BlackEagle1":1d7lqgvy said:
10 more days........... slowest lottery ever
Slowly but surely, it's getting there.

246d790a87efb102f7b3875e65b70a60.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Buzzard Breath

I'm in.

96d8cdcac2c96411812e1b1071618bad.jpg

I'll be looking foward to this hunt. Camping, alone, under the stars in the desert. No cell service and no Internet for a week. It'll be just me, my bow, rattlesnakes, and hopefully a bunch of antelope.

Don't get me wrong, I love hunting with my buddies, and have several hunts planned with some of them. But, there's just something I enjoy about getting away from everyone for awhile.

UTgodevil23

Do you live in Wyoming? Just curious about the whole situation of having to have a resident or a guide to hunt public lands in Wyoming. Curious because I have been offered to hunt some private land out there for free but I would be on my own.

AT Hiker

Buzzard Breath":3llxyp36 said:
Don't get me wrong, I love hunting with my buddies, and have several hunts planned with some of them. But, there's just something I enjoy about getting away from everyone for awhile.

You also avoid any Brokeback Mountain jokes by going alone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AT Hiker

UTgodevil23":3247aaxw said:
Do you live in Wyoming? Just curious about the whole situation of having to have a resident or a guide to hunt public lands in Wyoming. Curious because I have been offered to hunt some private land out there for free but I would be on my own.

That ridiculous law is specific to designated "Wilderness Areas" only.

Congrats on scoring a free place to hunt. That's tough to come by.

Buzzard Breath

AT Hiker":1aaf0b93 said:
Buzzard Breath":1aaf0b93 said:

You also avoid any Brokeback Mountain jokes by going alone.

What happens in the desert stays in the desert.

Buzzard Breath

UTgodevil23":1ctwufun said:
No worries about private land or public land, in general. As AT pointed out, it only applies to "wilderness designations"

AT Hiker

UTgodevil23":1s0um10z said:
What the heck is the difference between public land and designated areas????
Yeah I know, I made a once in a lifetime contact that owns 22,000 acres of grasslands :)

"Designated wilderness areas" are areas within public lands (usually national forest) that have rules in place to keep it as wild as possible, these areas receive the highest level of federal land protection. Such rules are (with some exceptions) no motorized vehicles, no bicycles, horse/foot travel only, no timber harvest, no new mining or grazing, no development.

Look at the WY game and fish unit map, the wilderness areas are well marked with diagonal lines marking the entire area. The physical boundaries of them usually have well placed signs letting you know.

Here is a old WY elk unit boundary. The darker green areas with diagonal lines are wilderness. That's Yellowstone NP in the top left corner.
b7a5c4dbc838679f316533a61c69aee5.jpg

tn droptine

I got drawn for Dedicated Hunter out here in Utah. Guaranteed tags for archery, muzzleloader, and rifle for mule deer the next three years in a row. Only stipulation is I must complete so many service hours for DNR, and can only shoot two bucks total out of the three years. Already started scouting and hung a couple of trail cams. This guy was hanging around the area last year, this pic is from after deer season:

Attachments

• DFF88C3E-8E37-4CF2-A184-2A729D8AB996.jpeg
    DFF88C3E-8E37-4CF2-A184-2A729D8AB996.jpeg
    50.9 KB · Views: 2,617

BlackEagle1

And point creep strikes again....... fist time of drawing zero on the first round. I may have to crash the odds on a unit next year with points. Seems like I can pull anything but a buck antelope tag. I have gotten to punch 5 tags in Wyoming the last 2 seasons so I was due a bad pull.

That wilderness law is a total crock. It's for the guides and nothing else.

AT Hiker

I'm all in for Presidents Island, went ahead and put in for a elk hunt too. 12 points should put me in Dec hunt.

I just randomly picked a zone for archery. Last year everyone killed one so if I do get lucky in drawing a permit hopefully that kick will follow into the woods.

Jmed

After 3 seasons in row in MT and 4 tags punched (2 mulies, a whitetail, and an antelpoe). Im just buying my elk points this year. Should draw the archery tag for my unit in '20. Meanwhile, I am just adding to my points for elk and deer in WY, CO, and SD.

Be doing my usual Wester KY, Cumberland plateau, and a new property in OH. for this year. I know by the time season rolls around, I will be missing MT.

Latest posts