• Advertisement

Just lost my spot

Pretty much anything you want to talk about!

Just lost my spot

Postby winchester77jj » Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:24 am

This close to season and I just found out the landowner I have been working with for over a decade just sold the property. I haven’t been able to talk to him personally but I think I just lost my best and almost only local hunting that’s not public land. So anybody in the franklin county area got any private land that they know of I sure would appreciate some charity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
winchester77jj
4 Point

Advertisement

Re: Just lost my spot

Postby Pic IN the Casa » Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:07 pm

Sucks. I lost a spot in a similar manner last year
When people get used to preferential treatment, equal treatment seems like discrimination. Thomas Sowell
Pic IN the Casa
16 Point

Postby EastTNHunter » Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:29 pm

All that I have to hunt is public land, except for one small 15 acre parcel of private land. I hate it for you, and unfortunately can’t offer any assistance, but be thankful for the time that you had.
EastTNHunter
10 Point

Postby Snake » Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:01 pm

Join the club lost a prime spot in Giles I'd had since '92 . Hate it for you oh forgot lost an awesome spot in Lincoln as well .
Snake
Non-Typical

Postby jlanecr500 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:05 pm

I thought I'd lost one after last season but the heirs are having issues getting together on the sale. Looks like I'll get to hunt it another year.
jlanecr500
8 Point

Postby Rackseeker » Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:16 pm

Several thousand acres of some of the best hunting in TN right here in Franklin County. Just put your hiking boots on and get in there.
Rackseeker
12 Point

Postby Deer Assassin » Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:28 pm

hate to hear it
If you can't hang 'em on the wall
Hang 'em in your teeth
Deer Assassin
Non-Typical

Postby TNReb » Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:34 pm

I lost my Wilson County spot that I've hunted the last 5 years. Got in to an argument with the owner over a golf tournament!! (I handled it as nicely as I could, but people generally don't take it well when you call them out for cheating, even if you're right and prove it)

My hunting will be limited to my parents place in Henry County this year, which means I'll hunt waaayyyyyy less than I'm used to.
(formerly known as Nyper)
TNReb
16 Point

Postby eightpointer » Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:06 pm

Had a 95 acre and 16 acre farm owned by the same man in Lincoln County we hunted for years. He lived in HUntsville and sometimes hed meet us there. Thought everything was fine. Id give him money and offer anything I could. Then about a month before the next season started I saw an ad on Craigslist for Lincoln Co day hunting. $250 a day per person. No more than 2 at a time. Must stay in spot and not move around. A non hunter can come and sit with hunter for $100. I called him and asked about his ad and he said yep its mine. And Ive got all days booked til Christmas. I said well ok. Take care. Did some searching and got a couple pices of land leased for me and my Son. Unit L..Smith and Macon. Stuff can be found. It just takes a lot of searching. Good luck.
eightpointer
16 Point

Postby losthunter » Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:02 pm

Same here, lost mine due to land sale. Oh well, I really enjoy the public lands anyway.
losthunter
4 Point

Postby Hunter 257W » Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:14 pm

The ONLY way to guarantee a place to hunt is to buy the land yourself. I got tired of always having to beg permission myself and bought more land with woods now I have a place for myself and family for life. It's very frustrating to lose a place you've always hunted - I know and feel for those going through that.
Hunter 257W
14 Point

Postby GUNNERX2 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:22 pm

Lost a duck hunting spot last year, been hunting it for over 10 years. The landowner's grandson decided he'd take up duck hunting and had gramps give me the boot. The landowner was obviously upset about it and I thought he was going to break down and bawl when he told me.

No matter where you go, there you are
GUNNERX2
4 Point

Postby Mid-Tenn » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:41 pm

I lost access to a place that I had hunted for the past 20+ years.

Same song,
Landowner passed away, immediate family all live out of town and have no interest in managing and upkeep on the land.
All the timber is being cut off the place and once that's finished the land will be listed and sold.

Even though I didn't get to hunt it in the last few years as much as I would have liked it was still nice knowing the option was there.
I knew it was coming which is why I suppose I put in for as many public land quota WMA and NWR hunts this year.
Mid-Tenn
4 Point

Postby poorhunter » Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:54 am

Before leasing became the norm, finding land to hunt was a lot easier. I am very fortunate to have friends that own land and don’t hunt. That being said, I’m teaching their kids to hunt so I may loose some of those farms later, but itd be worth it to me.
poorhunter
10 Point

Postby MUP » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:58 am

Hunter 257W wrote:The ONLY way to guarantee a place to hunt is to buy the land yourself. I got tired of always having to beg permission myself and bought more land with woods now I have a place for myself and family for life. It's very frustrating to lose a place you've always hunted - I know and feel for those going through that.

I agree, but even then I still have to deal with trespassers and poachers, but at least I am free to handle the issues as I see fit wo having to ask someone else. ;)
Image "Amateurs" built the Ark.

"Professionals" built the Titanic.
MUP
Non-Typical

Return to TnDeer General Forum