• Advertisement

Perseid Meteor Shower 2018

Pretty much anything you want to talk about!

Perseid Meteor Shower 2018

Postby Crappie Luck » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:27 pm

According to NASA meteor expert Bill Cooke, the Perseids are perhaps the most popular meteor shower of the year; and in 2018, they'll be the best shower of the year. During the Perseids' peak this weekend, spectators should see about 60-70 meteors per hour, but in outburst years (such as in 2016) the rate can be between 150-200 meteors an hour. The meteor shower's peak will be visible both the nights of Aug. 11-12 and Aug. 12-13, Cooke said, but he's inclined this year to lean toward the night of Aug. 12-13 for the better show. (Both, however, should be spectacular.)

https://www.space.com/32868-perseid-met ... guide.html
“Posterity! You will never know how much it cost the present Generation to preserve your Freedom! I hope you will make good use of it. If you do not, I shall repent in Heaven, that I ever took half the Pains to preserve it.”- – John Adams
Crappie Luck
Non-Typical

Advertisement

Re: Perseid Meteor Shower 2018

Postby EastTNHunter » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:31 pm

Watched it last night with the family, and my daughter and I are out here sky gazing now. Won’t keep her up too late
EastTNHunter
10 Point

Postby TRIGGER » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:34 pm

We fished a night tournament last night and saw some of the show after the clouds moved out.
TRIGGER
12 Point

Postby FLTENNHUNTER1 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:11 pm

Saw 5 or 6 good ones tonight around 11
Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel.
$21 Trillion National Debt: http://usdebtclock.org/
FLTENNHUNTER1
16 Point

Postby Nimrod777 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:56 am

Those stats are crazy off the mark, but they post them every year regardless. I did find one article last night that stated that the Memphis area would likely see 30-35 per hour, which turned out to be highly accurate where I took our crew up in White Mills, KY. The moon was barely visible at this point in its cycle, but even at that, it set before 9 PM, making viewing conditions excellent. I set an alarm for 1:30 AM, avoided all lights and electronics, and slung up in a hammock for 2.5 hours, including one brief snack break. Saw 65 confirmed. I was counting each as they happened just so the folks with me would get a sense of what they might be missing, but eventually all I heard back were snores and deep breathing. The meteor rate wasn't as good as 2 years ago, but simply having the conditions come out so well despite the long-forecast threat of rain and clouds was a win in itself.

And ANY night you can see 65 falling stars is a gift! My God is a legendary producer of entertainment!
You can always take a shot, but you can never take it back. Be careful how you hunt... more careful how you live.
Nimrod777
Non-Typical

Return to TnDeer General Forum