Any word from the commission meeting today?

megalomaniac

Did TWRC rubberstamp TWRA's recommendation that no changes be made to spring season? Which commissioners put up the good fight? I can't wait 2 weeks for the youtube stream.

megalomaniac

only first half of the meeting is up... watched it... our voices were certainly heard by the commissioners, but they haven't gotten to statewide big game season structure yet- that part is not available. They addressed WMA's, and motion was made and carried that beardless hens are not to be killed in the fall on WMA's.

I bet the same will pass for statewide fall turkey. But not a darn thing else. Which means we'll save about 400 hens statewide. They better plan to bring the season up next year instead of waiting until 2020... next year is gonna be another bad one.

Setterman

Rockhound":1mval8k1 said:
It appears Jamie woodson is the go to to get things done regarding Turkey's. I'm impressed, she is on em.
Truly shocking, I've known her for a while and always considered her worthless. New found respect

Parahunter

Wonder why the second half with the statewide seasons didn't get posted? Was anybody on here at the meeting?
I am also curious what the email from the NWTF at 10 pm last night said?

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

woodsman04

Setterman":vx9qiej0 said:
Rockhound":vx9qiej0 said:
It appears Jamie woodson is the go to to get things done regarding Turkey's. I'm impressed, she is on em.
Truly shocking, I've known her for a while and always considered her worthless. New found respect

She was one of my district coordinators, I emailed her tuesday. Glad I did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Southern Sportsman

Rockhound":39v5dw7m said:

Absolutely. I was furious when Joy Sweaney rambled off bulls..t about how the 2018 paper tags still have to be counted and numbers analyzed so 2018 data "isn't available." I was then very pleased that Woodson pinned her down on it a few minutes later. For a group that puts so much weight on end of year kill numbers, the numbers are jarring.

I am now a big Woodson fan.

FYI, for anyone just wanting to watch the parts relevant to turkey, start at the 48 minute mark and go through 1:17:00. Then watch 1:47:00 through 1:50:30 to hear Woodson go to bat for outlawing hen killing.

Southern Sportsman

Parahunter":jjpww5g1 said:

44 minute mark of the second video. They recommended a later start date, 3 week season, 2 bird limit, and only allowing 1 bird during the first week. In other words, do exactly what Missouri does because they know what the hell they're doing.

AT Hiker

Southern Sportsman":2ur2iklj said:
Parahunter":2ur2iklj said:

44 minute mark of the second video. They recommended a later start date, 3 week season, 2 bird limit, and only allowing 1 bird during the first week. In other words, do exactly what Missouri does because they know what the hell they're doing.

I double dog dare someone to post this on the Tn turkey hunters Facebook page with a direct link to the NWTF email.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Southern Sportsman

Well, it looks like the only thing they are changing is to eliminate fall hen killing. I'm happy they made that change, but I'm pretty disappointed they aren't doing anything to the start dates, limits, or season length. Several people spoke and the commissioners (Woodson) paid a lot of lip service to peoples' concerns, but the whole thing had a very "maybe next year" feel to it.

It seemed pretty clear to me that they are refusing to make changes during this 5 year research study. At one point they mentioned that modifying the fall hen kill regulations would not affect the study, but for the spring they committed to two years with no regulations changes and hoped for more. I'm afraid there will be a whole lot fewer turkeys to study when the study ends in 2020.

scn, your part was very well said.

megalomaniac

I believe the name "Joe Schultz" was said by Mrs Woodson as the author of the NWTF's recommendations. If so, I applaud him, those were very reasonable to ensure populations stabilize and hopefully increase.

for those of you who did not hear, he recommended reducing limit to 2 birds, only 1 of which can be killed during 1st week, shortening season to 3 weeks, delaying season opening, eliminating all hen killing, and creating a physical tag system to reduce over the limit and poaching. Since the commission and TWRA did not act this year, if we do drop to 25,000 spring kill next year, I wholly support more drastic limitations like proposed by the NWTF over my initial proposal of simply delaying season opening by 2 weeks.

TN Whitetail Freak

NWTF is a joke proposing a 3 week season! That would limit hunters including myself to only be able to hunt maybe 4 times every year! Not enough to buy a license! They are missing the boat by not even mentioning the predator aspect of nest succession in respect to predator raiding.

Latest posts