• Advertisement

Osb board

Do it yourself projects and how to's...

Osb board

Postby southernhunter » Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:29 am

I am wanting to put a few shooting houses on some property I don’t own. I want to do them as cost effectively as possible.

Size will have to be 4x4 , my question is: has anyone had luck with painted 7/16 osb board holding up as exterior siding?

I know it isn’t rated for exterior use. The cheapest exterior siding I have found is $23 and it has to be painted , treated plywood is about $30 a sheet.
Baptized in Jesus name !
southernhunter
10 Point

Advertisement

Re: Osb board

Postby GOHUNT » Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:55 pm

I have an OSB 4’x4’ shooting house that I bought from a couple of young guys who built it and never got it set up. I painted it pretty heavy with brown exterior paint then random Camo striping. I added a layer of tin roofing that overhangs about 10”-12” all the way around. In my opinion, this roofing overhang will really increase the life of the OSB by keeping a high percentage of the weather off the sides. Just my $0.02 worth.

A word to the wise...a 4’-6’ shooting house is sooooo much more comfortable than a 4’x4’. I can hunt with a kid pretty easily in my 4’x6’ houses. But I can deal with my 4’x4’ as needed.
GOHUNT
8 Point

Postby southernhunter » Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:33 pm

I was noticing a shooting house a guy built on our lease today. It’s osb with camo wrap. I know it’s been there for a couple years seems to be fine. I’d like to built 5x5 but due to materials 4x4 works best.
Baptized in Jesus name !
southernhunter
10 Point

Postby double browtine » Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:16 am

Painting both sides of the OSB with exterior paint will help it last a long time. If you trim out around the corners and windows of the blind with some treated furring strips, it will last along time. I walk by the marked down paint at Lowe's and home depot, each time I'm in the stores. Sometimes you can buy a mis-tint exterior paint for like $5-10 a gallon. Color doesn't matter. You can just use spray paint to camo it or paint some squiggly lines on it to camo it.

Also look at T1-11 siding or ask for a discount on damaged board's. Store manager will sometimes cut you a deal if you ask.
double browtine
12 Point

Postby gtk » Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:23 am

keep it painted and caulked, and it will last a long time.. And like said above, putting a roof on it will extend it's life even more..

i put a fresh coat of paint on it every few years and it's good to go.
gtk
10 Point

Postby foodplot » Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:47 pm

My shooting houses have held up great..... just keep it painted
foodplot
4 Point

Postby Big Pop » Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:11 pm

GOHUNT wrote:I have an OSB 4’x4’ shooting house that I bought from a couple of young guys who built it and never got it set up. I painted it pretty heavy with brown exterior paint then random Camo striping. I added a layer of tin roofing that overhangs about 10”-12” all the way around. In my opinion, this roofing overhang will really increase the life of the OSB by keeping a high percentage of the weather off the sides. Just my $0.02 worth.

A word to the wise...a 4’-6’ shooting house is sooooo much more comfortable than a 4’x4’. I can hunt with a kid pretty easily in my 4’x6’ houses. But I can deal with my 4’x4’ as needed.

I believe the 12inch ovehang on roof all the way around is probably best insurance again OSB breaking down. Of course good paint as well as corner protection is also critical. I built a 5' x 6' with OSB seven years ago that has held up well.
Big Pop
8 Point

Postby Omega » Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:18 pm

My osb deer stand lasted over 5 years before it fell over. I bought some mistinted outdoor paint from Lowe's and it held out great with no touch ups. The 4x4 in the ground were the downfall, even in cement they rotted on me. I rebuilt it with plywood this time and really sealed up the bases of the 4x6 legs.
"Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
~Pericles~
Omega
6 Point

Postby CATCHDAWG » Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:56 am

Go visit your local line-x shop or junkyard. Old bed liners are cheap and will last forever.
Instagram:plantationoutdoors
CATCHDAWG
12 Point

Postby southernhunter » Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:39 pm

CATCHDAWG wrote:Go visit your local line-x shop or junkyard. Old bed liners are cheap and will last forever.

I seen this done and looked really nice
Baptized in Jesus name !
southernhunter
10 Point

Postby Knothead » Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:32 pm

southernhunter wrote:
CATCHDAWG wrote:Go visit your local line-x shop or junkyard. Old bed liners are cheap and will last forever.

I seen this done and looked really nice

Yep, that’s what we use on our lease. Never have to re-paint and they ain’t gonna rot! Ever. (Well, not in my lifetime).

25BFD46D-C893-4674-98FB-629DB0F83CD0.jpeg
25BFD46D-C893-4674-98FB-629DB0F83CD0.jpeg (128.88 KiB) Viewed 1459 times
Knothead
12 Point

Postby Nsghunter » Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:11 am

OSb will last for a few years, I’m going to guess 3-5 years. If you paint it with exterior paint, then roof it, seal the corners with discounted exterior wood, like SCN said, then keep it off the ground. Environmental moisture will cause you as many problems as anything, if it’s against the ground or trees or bushes that moisture will be hard to compete with. Also bushes and trees will rub against it damaging the coating and hold moisture on it. That might make it last less time. It will work and be fun. Also, osb has a Slick and rough side, our slick side out too, like facing the exterior. That’s that we do on homes.

I think it would be better to use the treated exterior siding or Marie grade board but heck both will work to kill deer.

Also, any chance you could make the osb removeable?
Nsghunter
8 Point

Postby buckaroo » Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:56 am

Omega wrote:My osb deer stand lasted over 5 years before it fell over. I bought some mistinted outdoor paint from Lowe's and it held out great with no touch ups. The 4x4 in the ground were the downfall, even in cement they rotted on me. I rebuilt it with plywood this time and really sealed up the bases of the 4x6 legs.

The cement is actually what rotted post, better to tamp them in with gravel or block on bottom
buckaroo
10 Point

Postby Omega » Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:49 am

buckaroo wrote:
Omega wrote:My osb deer stand lasted over 5 years before it fell over. I bought some mistinted outdoor paint from Lowe's and it held out great with no touch ups. The 4x4 in the ground were the downfall, even in cement they rotted on me. I rebuilt it with plywood this time and really sealed up the bases of the 4x6 legs.

The cement is actually what rotted post, better to tamp them in with gravel or block on bottom

I hope not, I reset them in cement but this time went about 10-12" above the dirt. I placed a bunch of medium sized rocks in the bottom for drainage, so hope that is enough. And this time I built it so I can lift the structure off in one piece, just in case.
"Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
~Pericles~
Omega
6 Point

Return to Do It Yourself / Tips & Tricks