS model), on one web server you would have individual folders as follows:
c:\inetpub\
abc.com
def.com
uvw.com
xyz.com
You "bind" each folder to a URL; the web server reads the requested URL and presents the material in the appropriate folder. Someone going to http://www.abc.com will see the site contained in the abc.com folder, while those going to http://www.xyz.com will see the site contained in the xyz.com folder. You can host as many discrete sites, in different domains, on one server using one IP, as your hardware and network can handle.

We currently have one web server that hosts over 30 fairly static web sites, all for different domains of companies that we own, using one IP address. The web server pulls data from other servers on the back end, but the IP address for all 30 of those URLs is the same.
Last edited by BMan on Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
BMan
16 Point

Postby Omega » Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:14 am

That's interesting, was that due to the depletion of ipv4 addresses?
~Pericles~
Omega
4 Point

Postby BMan » Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:48 am

Omega wrote:That's interesting, was that due to the depletion of ipv4 addresses?

Matter of efficiency. Just no need to waste IP addresses when you can serve multiple sites using one. It has been standard practice on web servers for as long as I can remember.

Now bear in mind, the more heavily used a site is the more likely it will have a unique IP address or, as mentioned above, load balanced amongst a cluster of servers.
BMan
16 Point

Postby Mike Belt » Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:33 am

Good to know. I have a pair of bib coveralls and need a full length zipper put in. What do you charge for that?
Mike Belt
Non-Typical

Return to TnDeer General Forum