Locking your handgun in your truck

fairchaser

7mm08":uzxjmzzd said:
My life is worth more than a 400-500$ Glock. Let em have it if they break in your car. But by golly it will be available quickly if I need it and I will not spin some combo lock trying to save my life or family's life. Just make sure you have the serial number written down somewhere and report it stolen. No big deal.

I agree 08 except I would hate for some thug to use my gun in a crime. I would use the safe only if I'm gonna leave it in my truck someplace I was worried it might get broken into. Otherwise, I would keep it handy where I could get to it quickly.

7mm08

fairchaser":y3xp0nfj said:
7mm08":y3xp0nfj said:
My life is worth more than a 400-500$ Glock. Let em have it if they break in your car. But by golly it will be available quickly if I need it and I will not spin some combo lock trying to save my life or family's life. Just make sure you have the serial number written down somewhere and report it stolen. No big deal.

I agree 08 except I would hate for some thug to use my gun in a crime. I would use the safe only if I'm gonna leave it in my truck someplace I was worried it might get broken into. Otherwise, I would keep it handy where I could get to it quickly.

Agreed but that is why you have the serial numbers to turn into the cops when it's stolen. The problem is you lock it up, but are you going to UNLOCK it and take it out 100% of the time. I wouldn't and then the ONE time you need it.....

GOODWIN

7mm08":2uuq8kgx said:
fairchaser":2uuq8kgx said:
7mm08":2uuq8kgx said:

Agreed but that is why you have the serial numbers to turn into the cops when it's stolen. The problem is you lock it up, but are you going to UNLOCK it and take it out 100% of the time. I wouldn't and then the ONE time you need it.....

I've turned 2 stolen gun serial numbers in yet to ever see them again. That's probably the norm unfortunately. I like the ability to lock up a handgun in my vehicle when I can't carry or I feel necessary. My wife and I both have been victims. Hate a thief.

Evil times we live in. Shame we even have to have these type conversations.

7mm08

A handgun is just a tool, simple.

Serial numbers and reporting to police are ONLY to protect YOU if it's used in a crime. Personally, all this whining about stolen handguns, etc gets old. Don't leave anything anywhere that you wouldn't or couldn't afford to have it stolen. Let's not all act high and mighty. How do YOU know all these rifles, shotguns, pistols sold on this site or any site was not stolen at some point in its history. I don't. Never checked, just assumed the guy was honest and telling the truth. There is no way to confirm a history of a firearm AND THERE SHOULD'NT BE.

PS. I ALWAYS laugh at the guys with GLOCK, H&K , Sig stickers on their trucks. Those dudes are begging to be broken into.

Omega

I carry my gun when I can, if for some reason I need to leave it behind in my vehicle, depending on location, and time I'll be gone, I lock it up. I go to Denver to visit my mom, so I purchased a TSA approved gun vault that has a steel handle that slides out of the case and can be clamped around things like the seat frame in the truck. It is not fool proof, but it will deter the casual thief and slow down the determined one. I used to keep a pistol, short barreled AR, in a compartment in my truck (out of sight out of mind), and still do now and then, but have to remove it when I go to work because I work on a military base. I would not want to have my weapon used in a crime, mostly because it will be stuck in evidence until they are done with it, same as if I use it in a SD situation, but I would have no guilt what-so-ever in the fact that it was stolen from me and then misused.

Tiny

Surprised nobody mention the hornady for vehicles.Been looking for something in case I had to leave in vehicle.
Gonna check the link out more.

I aint gonna go into supper details but along the lines of others mentioned here.I learned to have one avaialable at a moment notice n pay attention as best one can NO MATTER where at.
I have carried 1 on me n 1 in a bag for the vehicle n even back up for the back up.

Also don't get complincet arounds one home, Went out about 2 one night no light no cell just me n my truck keys n last ditch all others fail back up. stays in pocket 24 7
Never had any issiues around here except a breakin.. Just as I got to my truck out of the corner of my eye saw a guy trying to hide leaned up against my house. I am thankfull he turned an went away,after turning an walking toward me (have a retainng wall he was above it me in drive way) he stop finally at less less than 15 feet. I would have fired had he turned towards me an likely would have well before had I had my main EDC. guy ignored all commands to stop stay still don't move n I couldn't see his left hand.. and he ignored the 1st panic on key fob blast and thought a min on 2nd.
Thankfully didn't have to.
Lesson relearned Light Phone Gun Keys,,And Yes If I have To I Can n Will Pray That Day Never Comes.

Condition yellow 24-7 as best can.

nock

I don't leave my handgun in my truck, thats why I carry concealed. If they can't see it they will never know I was there with a gun. I don't give a rats hind end about the no guns allowed signs on the doors of stores.

JCDEERMAN

MUP":3per835m said:
I use a lock box that cable locks to the seat frame in my vehicles. When I'm traveling I keep the key in it for a turn and access capability. Take the key out when I'm out of the vehicle. Simple as that.

X2

Specializedjon

Very seldom do I NOT have my gun on me when I leave the house. I do have to disarm when I get to work....although....the sign clearly shows by way of the a black silhouette that only BERETTA 92's are not allowed (LOL)...I digress....

Practice, practice, practice....wearing the clothes you normally wear, sitting in your car or truck, seatbelt on...simulate getting gas and visualize someone approaching you yelling, visualize someone drawing down on you from behind....what are you gonna do? How fast are you at clearing your jacket, shirt, seatbelt and getting your pistol on the threat? Just like any "tool", your firearm is a peacekeeping tool. You owe it to your family to be good at using it IN ALL SITUATIONS, rain or shine. You won't have time to unlock it from a lockbox of any kind.

(Rant over)

As suggested by several others. If you're gonna carry....carry. If you KNOW you're gonna be somewhere where you can't carry, leave it in the car locked up or at home but you better have a solid "Plan B" in place if evil decides to visit, and it will when you're not expecting it to. My "Plan B" is my knife, that I carry everywhere, every day AND good situational awareness. SA is key to the whole shebang....if you get caught with your guard down, you're likely screwed whether you're carrying or not. The only time I go to the car and disarm is the rare occasion that I change my mind at dinner and decide to have a beer.

Sorry...that was longer than I was planning.

Let us know whatcha decided on.

mr.big

7mm08":3kgxj2v3 said:

amen

Latest posts