More Proof

wobblegobble

Many on this site argue with the guys in my area about when our rut takes place...In our area the first one starts in mid December and the last one on the juvy weekend...We are on the Alabama border and Have plenty of bucks to breed our Does. Most in our area are only shooting one deer and the last 5 years we have been e had 150-182 inch deer killed in our town...but these does are proof our rut starts late...One pix of a new born the other pregnant.

Attachments

• IMG_20180812_143714.jpg
    IMG_20180812_143714.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 2,425
  • IMG_20180812_144616.jpg
    IMG_20180812_144616.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 2,160

Andy S.

Great photo, thanks for sharing.

That doe was likely bred around New Years Day, nothing overly alarming about that. It happens "occasionally" all across the state, especially with fawns who come in a little later.

Snake

Was showed a video once of a buck breeding a doe on our plant's property the last of March and yes the buck's antlers was gone kinda looked weird :? Has anyone any proof that if a doe don't get bred that she keeps on coming in heat (28 days?) until she takes ? I think they will continue to come in .

wobblegobble

All of our fawns show up at this time of the year, I tried to post pictures of pregnant does from this week but this site is tough to post pic. We have several pregnant does right now

Andy S.

Snake":ratr2mb4 said:
Has anyone any proof that if a doe don't get bred that she keeps on coming in heat (28 days?) until she takes ? I think they will continue to come in .
Most free range wild does come in heat only a few times, but some pen raised deer have been documented to recycle six to seven times.

oldmanelrod

2-Step Enabled
I do lots of hunting in SE Giles County right off exit 14 on I-65 and the primary rut usually kicks in good around the first week in December. That said 25 miles South in Elkmont, AL where I live the primary rut gets going between the 2nd and 3rd week of Dec. We usually start seeing our fawns in Elkmont around the 4th of July. By contrast I also hunt right on the Moore County/Lincoln County line. There the primary seems to be the 3rd to 4th weeks of November each year and fawns start shouting up In June each year. Depending on where I am in the areas I hunt in TN and AL ( It is only a the 50 miles East to West and 30 miles North to South area) there Is a months difference in the start of the primary rut.

wobblegobble

oldmanelrod":3b13u94n said:
I do lots of hunting in SE Giles County right off exit 14 on I-65 and the primary rut usually kicks in good around the first week in December. That said 25 miles South in Elkmont, AL where I live the primary rut gets going between the 2nd and 3rd week of Dec. We usually start seeing our fawns in Elkmont around the 4th of July. By contrast I also hunt right on the Moore County/Lincoln County line. There the primary seems to be the 3rd to 4th weeks of November each year and fawns start shouting up In June each year. Depending on where I am in the areas I hunt in TN and AL ( It is only a the 50 miles East to West and 30 miles North to South area) there Is a months difference in the start of the primary rut.

Exactly! And most people want to tell others that their rut is the same time everywhere....just not true.

Mike Belt

It puzzles me why the rut really gets under way at different times on different properties when they may be virtually next door. On the land I used to lease in Hardeman County the rut started about 1 week after it did on another parcel of land I know of only 5 miles away there. This happened yearly and the only answer I can come up with is that possibly a genetics difference????

MUP

The hard chasing is usually the first couple weeks of Nov where I hunt, with the secondary rut coming back in the first couple of weeks of Dec. I have seen a buck dogging a doe during the first week of Feb close by my house even. Iirc, does continue to come into estrous until they are bred. At least I remember it being said here before I do believe, by a deer biologist. Of course I could be wrong, wouldn't be the first time. :)

EastTNHunter

2-Step Enabled
I saw a fawn in full spots during ML season about 2 years ago in Hamilton County. I've heard that does are likely bred in every month of the year, although most do get bred in the primary or second rut...

Latest posts