• Advertisement

Clearing Old Pasture Land

Quality deer management thoughts. The first QDM forum on the internet Est. 1999

Clearing Old Pasture Land

Postby wjohnson1983 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:02 am

So before I take off on an endeavor to improve habitat, I want to make sure I am doing the correct thing.

I bought 26 acres 13 years ago that was about 80% pasture land from previous cattle farm. I lived out of state for a while, and just let it get out of control and grow. It's now a tangled mess of briars, cedars, privet, bodark, and honey locust. Initial thoughts would be that this thick nasty stuff would be bedding sanctuary. I think it's too thick for anything to want to use it though.

My thought right now is to start reclaiming this overgrowth. Basically bring everything down except maybe some spaced cedars and mast producing hardwoods that I find, spray the privet/honey locust to kill it, and manage for seasonal grasses.

Link I found on privet removal:

https://sites.aces.edu/group/forestry/b ... 56f6e520b6
wjohnson1983
4 Point

Advertisement

Re: Clearing Old Pasture Land

Postby LY » Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:44 pm

Sounds good depending what your goals are.

Something else to consider is to leave some sections of it 'as is' in strategic areas as a border fence. An example would be along any road frontage or people access from other properties. Not only would it aid in keeping them out but it'd also help with spot lighting and/or seeing something that may challenge their ethics or lack thereof.
LY
6 Point

Postby wjohnson1983 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:11 pm

Goal would still be sanctuary/bedding cover. Just from what I’ve seen lately is the deer would more likely use the tall grasses for cover because they can move more freely through it, but still dense enough for them to feel safe.
wjohnson1983
4 Point

Postby LY » Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:24 pm

You can clear the interior now. Let it grow back for them to use, then rotate the mowing to different parts of it as needed so you'll always have the grass cover but it'll never get back to what you have now.
LY
6 Point

Postby rem270 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:12 pm

LY wrote:You can clear the interior now. Let it grow back for them to use, then rotate the mowing to different parts of it as needed so you'll always have the grass cover but it'll never get back to what you have now.

This is what I do on parts of my farm. Works great!

Sounds like you have a great place. Good luck.
Everyone should give Jesus a try once. If you don't like it Satan will always take you back.
rem270
Non-Typical

Postby Smo » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:39 pm

I like to cut trails through the thickets, make them go where you want them too.

If you lay things out right , you’ll have thick bedding cover and the deer will use your trails leading right in front of your stand location!

How you will access the area, prominent wind direction and such things need too be considered as well.

Those Locust thorns are rough on tractor tires!
Smo
8 Point

Postby Whitetaillane8 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:47 pm

Hire you a forestry mulcher to remove what you need removed instead trying to bushhog it.
Whitetaillane8
4 Point

Postby double browtine » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:20 pm

Whitetaillane8 wrote:Hire you a forestry mulcher to remove what you need removed instead trying to bushhog it.

Do this^^°^^

Get an aerial map and come up with a plan on where you want to have food plots and have access to them. Remember they need to be laid out where they get the best sunlight. Also I would plant at least two for different predominant fall wind directions, for stand locations, and also for annual and perennial plots.
double browtine
12 Point

Postby Andy S. » Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:24 am

double browtine wrote:
Whitetaillane8 wrote:Hire you a forestry mulcher to remove what you need removed instead trying to bushhog it.

Do this^^°^^

Get an aerial map and come up with a plan on where you want to have food plots and have access to them. Remember they need to be laid out where they get the best sunlight. Also I would plant at least two for different predominant fall wind directions, for stand locations, and also for annual and perennial plots.
Sage advice.
Andy S.

If I had saved all the money I spent on hunting, I'd spend it on hunting.
Andy S.
16 Point

Postby diamond hunter » Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:36 pm

Is the place full of deer?
diamond hunter
8 Point

Return to Quality Deer Management