Food Plots What to plant

cecil30-30

I've got a small field that wraps around my house, I'd like to take a corner of it and plant it in something that will give the deer something green to eat in the winter months. I'm assuming that it will be some sort of wheat or rye grass. I am not sure which or what. I bought some throw n grow from walmart last year that was on clearance, it's mostly rye. Any suggestions on what will give me some green in the winter? Also the soil is pretty poor quality, I do have a tractor with a 5 ft tiller, also when should I plant it?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

spoon

Wouldn't plant rye grass. Wheat or Oats are good choices but with small plot up against the woods would get drown out by leaves

RobDooley

Mid to late September. I have used Whitetail Institute and Biologic seeds for years. For this area (Tennessee) the recommended planting dates are up to the last of September. Due to the hot Septembers we have with minimal rainfall (this year was maybe an exception) I wait until late September. I had really good luck with food plot this year. The deer hammered it. Additionally, Whitetail Institute actually responds to emails and believe it or not...they answer the phone. Exceptional customer service. I'm not an employee. I simply know what work for me. Soil test!

Latest posts