• Advertisement

Pit bull...........again

Pretty much anything you want to talk about!

Re: Pit bull...........again

Postby Urban_Hunter » Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:34 pm

Andy S. wrote:URBAN Hunter - with emphasis on URBAN - yes I own a TV/Radio, but I have better things to do than sit in front of them all day. And for the record, I’d say myself and 99% of other members choose to listen to different tunes/lyrics than those you referenced. All of this might explain the disconnect between your viewpoints and ours. Just food for thought.

You’re missing the point. Did you miss the part about living on a farm? My SN comes from hunting urban areas which I no longer have access to, and the argument is about what something is “known” for. One doesn’t have to be a music connoisseur to know what is included in music or on television. If it makes you feel better, we haven’t had cable tv for 6 years. Our disconnect in viewpoints is that you think a firearm can be controlled by its owner but a dog can’t.
I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not sure
Urban_Hunter
10 Point

Advertisement

Postby Urban_Hunter » Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:45 pm

chris1976 wrote:Bet that chihuahua attack was traumatic. How many staples did you require? Am I oblivious? Someone in this post is but I can’t claim it. Just because your pit hasn’t maimed one of your children YET is beside the point. They are vilified because they earned every dayum ounce of it. No other reason. Cmon man!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nah, the rat dog wasnt bad... only requiring 17 stitches to my buddy’s nose and lip. The chow (non pit bull) attack did require multiple surgeries, in case you skipped over that part. So you’re saying they are vilified? An aggressive dog has no business breathing the same air as me, regardless of breed.
Urban_Hunter
10 Point

Postby TheLBLman » Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:48 pm

I don't know much about the rap music lyrics
but do know if a pit attacks you,
you are more likely to die
than if a beagle attacks you.
TheLBLman
18 Point

Postby Buzzard Breath » Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:59 pm

RUGER wrote:Absolutely horrible. :(
I can't even imagine what the family of that child is gonig through.

In before:
1) Don't blame the breed.
2) It wasn't a pit, it was mis-identified
3) Chihuahua's bite more people than pits.
4) It's the way it was raised.

Well........ That actually took a lot longer than I expected. But, it did happen.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Buzzard Breath
10 Point

Postby chunkandwind » Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:06 pm

A friend of mine used to train metro’s k9’s. His personal protection dogs were American Staffordshire‘s. He told me the thing with them is there bloodlines. If the dog has fighters in their family tree it takes many generations to breed that temperament out. It’s too bad everyone that owns one doesn’t get them from the right breeder. To say they are all bad is wrong, imo.
chunkandwind
10 Point

Postby stringtalker » Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:09 pm

I've owned 4 bit bulls. IT IS HOW YOU RAISE THEM!!!! None of mine in any way was aggresive. If you have any pup, any breed, and you wrestle around with it or shack a towel or rag at it to get it to grab at it and pull on it you are creating a potential monster. Pit bulls have a bad temper. The owner can make it worse when they are a pup!!!
stringtalker
8 Point

Postby Big Ben » Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:33 pm

Have a neighbor who had or has one of those American Staffordshire‘s. Meanest dog I have ever ran across. I was warned by the owner never make eye contact with him he don't like that. Ran into the owner with his dog in his truck at the mailboxes one day, trying to talk with the owner looked at the dog and dog goes nuts. I thought it was going to break his truck window trying to get to me.
Big Ben
12 Point

Postby Andy S. » Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:59 pm

Urban_Hunter wrote: Our disconnect in viewpoints is that you think a firearm can be controlled by its owner but a dog can’t.
Totally not the case, I believe SOME dogs can be controlled by owners, unfortunately SO MANY dog owners choose to NOT control their dogs for numerous reasons, and continually put them in risky situations (pit bull alone with a toddler, etc), and in the end, innocent people, and a lot of times kids, become the victims, with some paying the ultimate price. Due to the overwhelming number of people who cannot or choose not to control their dogs is why I have such disdain for pits, other aggressive attacking breeds AND their irresponsible owners. Does that clear up my point of view? I don't think I can be much clearer. At the end of the day, if a dog (any breed) attacks, harms, and/or kills a innocent human being, I think the owner should pay the ultimate price. I can promise the owner would not want me on the jury.
Andy S.

If I had saved all the money I spent on hunting, I'd spend it on hunting.
Andy S.
16 Point

Postby Andy S. » Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:02 pm

TheLBLman wrote:I don't know much about the rap music lyrics
but do know if a pit attacks you,
you are more likely to die
than if a beagle attacks you.
No way LBLman, just let the gangstas start rapping about the beagles and the media will vilify them and their bite and number of kills will increase 2,000% overnight. The Beagle breed won't have a prayer if they ever make it in a Lil Wayne video. That is what I have learned from this thread.
Andy S.

Andy S.
16 Point

Postby Urban_Hunter » Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:34 pm

I find it interesting that you agree the problem is the owners and not the dog, but because the dogs can become violent as a direct result of the owners that you blame the dog.... yet fail to see the relation to gun control. You have very limited or zero first hand experience with the dog yourself, know only what you’ve “heard”, it scares you, so you want something to be done about it? What do you propose? Serious question. Think they should be banned? Under what premise? They are more dangerous in the hands of idiots than other breeds... in no relation to extended magazines, semi-automatic rifles, etc?
Urban_Hunter
10 Point

Postby Kimber45 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:46 am

stringtalker wrote:I've owned 4 bit bulls. IT IS HOW YOU RAISE THEM!!!! None of mine in any way was aggresive. If you have any pup, any breed, and you wrestle around with it or shack a towel or rag at it to get it to grab at it and pull on it you are creating a potential monster. Pit bulls have a bad temper. The owner can make it worse when they are a pup!!!

Many documented cases say your theory is wrong. WAY too many folks have been savagely attacked by loving family pit-pets raised from pups.
Kimber45
Non-Typical

Postby Andy S. » Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:45 am

Kimber45 wrote:WAY too many folks have been savagely attacked by loving family pit-pets raised from pups.
This is my point exactly. The one case I’m personally familiar with and the other 2-3 cases that happened in my neck of the woods over the years were Pit Bulls that were loved for, cared for, groomed, kept inside in the A/C, not trained to be killers. Then there was that one instance where SOMETHING set them off, than NO ONE can explain, and an innocent bystander pays the price of being savagely mauled and in emergency surgery for hours.

I’ve been around enough of them in the past (when I was younger and without kids) that my opinion is they are the most unpredictable vicious dog that I’ve been exposed to, by far, and they are too risky for me to be around now with kids and family. Period, end of story.
Last edited by Andy S. on Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Andy S.

Andy S.
16 Point

Postby poorhunter » Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:46 am

Kimber45 wrote:
stringtalker wrote:I've owned 4 bit bulls. IT IS HOW YOU RAISE THEM!!!! None of mine in any way was aggresive. If you have any pup, any breed, and you wrestle around with it or shack a towel or rag at it to get it to grab at it and pull on it you are creating a potential monster. Pit bulls have a bad temper. The owner can make it worse when they are a pup!!!

Many documented cases say your theory is wrong. WAY too many folks have been savagely attacked by loving family pit-pets raised from pups.

This is true of all breeds...the difference is that the damage pit bulls cause is so much worse than other breeds. That and a lot of other breeds that are “raised wrong” don’t attack their families or other people. Add in their genetic design for fighting, their temperament when fighting, the “pit bull culture” of tough guy white trash look at my big bad dog, and that these tough guys breed and sell their dogs. I see it OFTEN as a mailman who has to walk up to people’s doors all day long.

Stringtalker and others, I am certain that you raise your dogs just fine and you know what you’re doing. I just truly hope it’s not your children we read about next week.
poorhunter
8 Point

Postby Andy S. » Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:21 am

Urban_Hunter wrote:I find it interesting that you agree the problem is the owners and not the dog.....
In my opinion, the problem is some owners and some of the dogs, but ENOUGH of each to sway me to never be around either, an unpredictable breed of dog that can inflict deadly harm in a matter of minutes, and owners who claim "my little sweet dog would never do that, and I will forever fail to see the irreversible consequences that can happen any minute".

Urban_Hunter wrote:..... because the dogs can become violent as a direct result of the owners that you blame the dog
I think it is humorous you and other owners even ATTEMPT to put every unexpected attack on an innocent bystander in the past, on the owners and the way the dog was raised. The numbers may be in your favor, but you will never make me believe EVERY attack is a result of the way it was raised. In my eyes, ONE attack is too many.

Urban_Hunter wrote: You have very limited or zero first hand experience with the dog yourself
Speak for yourself buddy, I have been around enough in the past to make an informed decision on what I witnessed firsthand.

Urban_Hunter wrote: it scares you...
Pits and other viscous breeds do not scare me, I usually have about 15-17 .40 caliber bullets waiting on them. Viscous dogs that have a history of mauling people do make me nervous around kids and others who cannot protect themselves, especially if they are in the hands of an ignorant owner who swears they will NEVER get out of line or attack anyone.

Urban_Hunter wrote:What do you propose? Serious question.
The public, especially those who cannot defend themselves need to be made aware of the risk they are taking when in their presence of viscous animals with no means to protect themselves. And owners need to be held accountable for EVERY incident of an attack on an innocent bystander, regardless of the breed. If you as an owner are willing to take that risk, by all means, knock yourself out. Life is too short and I have too many other distractions, family commitments and things to do than raise, own and be held accountable for ANY animal that I personally see as a liability with dire consequences coming my way one day based on the unforeseen and unpredictable actions of it.

Urban_Hunter wrote: They are more dangerous in the hands of idiots than other breeds... in no relation to extended magazines, semi-automatic rifles, etc?
Possibly, at least you believe that. I see no relation to guns, extended magazines etc because a gun cannot act on it's own, nor can an extended magazine etc. Yes, their consequences can be exacerbated in the hands of an idiot, but a viscous dog breed can have dire consequences in the hands of a loving caring owner, I have seen it FIRSTHAND.
Andy S.

Andy S.
16 Point

Postby TheLBLman » Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:53 am

It's my opinion that most us are challenged to see any "bad" qualities in our own children.
When some lady's son robs a convenient store, murders someone, the typical response from the mother is
"Oh, no, not my boy. He wouldn't do that!"

Most of us dog owners are much the same, in denying that even our good dog can have a bad moment.

Andy S. wrote:
The public, especially those who cannot defend themselves need to be made aware of the risk they are taking when in their presence of viscous animals with no means to protect themselves. And owners need to be held accountable for EVERY incident of an attack on an innocent bystander, regardless of the breed. If you as an owner are willing to take that risk, by all means, knock yourself out.

I'm not really sure what the answer is, but i can tell you, most pit bull owners are absolutely NOT assuming the liability risks of their owning a pit.

How many have actually reported that ownership to their homeowner's insurance company?
Even checked for the implications?
How many even have ANY liability insurance in the first place?

This is not so big a deal with chihuahuas and beagles,
but those who fail to see the increased risks of certain breeds over others are in a sad state of denial.
Seriously, check with your homeowner's insurance ---- this just might get your attention,
when a big insurance company considers a pit bull a greater risk than than your home burning down.
TheLBLman
18 Point

Postby Wildcat » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:39 am

TheLBLman wrote:It's my opinion that most us are challenged to see any "bad" qualities in our own children.
When some lady's son robs a convenient store, murders someone, the typical response from the mother is
"Oh, no, not my boy. He wouldn't do that!"

Most of us dog owners are much the same, in denying that even our good dog can have a bad moment.

Andy S. wrote:
The public, especially those who cannot defend themselves need to be made aware of the risk they are taking when in their presence of viscous animals with no means to protect themselves. And owners need to be held accountable for EVERY incident of an attack on an innocent bystander, regardless of the breed. If you as an owner are willing to take that risk, by all means, knock yourself out.

I'm not really sure what the answer is, but i can tell you, most pit bull owners are absolutely NOT assuming the liability risks of their owning a pit.

How many have actually reported that ownership to their homeowner's insurance company?
Even checked for the implications?
How many even have ANY liability insurance in the first place?

This is not so big a deal with chihuahuas and beagles,
but those who fail to see the increased risks of certain breeds over others are in a sad state of denial.
Seriously, check with your homeowner's insurance ---- this just might get your attention,
when a big insurance company considers a pit bull a greater risk than than your home burning down.

I've been telling people that for YEARS, since I first read it in MY OWN homeowners insurance policy, but it doesn't get though. Those SAME people have auto, fire, thief, boat and ATV insurance but NEVER bother to check their policy that owning certain breeds allows the insurance company to CANCEL their policy right then and there the minute they find out they owned a certain breed of dog.
When a United States Congressman gets up and walks out of the House when the American people in the House Gallery chats USA, USA, then you know who hates America.
Wildcat
Non-Typical

Postby Bgoodman30 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:42 am

Andy S. wrote:
Urban_Hunter wrote:I find it interesting that you agree the problem is the owners and not the dog.....
In my opinion, the problem is some owners and some of the dogs, but ENOUGH of each to sway me to never be around either, an unpredictable breed of dog that can inflict deadly harm in a matter of minutes, and owners who claim "my little sweet dog would never do that, and I will forever fail to see the irreversible consequences that can happen any minute".

Urban_Hunter wrote:..... because the dogs can become violent as a direct result of the owners that you blame the dog
I think it is humorous you and other owners even ATTEMPT to put every unexpected attack on an innocent bystander in the past, on the owners and the way the dog was raised. The numbers may be in your favor, but you will never make me believe EVERY attack is a result of the way it was raised. In my eyes, ONE attack is too many.

Urban_Hunter wrote: You have very limited or zero first hand experience with the dog yourself
Speak for yourself buddy, I have been around enough in the past to make an informed decision on what I witnessed firsthand.

Urban_Hunter wrote: it scares you...
Pits and other viscous breeds do not scare me, I usually have about 15-17 .40 caliber bullets waiting on them. Viscous dogs that have a history of mauling people do make me nervous around kids and others who cannot protect themselves, especially if they are in the hands of an ignorant owner who swears they will NEVER get out of line or attack anyone.

The public, especially those who cannot defend themselves need to be made aware of the risk they are taking when in their presence of viscous animals with no means to protect themselves. And owners need to be held accountable for EVERY incident of an attack on an innocent bystander, regardless of the breed. If you as an owner are willing to take that risk, by all means, knock yourself out. Life is too short and I have too many other distractions, family commitments and things to do than raise, own and be held accountable for ANY animal that I personally see as a liability with dire consequences coming my way one day based on the unforeseen and unpredictable actions of it.

Urban_Hunter wrote: They are more dangerous in the hands of idiots than other breeds... in no relation to extended magazines, semi-automatic rifles, etc?
Possibly, at least you believe that. I see no relation to guns, extended magazines etc because a gun cannot act on it's own, nor can an extended magazine etc. Yes, their consequences can be exacerbated in the hands of an idiot, but a viscous dog breed can have dire consequences in the hands of a loving caring owner, I have seen it FIRSTHAND.

Drops . . The problem is regarding pits and their owners is that they are usually irresponsible in general. It’s their life choices that led them to the trailer park and the ghetto... Some pits will be fine their whole life but you are foolish to trust one or their owners regardless of their “raisin’”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Bgoodman30
4 Point

Postby Mike Belt » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:23 am

It would seem the only people that might be swayed by these posts are those that might be entertaining the idea of getting a pit bull having no first hand experience with them. Those that already own/owned one either deny the idea that they could potentially do harm or that they have that potential and choose not to have one. Granted any breed could do damage but the damage done by the pit bull breed exceeds that of most other breeds. Any time I've had any breed of dog that I thought was potentially dangerous didn't last long around my place. I don't like the nervous feeling I get owning that type of a dog and having it around other people, especially children, even if it has been raised around them. You can never be 100% sure as to what your dog might do but odds favor certain breeds.
Mike Belt
Non-Typical

Postby Urban_Hunter » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:23 am

Bgoodman30 wrote:
Drops . . The problem is regarding pits and their owners is that they are usually irresponsible in general. It’s their life choices that led them to the trailer park and the ghetto... Some pits will be fine their whole life but you are foolish to trust one or their owners regardless of their “raisin’”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Sooo, you are saying the problem is irresponsible owners? But you are foolish to trust one or their owners if you don’t know them? Poor life choices created the problem? Did poor life choices made by the pit bull lead them to the trailer park and ghetto? If so, explain how. I’m confused on which part you would like to drop the mic. Is the problem the dog or the owner? Would you trust a Rottweiler not knowing the dog or the owner?

That is the question. Is it a pit bull problem? Is it a problem Rottweiler’s, Shephard’s, Dobermans do not share? I whole heartedly do not believe so.
Urban_Hunter
10 Point

Pit bull...........again

Postby Urban_Hunter » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:52 am

Mike Belt wrote:It would seem the only people that might be swayed by these posts are those that might be entertaining the idea of getting a pit bull having no first hand experience with them. Those that already own/owned one either deny the idea that they could potentially do harm or that they have that potential and choose not to have one. Granted any breed could do damage but the damage done by the pit bull breed exceeds that of most other breeds. Any time I've had any breed of dog that I thought was potentially dangerous didn't last long around my place. I don't like the nervous feeling I get owning that type of a dog and having it around other people, especially children, even if it has been raised around them. You can never be 100% sure as to what your dog might do but odds favor certain breeds.

I do not disagree. I just think it’s a shame that one particular breed is singled out when everyone slips up and agrees that irresponsible owners are the true problem. Deep down everyone thinks twice about stepping in the yard with any big dog, and personally I find no more fear with a pit bull as I do a big chow, Rottweiler, german Shepard, etc. Any of them can hurt you and possibly kill you. I would argue a Rottweiler would be even more dangerous due to size alone.

The proof is in the pudding. You pay big money and go on a guided duck hunt. Their two labs Smokey and Ax come with a mile long pedigree of proven field trial hunters and thousands and thousands of dollars could not buy one of them to bring home with you. Best water dog ever. Even if you did bring them home, they wouldnt make a decent pet. They’re athletes, hyper and anxious, they don’t want to be petted, cuddled, and let out to pee twice a day. You go home and run to petco (or whoever sells ornamental dogs now) and get yourself an akc full blooded lab and take to your hunting buddy and see how fast he laughs you under the table. But it’s a lab right, a hunting dog? No, it wasn’t raised to hunt, it wasn’t bred to hunt, it was made to be a pet. There’s a huge difference in these two dogs. Many trainers will tell you even out of a primo litter “that dog won’t hunt”, a problem so real that some breeders “guarantee” traits such as not being gun shy. My question is why do people who understand this difference in a hunting dog ignore the same principles in any other dog. Any large dog with fighting in its blood lines, raised to be rough and tough for generations is going to be a problem.
Urban_Hunter
10 Point

PreviousNext

Return to TnDeer General Forum