Sobering Article on VOLs Football

PillsburyDoughboy

FWIW I havent busted too bad on Pruitt and I think he is doing the very best job he possibly can for the vols. With that said I think there is a climate in volville that lends itself to a uphill battle and I really don't see him over coming it though. Some things will change under Pruitt..others won't.

TreyB

But BJ recruited a bunch of 5* guys right? Mac didn't. Good coaches work with what they have and that separates them from the new and wanna be coaches. :tu:

All we heard was the last few years was the worst gator teams in the last 30 years. Mullen coached them up and ran with it.

PalsPal

PillsburyDoughboy":1mmejnuq said:
With that said I think there is a climate in volville that lends itself to a uphill battle and I really don't see him over coming it though. Some things will change under Pruitt..others won't.

Didn't need to read the article, but you are correct about the climate.

BUT, that has changed. When you look at just how close we were to having Schiano as our coach and whathisname as AD, it would have continued our nuclear winter. But, to come out of the chaos with Fulmer and Pruitt was about as good as we could do. Not sure how he's doing it, but Fulmer appears set on helping JP succeed. We are opening the wallets to attract recruiters and coaches. That has not happened in years.

They still have to prove it on the field, but it's coming.

elknturkey

What do they have to do to prove it? Win the East? Win the sec? Make the playoffs? Championship? Or is winning 10 games a year enough?

Grandslam11

Pruitt says over and over, he is just finding a way to get his best ball players on the field. That is something that fundamentally goes back to high school football. Jones had the NFL Rookie of the Year sitting on the bench.... that is what excites me about Pruitt. That plus the fact he was able to recruit as well as he did coming off a 5-7 season. I would much rather be sitting in Mullen or Smarts seat with as much talent as they are surrounded by, but my hat is off to Pruitt. Time will tell what he can do with them, but I don't see him having a Kamara type player, playing backup anywhere.

cbhunter

Grandslam11":1hwb21z1 said:
Pruitt says over and over, he is just finding a way to get his best ball players on the field. That is something that fundamentally goes back to high school football. Jones had the NFL Rookie of the Year sitting on the bench.... that is what excites me about Pruitt. That plus the fact he was able to recruit as well as he did coming off a 5-7 season. I would much rather be sitting in Mullen or Smarts seat with as much talent as they are surrounded by, but my hat is off to Pruitt. Time will tell what he can do with them, but I don't see him having a Kamara type player, playing backup anywhere.

I just hope he puts the best QB on the field this year. And if that is JG then I will eat my crow

gator-n-buck

Let me get this straight.... You mean when I was busting on all those top 10 recruiting classes that CBJ brought in, littered with a bunch of 3 stars that didn't pan out? Really... shocker.

Some of y'all have some explaining to do that were defending those over signed, 3 star classes... That's right, we remember who you are....... :rotf:

gator-n-buck

buckaroo":2vuo1dwv said:
Great players need great coaches too, don't worry gator we got both now

Here we go again.... :rotf:

There has been no proof either way at this point. The only thing that has changed and a post above had touched on it, is that Fulmer and Pruitt has opened the "wallet" to recruit. I'm sure both have prior knowledge on how the "bagman" operates.... :rotf:

buckaroo

Ansley,Tee,Chaney, with a class counting transfers as 3rd in country, if you can't see that as a great improvement, no need talking ball

cardia10

I agree, anything right now is an improvement, but it sure does hurt knowing you fired a guy who recently won the East and had a 7-4 record. What we would give for that now...

TreyB

They have FSU at 22 and UCLA at 21... And we all laugh at those two coaches right? :pop: :tu:

Bone Collector

Grandslam11":2cm083v0 said:
Then you get this...

https://247sports.com/college/tennessee ... 129105595/

someone was smoking some good orange stuff when they made this.

Oh Good Lort.... we do have some returning players, but 1. They really haven't done much, so what can we expect from them, and 2. we will be younger across the board, so I expect an improvement, but the bar wasn't set that high, so 6-6 or 7-5 would be an improvement, so....

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
elknturkey":2ssd7n3n said:
What do they have to do to prove it? Win the East? Win the sec? Make the playoffs? Championship? Or is winning 10 games a year enough?

None of that was good enough to save Phil. :D

TreyB

RUGER":3avs7yki said:
elknturkey":3avs7yki said:

None of that was good enough to save Phil. :D

WINNER

7mm08

cbhunter":2yqkvm8y said:
Grandslam11":2yqkvm8y said:

I just hope he puts the best QB on the field this year. And if that is JG then I will eat my crow

I'm with you on that..... kid needs to focus on putting more meat on those bones than tats !!