• Advertisement

Backcountry Hunt

Serious Deer Hunting Talk Only!

Backcountry Hunt

Postby Panther Bone » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:40 pm

Looking to do a backcountry hunt this year during muzzleloader or rifle season. I’ve got all the gear from western hunting and want to just get away for a few days deer hunting here at home.

I’ve lost my private land due to a death, so I’m looking at either Tellico mountains or Cumberland area.

Anybody got any advice, I’d appreciate it.

Also, I can trade guided fly fishing for good help. My family has a place above Gatlinburg too, if somebody was kind to me...I’d repay it.

Peace
Panther Bone
Button

Advertisement

Re: Backcountry Hunt

Postby MickThompson » Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:08 pm

North end of the plateau got hit pretty hard with EHD last year so factor that in if finding deer is important.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MickThompson
8 Point

Postby PickettSFHunter » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:33 am

MickThompson wrote:North end of the plateau got hit pretty hard with EHD last year so factor that in if finding deer is important.

Yep. I literally have more bears than deer this year. Checked 3 cameras yesterday and had bears only on two of them. Handful of deer on another.

PickettSFHunter
16 Point

Postby big ridge hunter » Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:12 pm

Do you know anything about tellico? Just asking as I hunt there every year as I have no other places to hunt.
big ridge hunter
Button

Postby Stretcher_Jockey » Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:05 pm

I've been throwing around the idea of a bear hunt on South Cherokee the end of November, first of December. Have deer hunted the area before and saw plenty of bear sign. Harvesting without dogs is definitely a tall task but that's just an awesome area to get out and explore imo.
"A thing is right when it tends to preserve the integrity, stability and beauty of the biotic community. It is wrong when it tends otherwise"

-Aldo Leopold

Proud Public Land Owner
Stretcher_Jockey
Spike

Return to Serious Deer Hunting Talk