• Advertisement

Bear Poached in Lousiana

Pretty much anything you want to talk about!

Bear Poached in Lousiana

Postby LanceS4803 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:34 pm

Great job, killing a breeding age female bear who is part of a study, in a state with a low population.
AND he's a convicted felon, who isn't supposed to touch firearms.
AND, he can get his hunting license back after paying the $10,000 fine?

http://www.foxnews.com/science/2018/07/11/louisiana-man-who-killed-black-bear-gets-10k-fine.html
TN Lifetime Sportsman license
LanceS4803
10 Point

Advertisement

Re: Bear Poached in Lousiana

Postby cbhunter » Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:33 pm

They will let anyone buy a hunting license. I personally know 2 people in Tennessee that are convicted felons that purchase a hunting license each year, hunt, and check in their kills. Does the state of Tennessee think they are killing them with a stick? Its all about THE ALMIGHTY DOLLAR

Didn't mean to go off topic though. :D
cbhunter
12 Point

Postby TheLBLman » Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:38 pm

cbhunter wrote:I personally know 2 people in Tennessee that are convicted felons that purchase a hunting license each year, hunt, and check in their kills.
Does the state of Tennessee think they are killing them with a stick?

It is NOT illegal for a convicted felon to hunt in Tennessee,
provided they do not hunt with a modern firearm.

It's actually fairly common now to hear,
"I only bowhunt" without elaboration on the reasons.
TheLBLman
Non-Typical

Postby MickThompson » Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:42 pm

cbhunter wrote:They will let anyone buy a hunting license. I personally know 2 people in Tennessee that are convicted felons that purchase a hunting license each year, hunt, and check in their kills. Does the state of Tennessee think they are killing them with a stick? Its all about THE ALMIGHTY DOLLAR

Didn't mean to go off topic though. :D

Every license vendor in the state have access to some form of criminal background information then- they’d know you were a convicted felon if you were declined a hunting licens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MickThompson
8 Point

Postby cbhunter » Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:54 pm

TheLBLman wrote:
cbhunter wrote:I personally know 2 people in Tennessee that are convicted felons that purchase a hunting license each year, hunt, and check in their kills.
Does the state of Tennessee think they are killing them with a stick?

It is NOT illegal for a convicted felon to hunt in Tennessee,
provided they do not hunt with a modern firearm.

It's actually fairly common now to hear,
"I only bowhunt" without elaboration on the reasons.

Yet they admit to me that their probation officer tells them they cannot use any weapon that fires a projectile. That would include bows it seems to me. I will admit that I don't fully expect a probation officer to know the exact law and could be wrong on that.

I will add that they do hunt with muzzys and centerfires and check them in as such when they kill a deer.
cbhunter
12 Point

Postby AT Hiker » Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:57 pm

He thought it was a wild hog?
Admittedly I’ve seen a wild hog in the Smokies one time while deep in the backcountry, first glance I thought it was a bear (I had already had 5 encounters that day) but seconds later I realized what it was. He was across a drainage, maybe 300 yards away.
I wonder how big she was?

AT Hiker
12 Point

Postby TheLBLman » Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:08 pm

Obviously, this guy was hunting illegally (being a felon) simply by having a rifle.

But, I think it's possible he's telling the truth about the mistaken identity.
Saying this because feral pigs would be presumed common, maybe bears not presumed to be there period?

A few years ago, an older hunter with aging eyes shot an elk while deer hunting in East TN.
We may never know whether he was telling the whole truth,
but under the totality of his circumstances, including where he was deer hunting,
his story was somewhat plausible in his thinking he was just killing a weird-racked, large-antlered, large-bodied buck.

Honest mistakes can be made, even by a criminal, or any one of us.
I generally don't see any of us mistaking a pig for a bear, or a deer for an elk.
But it can happen.
TheLBLman
Non-Typical

Postby AT Hiker » Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:19 pm

TheLBLman wrote:
...I think it's possible he's telling the truth about the mistaken identity.
Saying this because feral pigs would be presumed common, maybe bears not presumed to be there period?

That’s why I shared my experience with seeing a wild hog in the Smokies. I had already seen more than enough bears on that hike. When I came upon the hog I thought “oh another bear”...quickly realizing it was a hog.

When I think of Louisiana I also think of thick brush, maybe he came up on it and blindly shot. Still irresponsible and obviously dangerous but I do see how he could mistaken it for a hog given the circumstances.

Actually I think I learned something, I didn’t realize they had bears there. What part of the State, North, South,etc?

AT Hiker
12 Point

Postby Chapman » Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:31 pm

This link shows the areas in La where they are found. http://www.wlf.louisiana.gov/louisiana- ... atus-range
Chapman
6 Point

Postby Pilchard » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:16 pm

I once saw what I thought was a pig swimming across a bay in the Everglades. I ran over to it so I could catch it only to see when I got closer that it was a very large black bear. If you hunt a place that has a lot of pigs and very few bears, I could see this mistake being made- especially if you are taking a quick shot which is the often the case when you are pig killing.
Pilchard
4 Point

Postby AT Hiker » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:21 pm

Chapman wrote:This link shows the areas in La where they are found. http://www.wlf.louisiana.gov/louisiana- ... atus-range

Thank you!

Kinda but not really what I expected to see. Not sure what I expected to see...I’m not to familiar with the East Central potion of the state.

AT Hiker
12 Point

Postby LA man » Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:49 am

Bears are Al over louisiana, some parts have more than others but they are there
LA man
18 Point

Postby BlackEagle1 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:42 am

Like LA man said there’s bears all over. Some places are polluted in them. I actually worked on that black bear project for awhile, and later worked for LDWF at red & three rivers wma (same place this happened). There’s some pretty rough characters that have camps down there, but they sure can cook. Oh and some of the bears I saw up in the Tensas area were absolute giants of the species. There’s a lot of groceries in those swamps.
BlackEagle1
4 Point

Postby LanceS4803 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:56 pm

If the bear population is so high, are they going to open a season?
TN Lifetime Sportsman license
LanceS4803
10 Point

Postby chris1976 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:14 am

Florida is the same way. An over abundance of black bears.

chris1976
8 Point

Postby LY » Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:42 pm

Ran into some traps while working down their several years ago on private property in LA near Natchez that where from UT. I run into the ones in the Smokies all the time but thought it was funny seeing UT research traps all the way down there
LY
6 Point

Return to TnDeer General Forum