• Advertisement

Honda wheeler ?

Pretty much anything you want to talk about!

Honda wheeler ?

Postby THE DUKE » Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:30 pm

Looking at getting a Honda wheeler for all that has one with es have you had any trouble with the es shifter? Don't know whether to get es or foot shifter thks.
THE DUKE
8 Point

Advertisement

Re: Honda wheeler ?

Postby Urban_Hunter » Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:39 pm

I’ve bought and sold a bunch of them and I’ve only seen one that broke. When I pulled it down it had water in the crankcase, so I can only assume it had lived a tough life.
I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not sure
Urban_Hunter
10 Point

Postby Spurhunter » Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:49 pm

Never had a problem with my hand shifter but I don't see the point. I prefer foot shift but I bought my machine used.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Harvesting hens is not necessary. It cuts into the reproductive capacity of the population. I don't know why any state permits it. -Dr. Lovett Williams

Dead hens don't lay eggs, and therefore almost never produce any poults. -Spurhunter
Spurhunter
12 Point

Postby rem270 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:22 pm

I had an 02 Rancher that would always mess up when I rode in creeks. But the ES has came a long ways since then. I just sold an 09 ES/auto and the new wheeler is a manual. I do miss the ES but did find out this weekend while riding with a coke in hand that the manual comes in handy.
Everyone should give Jesus a try once. If you don't like it Satan will always take you back.
rem270
Non-Typical

Postby TNTreeman » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:52 pm

Got a 2000 foreman Es . Never had problems. Occasionally gets in between gears and you have to rock it some. Been a good one
TNTreeman
6 Point

Postby biglefty20 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:41 pm

I had a 06 rancher that I bought new. The es went out on it after a couple years and it wasn’t cheap

They are nice to ride but not sure if I would get another

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
biglefty20
12 Point

Postby megalomaniac » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:48 pm

07 rancher.... never a problem with the ES.... 2 other Hondas with manual shift. No problems with either of them unless I'm in my 1000g thinsulate rubber boots

Sent from my SCH-R970X using Tapatalk
megalomaniac
12 Point

Postby prstide » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:46 pm

I have a 2000 Foreman ES and a 95 Fourtrax 300 that of course is manual. I will say for peace of mind, if I could only pick one I’d get the manual shift.
I had an issue with my ES last duck season where the shifter motor froze up and I was a long way from my truck. It was brutally cold outside and had gotten dark on me and the bike wouldn’t do anything but start and idle, no clicking at the shifter motor when I was pushing the buttons like it was trying to shift...nada! Bought it used and didn’t have the hand shifter in the storage box but thankfully I had a pair of vice grips in one of my bags and was able to pop the hand shift spline into gear to get back but it took me a while. I think majority of any problems with the ES stem from the battery being weak. I put a new battery in it and haven’t had any issues since but I also haven’t had it out in any temps 20°or lower this year either.
prstide
6 Point

Postby ROUGH COUNTRY HUNTER » Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:41 am

I got a 2012 and never had a problem, but I will admit I like the foot shifter alot better
ROUGH COUNTRY HUNTER
18 Point

Postby rtaylor » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:21 am

I've had 3 Ranchers all with ES and haven't had a problem. It is really nice if you have to ride in deeper mud or water and you can pick your feet up and shift with your hands.
rtaylor
4 Point

Postby rstodd » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:28 am

Foot shift you can roll start it. If the battery goes dead you cannot shift after manual pull starting.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
rstodd
4 Point

Postby BranchWater » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:56 am

Have a 01 Rancher ES and have never had a minutes trouble out of it and its used daily.
BranchWater
6 Point

Postby TN Song Dog » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:09 am

rstodd wrote:Foot shift you can roll start it. If the battery goes dead you cannot shift after manual pull starting.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
My 02 Rancher ES had a small emergency manual shifter in the tool kit. If battery went dead or if electric shift quit working, you could attach it to the trans and shift it by hand or foot.

Never had to use it though. ES never gave any problems.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
TN Song Dog
8 Point

Postby infoman jr. » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:27 am

I have an '08 Rancher 420 ES that I bought new. The only trouble I have with the ES is when I first start it, sometimes it takes a couple tries to get it to shift into 2nd. After a minute or so of driving, it's fine. I really like it.
infoman jr.
14 Point

Postby BlackBelt » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:44 pm

I have a 1999 foreman 450es.
I do have shifting problems about half the time. I push the button shifter on the handlebar and it doesn't do anything. I should take it to get it fixed but haven't since I only use it to retrieve deer.

My "work-around" fix was that there is a company online (at hondaesshifter dot com) that sells a hand shifter bar that runs down to the transmission shifter screw and attaches to it very securely. The shifter bar comes up to hand level so it's easy to shift manually. They also sell a foot shifter bar. Either the hand or foot shifter seems a little pricey at 50 bucks, but before I got it I've been stuck in the woods with my atv not shifting or moving and had to chainsaw a path 1/2 mile to it so I could get my truck back to it. After doing that a couple of times that 50 bucks didn't seem like as much as it did before I had shifting problems.

If I was going to do serious mudding it probably wouldn't be an ideal fix, but for just riding a mile or two through the woods it works fine.
BlackBelt
10 Point

Postby lung-buster » Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:31 pm

I had a foreman and a rancher that both acted up on occasion. I bought a new foreman in 2015 with a foot shift.
lung-buster
10 Point

Postby Wildcat » Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:36 pm

I have a 04 Foreman ES. Never once did I have a problem. I also have the foot shift but have never used it except to make sure it works. If anything ever pops up on the ES I will have it fixed ASSP, no reason to run with any part going bad and be caught out there.
When a United States Congressman gets up and walks out of the House when the American people in the House Gallery chats USA, USA, then you know who hates America.
Wildcat
Non-Typical

Postby JeepKuntry » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:45 pm

Had 2 Ranchers that were ES. No problems. Just my opinion, but consider Yamaha. Most of the Yamaha's are fuel injected, a true 4wd, and most models have IRS.
JeepKuntry
16 Point

Postby BigAl » Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:59 pm

JeepKuntry wrote:Had 2 Ranchers that were ES. No problems. Just my opinion, but consider Yamaha. Most of the Yamaha's are fuel injected, a true 4wd, and most models have IRS.

Funny, I'm looking around for another 4 wheeler myself. I currently have a Yamaha and was thinking of switching to a Honda. Didn't realize the ES models had issues. Also having trouble deciding on IRS vs straight axle.
We do not sell, rent, or wrestle pigs.
BigAl
16 Point

Postby cbhunter » Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:16 pm

BigAl wrote:
JeepKuntry wrote:Had 2 Ranchers that were ES. No problems. Just my opinion, but consider Yamaha. Most of the Yamaha's are fuel injected, a true 4wd, and most models have IRS.

Funny, I'm looking around for another 4 wheeler myself. I currently have a Yamaha and was thinking of switching to a Honda. Didn't realize the ES models had issues. Also having trouble deciding on IRS vs straight axle.

IRS is a no brainer in my opinion. Some Hondas have it but many of them don't.
cbhunter
12 Point

Next

Return to TnDeer General Forum